New Siri Remote touch behavior inconsistent, cause unknown

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    jtalbertjtalbert Posts: 4member
    To me this this does not really sound like a bug with AppleTV or the new remote.  

Its the 3rd party apps. 

Apple has no control over the programability or functionality of 3rd party apps.

Sounds to me like Disney Netflix and others needs to update their app to take full advantage of the new Siri remote.

Disney, I think will be updated to fix this fairly quickly.

Netflix, they are so cheap they don’t want to be part of the integration of Apple TV as all the other major streaming apps are, I dont watch Netflix much anymore. I use Apple TV to see what’s available via streaming apps, so unless it’s something I really want to watch, I dont bother searching Netflix also. 

Will probably drop Netflix soon. 
    gregoriusmRayz2016
  • Reply 22 of 43
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    It’s funny how Apple could have avoided all of these comments by having a more robust beta test. They need actual consumers to test this stuff. 
    muthuk_vanalingamATVUsere
  • Reply 23 of 43
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Gaby said:
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCRUBBING - People are doing it wrong. All you need to do is pause whatever is playing and then gently touch and hold the perimeter of the wheel without moving for about half a second or so, and the scrubbing indicator will appear and you can begin rotating. It took me a minute or so to figure it out but it works consistently if you do it properly. Although I don’t find it any more useful really than scrubbing by sliding left and right. Hope this helps 
    Thanks for the tip. But, this isn’t users doing it wrong. This is Apple designing it wrong. Nowhere does it say on the box or inside the box that you have to touch and hold, wait a bit for an indicator to appear, then perform the gesture. That’s just dumb design. Scrubbing in a circular motion is not an accidental gesture and should simply scrub the video when performed. 

I’ll drop my suggestion to Apple’s feedback page. Thanks again for the tip! 
    gregoriusmmuthuk_vanalingamgatorguyATVUsere
  • Reply 24 of 43
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    mbenz1962 said:
    I think that this “inconsistent” behavior is a combination of user error/no documentation from Apple and that the various streamers out there have different “video players” (APIs ?) built in to their apps. This site was pretty helpful in understanding what to do to get the “circular scrubbing” (which the author of this article calls “rinsing” [maybe a translation error?]) to work. https://www.aroged.com/2021/05/23/siri-remote-2-fast-forward-and-rewind-on-apple-tv/

I did find that this article says that this scrubbing method doesn’t work with Netflix although it does in my case (Germany with a US account base). It also works with Prime and Apple’s native video player (AppleTV+ and iTunes Store purchases). I doesn’t work with Disney+ (yet?). I haven’t yet tried YouTube or any other streamers (HBO et al). 
    Are you telling me that Apple TV apps are as inconsistent as “Smart TV” apps?

I really want to go back to discs.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    rabelais said:
    Appleish said:
    Yeah, that's fixable. But the annoyingly loud click of the buttons are not. With the old remote, I could quietly adjust the volume. That's over.

And why the hell did they move the play/pause button up one? They should have left it and the Siri button where they were and put the mute button on the side.

And speaking of the mute button. Really? Why would you mute rather than pause whatever you are streaming? You'd just have to scrub back to the point where you muted. That button is absolutely useless to me and until muscle memory learns that they moved the play/pause button up one, I will be muting the damn system by accident.

This remote is better in many ways, (it feels great, I love cutting on/off my ATV box/Receiver/TV with one button) but is so baseline annoying in others.

Yes, i would rather mute than pause in live programming commercial that I’m not allow to skip or fast forward through. 
    Sure, Mute has a function (tho it used to be long-press on Volume Down, which rapidly lowered volume). But the question is what deserves the bottom-button position, which is high-value as you can operate it instantly by touch in the dark. I’d argue Play/Pause is higher priority than Mute, and should get the spot. 
    Long press on Volume Down button action like you describe doesn’t work with my Denon receiver that I’ve had for 2 years. It is much much slower than when only a TV was attached. This mute button is much preferred. 
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 43
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Heehee I told ya so! I knew this was a turd. The old design was much better. 

Gaby said:
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCRUBBING (Jog dial) - People are doing it wrong. All you need to do is pause whatever is playing and then gently touch and hold the perimeter of the wheel without moving for about half a second or so, and the scrubbing indicator will appear and you can begin rotating. It took me a minute or so to figure it out but it works consistently if you do it properly. Although I don’t find it any more useful really than scrubbing by sliding left and right. Hope this helps 

What a disaster. You have to PAUSE first?!?!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 43
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    My only issue with the new Apple TV (once I adjusted to the new position of the play/pause button) has been with Family Sharing. I can't seem to add two of my kids accounts to the Apple TV. I have managed to add one of them but the other two just say an account with that name is already being used. Have tried adding/removing them directly on the Apple TV and also via the home app in the "show me on Apple TV" section.

Nothing seems to be working. I thought the issue might right itself after a few days if it was just a HomeKit or other software issue. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    It’s funny how Apple could have avoided all of these comments by having a more robust beta test. They need actual consumers to test this stuff. 
    Actually, it sounds like the problem is folk using non-native frameworks to build apps, then doing it badly. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 29 of 43
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I wonder if it's related to a recent tvOS update?  I ask because our normal ATV Siri Remote has started acting irregularly.  The 10-sec skip-ahead rarely works, and frequently cannot move forward quickly by clicking the pad and swiping right.  Also when we click on the pad, the timeline has the "current time" in the wrong place, in other words, it looks like we are not current and can skip ahead, but we are, indeed, current already.

I actually don’t have a lot of these issues. But one thing that I don’t like is now when you skip ahead 10 seconds it automatically pauses the video now. Before the 10 second would just skip 10 seconds and continue to play. To me this is highly annoying
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Does no one read user guides anymore? On Apple's support site, there are many of them and there is also one for the Apple TV, in which you can very clearly read how the scrubbing works with the new remote.
    foregoneconclusionJapheyStrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 43
    stuartfstuartf Posts: 64member
    MichaelP. said:
    Does no one read user guides anymore? On Apple's support site, there are many of them and there is also one for the Apple TV, in which you can very clearly read how the scrubbing works with the new remote.
    No people (and myself) do not read guides for devices that are supposed to be simple to use and for which there have been several iterations before that did not require reading a guide. 

FYI - Even when I go to the AppleTV support page it is not easy to find the information on the new remote. On the UK page I had to search for the new remote support info to get me to the new support guide. It doesn't appear on the main appleTV support guide page at all which still leads with the old models and remote

This shuttle wheel action was a tentpole feature of the new remote.

In fact. The Event video infers that this is a simple jog dial you use by moving your finger in a circular fashion, iPod style. It does not show any part of the pause video and wait sequence. The video jumps straight to a timeline being scrolled with a circle displayed. Poor editing possibly but a wasted opportunity to explain this action and new user experience, that seems to have stumped many intelligent people and prompted several articles and hundreds of comments across tech sites. 

It would be a far better single step UX experience to recognise the circular scrolling action and after a short delay to prevent false positives, invoke the action. Completely intuitive and nothing to learn.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 43
    stuartf said: No people (and myself) do not read guides for devices that are supposed to be simple to use and for which there have been several iterations before that did not require reading a guide. 
    It's not really a "guide". If you look at the marketing section for the new ATV 4K, it has an animated section that shows the two different gestures for scrolling vs scrubbing when using the remote. Personally, I haven't had any issues with getting either gesture to work on my remote. They both worked exactly as I expected them to. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MichaelP. said:
    I don't recall having to consult a user guide with any other remote ever.  Apple's famous ease of use and intuitive design shining bright.
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 43
    stuartf said: No people (and myself) do not read guides for devices that are supposed to be simple to use and for which there have been several iterations before that did not require reading a guide. 
    It's not really a "guide". If you look at the marketing section for the new ATV 4K, it has an animated section that shows the two different gestures for scrolling vs scrubbing when using the remote. Personally, I haven't had any issues with getting either gesture to work on my remote. They both worked exactly as I expected them to. 
    Do you have a link to this? There are zero animations on the AppleTV 4K marketing page that loads for me, even if I force the USA site.

I reiterate that it's dumb to have a 3 step process including a wait that could be easily achieved with one action. Why need the need to pause for example if you have to hold a finger in pace to activate?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    stuartf said:
    Do you have a link to this? There are zero animations on the AppleTV 4K marketing page that loads for me, even if I force the USA site.

I reiterate that it's dumb to have a 3 step process including a wait that could be easily achieved with one action. Why need the need to pause for example if you have to hold a finger in pace to activate?
    https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/

Scroll down until you see the 'All the Best TV. And it Shows' headline and it appears soon after that. The remote animates towards you as you scroll and you'll see a sequence of animated dots showing the clicking/scrolling/scrubbing gestures displayed on the pad/ring. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 36 of 43
    stuartf said:

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/

Scroll down until you see the 'All the Best TV. And it Shows' headline and it appears soon after that. The remote animates towards you as you scroll and you'll see a sequence of animated dots showing the clicking/scrolling/scrubbing gestures displayed on the pad/ring. 
    Thanks.  Interesting. It is the same page I was visiting. It displays the animation only on iPhone and not Safari on M1. 

The animation doesn't however show the extra steps required to get continuous circular scrolling working which are: Hit pause, rest finger on jog wheel, wait a short period of time for the circle animation. Then circular scroll.

If you do what this animation shows you get a forward scrub, not the continuous scroll wheel action being discussed

• Reply 37 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Beats said:
    Heehee I told ya so! I knew this was a turd. The old design was much better. 
    Gaby said:
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCRUBBING (Jog dial) - People are doing it wrong. All you need to do is pause whatever is playing and then gently touch and hold the perimeter of the wheel without moving for about half a second or so, and the scrubbing indicator will appear and you can begin rotating. It took me a minute or so to figure it out but it works consistently if you do it properly. Although I don’t find it any more useful really than scrubbing by sliding left and right. Hope this helps 
    What a disaster. You have to PAUSE first?!?!
    Not a disaster. Guess you don’t remember the original Siri Remote which didn’t require a pause first - and people complained because merely touching it triggered scrubbing. Now they’ve fixed that by requiring a pause first, aaaaand you’re complaining. Hmm. 
  • Reply 38 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    crowley said:
    MichaelP. said:
    I don't recall having to consult a user guide with any other remote ever.  Apple's famous ease of use and intuitive design shining bright.
    Then you’ve never used a Harmony remote - you need to take a 2-week course to learn how to use the software just to program it. 

But assuming you mean normal TV remotes, they obviously don’t have touch gestures, so nothing to learn. And if you feel like it you don’t need to learn these touch gestures either because jog dial is an optional feature, and in no way required for daily use. So….errrrrnnnntt. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Just got my Siri Remote and set it up.  Managed to get the wheel to work in playback scrubbing (though agree that it's badly designed), but cannot work out how you can use the wheel to navigate a list.  Is that not a thing it can do?

Seems more than a little half baked right now.
    ATVUsere
  • Reply 40 of 43
    But assuming you mean normal TV remotes, they obviously don’t have touch gestures, so nothing to learn. And if you feel like it you don’t need to learn these touch gestures either because jog dial is an optional feature, and in no way required for daily use. So….errrrrnnnntt. 
    My iPhone, iPad and Mac all have touch gestures and they're all very intuitive.  This Siri Remote seems like a marked improvement in lots of ways, but this particular feature, which Apple made a significant deal of in the announcement, does not work nearly as intuitively or consistently as you'd expect from Apple's other products.

It's not a Harmony Remote, sold as an optional extra for AV geeks, it's the standard remote for Apple TV, a consumer device.  It shouldn't be this hard.
    muthuk_vanalingamATVUsere