Upcoming USB-C standard more than doubles power delivery to 240W

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mcdave said:
    What modern computers need that much power?
    Cryptominers?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    netrox said:
    sflocal said:
    That's seriously impressive power.  While I know that charging MacBooks comes close to that 100w limit on USBc, are there any peripherals currently that use that much power over USBc?

I'm curious what the transfer speed will be with USB5?  Will it use a faster version of the Thunderbolt interface?
    I think it's more for allowing several devices to be powered without needing AC adaptors. 

Honestly, I would like to see an end to terrible AC adaptors and use power USB-C as the port to rule for all devices that require that kind of power. I am so done with those junk adaptors with different ports. USB-C can easily negotiate for power requirement while AC adaptors cannot hence different port shapes. 

And I'd love to see more of USB-C outlets in the walls too - a lot of devices can do just fine with just 240W or less. Most 75" TVs are less than 140W, I believe so it stands to benefit from using USB cord rather to use ac adaptors. 
    Seems like a sound reason to lose a house sale: your outlets  are out of date. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    nicholfd said:
    mcdave said:
    My 2019 16" MacBook Pro, Core i9, connected to Apple supplied 96W adapter is not enough sometimes.  When the processor and/or GPU are under heavy load, and the fans are blasting, it draws > 110W (show via iStat Menus), and the battery starts draining.  This has occurred during gaming. & when running 6 x Windows VMs (Microsoft AD environment/simulation).

Apple does not throttle the machine when power draw exceeds the AC adapter.  Most non-Apple systems slow down the machine to keep the power draw with the ability of the adapter.
    I said “modern” computer and people keep talking about intel clunkers.
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    mcdave said:
    nicholfd said:
    mcdave said:
    My 2019 16" MacBook Pro, Core i9, connected to Apple supplied 96W adapter is not enough sometimes.  When the processor and/or GPU are under heavy load, and the fans are blasting, it draws > 110W (show via iStat Menus), and the battery starts draining.  This has occurred during gaming. & when running 6 x Windows VMs (Microsoft AD environment/simulation).

Apple does not throttle the machine when power draw exceeds the AC adapter.  Most non-Apple systems slow down the machine to keep the power draw with the ability of the adapter.
    The "Intel clunker" gets modern work done, that an M1 cannot do.  I need to be able to run Intel based VMs daily - you did see the part about 6 x Windows VMs for testing/simulation an ActiveDirectory environment, right?

And the games I use for occasional R&R, are not playable on the M1 at 4K - it doesn't support an eGPU like I have.  Again, it does not meet my needs.

I have 2 x M1 minis & a M1 Air that I love, but they can't replace the Intel model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    nicholfd said:
    mcdave said:
    nicholfd said:
    mcdave said:

The "Intel clunker" gets modern work done, that an M1 cannot do.  I need to be able to run Intel based VMs daily - you did see the part about 6 x Windows VMs for testing/simulation an ActiveDirectory environment, right?

And the games I use for occasional R&R, are not playable on the M1 at 4K - it doesn't support an eGPU like I have.  Again, it does not meet my needs.

I have 2 x M1 minis & a M1 Air that I love, but they can't replace the Intel model.
    Everything you’ve mentioned just sounds like ‘The Past’.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    mcdave said:
    nicholfd said:
    mcdave said:
    nicholfd said:
    mcdave said:

Everything you’ve mentioned just sounds like ‘The Past’.
    It is not "The Past".  It is a current job requirement & what is done TODAY in the present time.

Maybe you don't live in the present time?  Do you think Microsoft's AD environment (Intel only) is going to go away (it's not), or that people are going to stop playing games when they don't run well/at all on an Apple M1 (they're not)?  That is the current present time.