Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.4 with support for Apple Podcast Subscriptions

Posted:
in macOS edited May 2021
Apple Podcast Subscriptions is the most visible new feature in the updated macOS Big Sur 11.4, now publicly available.

Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.4
Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.4

Following four rounds of beta versions, Apple has now publicly released macOS Big Sur 11.4, which will now also be supplied pre-installed on new Macs. As ever, the company has not provided any extensive details about the update, but it does feature two significant additions.

For this release, Apple has included support for its Apple Podcast Subscriptions, enabling listeners to pay for podcasts through the service. The Podcasts app also enables the grouping of collections of shows from specific podcast creators.

An important, if not entirely visible change, is that macOS 11.4 now supports graphics cards based on AMD's Navi RDNA 2 architecture, including the 6800, 6800XT, and 6900XT.

Compared to the previous Big Sur 11.3 update -- which introduced AirTag support, changes to Safari, and more -- this is a minor release. It does, however, feature unspecified bug fixes and overall performance improvements.

It is likely that the update also has some behind-the-scenes changes in preparation for new support for new Apple Music features that are on the way. As already announced, Apple Music will introduce higher-quality audio, beginning in June, including Spatial Audio, Dolby Atmos support, and Lossless Audio options.

The update is now rolling out worldwide and compatible Macs will automatically prompt users to install it. Users can also go to System Preferences, Software Update, to begin the process.

This update to macOS comes shortly before Apple is due to announce the successor to Big Sur, at WWDC on June 7, 2021.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Ok I updated macOs, padOS, and the rest, bu I might as well have skipped it. Podcast subscriptions I won’t be using,  support for AW features in countries I don’t live in and Apple card that i dont have. If it weren’t for a couple of bug fixes, and that the nagging bugs me, I wouldn't have bothered. 
  • Reply 2 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Were there references to new MacBook Pro models in this version? Wondering if it has support for rumored WWDC releases. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    DAalseth said:
    Ok I updated macOs, padOS, and the rest, bu I might as well have skipped it. Podcast subscriptions I won’t be using,  support for AW features in countries I don’t live in and Apple card that i dont have. If it weren’t for a couple of bug fixes, and that the nagging bugs me, I wouldn't have bothered. 
    Considering all updates have had bug fixes for forever, not sure why you even give it a second thought. It’s not like you exert any energy at all running an update. 
  • Reply 4 of 6

As ever, the company has not provided any extensive details about the update, but it does feature two significant additions.
    Weird, because they did. It's detailed right in System Preferences:

and here:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211896

• Reply 5 of 6
    Earlier today I downloaded the complete OS 11.4 release, did a clean, fresh installation onto a partition contained on my external Samsung T7 1 TB SSD, and did the normal migration of Apps, Settings, etc. from my Mac Mini to that partition. Testing has been going well, and I also installed the Big Sur version of Onyx, and V14.0.1 of TechTool Pro. All my third party applications are working flawlessly, Just need for SuperDuper! V3.5 to be released, and then I'll purchase an M1 Mac Mini from Costco (real good price: $599 for Costco members). Dave has made the 3rd beta of V3.5 of SD available, but I want the non-beta release. I suspect it will be soon.

In any event, V11.4 of Big Sur seems fine.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member
    DAalseth said:
    There are also very important security fixes in there, including issues that are being used in the wild.

If someone hasn't updated, they should.
    fastasleep