Apple seeking business manager with cryptocurrency, alternative payment experience

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Apple is seeking a business development manager focused on "alternative payment" platforms, such as digital wallets or cryptocurrency, to lead partnerships for its financial services.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

According to a job listing posted Wednesday, Apple is looking to hire a person to join its Apple Wallets, Payments, and Commerce (WPC) team to lead alternative payment partnerships.

"We are looking for a proven professional in global alternative and emerging payment solutions. We need your help forming partnership framework and commercial models, defining implementation paradigms, identifying key players and managing relationships with strategic alternative payment partners," Apple wrote.

In other words, the hire would become Apple's chief negotiator for partnerships in the alternative payment space.

The role requires at least five years of experience "working in or with alternative payment providers, such as digital wallets, BNPL, Fast Payments, cryptocurrency and etc." Another qualification includes "deep knowledge of the alternative payments ecosystem, understanding the complexities of funds flow, roles/responsibilities for settlement, relevant regulations and industry standards and the wide spectrum of FinTech products."

Additionally, the role would require the business development manager to provide insights and opportunities to Apple teams to grow Apple Pay and Apple's Wallet services.

Apple maintains tight control over payments across its ecosystem, including the App Store. In recent years, that control has come under scrutiny from app developers and government regulators.

The restrictions on App Store payments became the catalyst for Epic Games' antitrust lawsuit against Apple. In its complaint, Epic alleged that developers could accept "bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies" were it not for Apple's guidelines.

The Epic Games v. Apple trial officially ended on Monday, capping off three weeks of arguments and testimony. A court ruling, which could potentially change the way Apple operates, is expected later in 2021.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No brainer. Elon Musk  B)
    hentaiboy
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I can just see it now. Applecoin. Like Bitcoin, but done right.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Stop this scam now! 
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacMplsP
  • Reply 4 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Please no.  End the madness.
    GeorgeBMacDogpersonMplsP
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apple has what, $192B in cash reserves?

DOGECOIN TO THE MOON!!!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 19
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Apple calls privacy a human right. Digital currency's main benefit is privacy/anonymity. It seems like a perfect fit.

P.S. Except for the Digital Yuan, which is not anonymous. China can see/void/take your Digital Yuan currency anytime it wants.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    following in tesla’s lead
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 19
    That's great! I am going to go mine some Bitcoin on my iPhone right now. Oh right, I can't. The iPhone App Store is a monopoly and Apple does not allow crypto mining apps on its App Store because they don't think their customers should do that with their iPhones.
    edited May 2021 williamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 9 of 19
    That's great! I am going to go mine some Bitcoin on my iPhone right now. Oh right, I can't. The iPhone App Store is a monopoly and Apple does not allow crypto mining apps on its App Store.
    Hehe. Nice spin. If Apple offered Android on its iPhones, would that be good enough for you? I'm serious. Or is your real problem that iOS doesn't give you all the freedoms that you think you are entitled to?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    byronl said:
    following in tesla’s lead
    Yeah, Steve's nose reeks of Musk right now, right. [rolls eyes]

This is an extension of Apple Pay, not some stupid hero worshiping nonsense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    That's great! I am going to go mine some Bitcoin on my iPhone right now. Oh right, I can't. The iPhone App Store is a monopoly and Apple does not allow crypto mining apps on its App Store because they don't think their customers should do that with their iPhones.
    So get Xcode, write your own application, and run it on your own phone. You can run your own code on your own devices without any direct involvement of Apple-the-company. You don't even need to be a member of the developer program.
    FileMakerFellerfastasleephammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Chainlink would be perfect 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    The iPhone App Store is a monopoly and Apple does not allow crypto mining apps on its App Store because they don't think their customers should do that with their iPhones.
    Did you even do a web search before making this claim? I think not. Google Play store also bans crypto mining. Did you know that? I think not. Did you ever think why they do this? Because overheating from mining can cause physical damage to the phone. Have you ever griped about Google banning crypto mining apps? I think not. Do you hold Apple and Google to the same standards? I think not.

Do you think apps stores run by third parties, like Epic, will ban crypto mining? I really don't know. Do you think Apple has to warranty its iPhones if there's damaged caused by crypto mining apps obtained through its own store? Do you think the app store operator is responsible for apps which secretly do bitcoin mining and damage your iPhone without having told the app store about it? Do you think Apple can legally void its hardware warranty if a third party app store is ever installed on your iPhone? Perhaps.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-crypto-mining-android-malware-is-so-demanding-it-burst-a-smartphone/ <--
    edited May 2021 patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The iPhone App Store is a monopoly and Apple does not allow crypto mining apps on its App Store because they don't think their customers should do that with their iPhones.
    Did you even do a web search before making this claim? I think not. Google Play store also bans crypto mining. Did you know that? I think not. Did you ever think why they do this? Because overheating from mining can cause physical damage to the phone. Have you ever griped about Google banning crypto mining apps? I think not. Do you hold Apple and Google to the same standards? I think not.

Do you think apps stores run by third parties, like Epic, will ban crypto mining? I really don't know. Do you think Apple has to warranty its iPhones if there's damaged caused by crypto mining apps obtained through its own store? Do you think the app store operator is responsible for apps which secretly do bitcoin mining and damage your iPhone without having told the app store about it? Do you think Apple can legally void its hardware warranty if a third party app store is ever installed on your iPhone? Perhaps.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-crypto-mining-android-malware-is-so-demanding-it-burst-a-smartphone/ <--

bestkeptsecretBombdoelkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:

Braun Strowman FTW!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Seriously though, imagine the news coverage Apple would get if they helped some crypto-mining developer create a Metal-enabled miner (at least on the Mac, maybe not on phones, heh). Apple would suddenly go from the platform that you can't mine crypto on, to a pretty attractive one. Heck, with the efficiency of Apple Silicon, they could even jump on the greener-alternative bandwagon right while the controversy is hot.

On the other hand, maybe Apple has decided to help Podcasting 2.0's value block? That would be a way to gain some good karma with the podcast community (which they could use right about now).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Rayz2016 said:

<GIF>
    Thanks, I didn't know one could post GIFs here. I also think your post was a compliment of sorts. Thanks. In fact, it looks like one of the best compliments I've ever seen on this website. Nine times out of ten the responses to my posts are negative ones, not positive. One needs a thick skin to be able to interact on sites like this.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cgWerks said:
    Seriously though, imagine the news coverage Apple would get if they helped some crypto-mining developer create a Metal-enabled miner (at least on the Mac, maybe not on phones, heh). Apple would suddenly go from the platform that you can't mine crypto on, to a pretty attractive one. Heck, with the efficiency of Apple Silicon, they could even jump on the greener-alternative bandwagon right while the controversy is hot.

On the other hand, maybe Apple has decided to help Podcasting 2.0's value block? That would be a way to gain some good karma with the podcast community (which they could use right about now).
    Have you seen what's happened with graphics cards lately?  Do you really want iPhones to become attractive to crypto miners?  I'd quite like to buy an iPhone again in the coming decade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    crowley said:
    Have you seen what's happened with graphics cards lately?  Do you really want iPhones to become attractive to crypto miners?  I'd quite like to buy an iPhone again in the coming decade.
    Well, as noted above, probably not a great idea to run it on phones. But, it I'd love to see more of that kind of thing Metal'ized so it could run properly on Macs with GPUs. (Or, if you don't like crypto, there are things like Folding@home which Macs can't do well either... or a ton of pro 3D software, or games, etc. which all need to be converted to Metal.)

Yeah, I've absolutely seen what has happened with GPUs. It kind of sucks, but I think it will be temporary. On the plus side, my eGPU is worth more than when I bought it (and I've got one of the supposedly overpriced Blackmagic units).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it going again under Windows/Bootcamp, so I can't mine with it, or use it for Revit (which is what I bought it for originally). I'm a bit tweaked at Microsoft/Apple at the moment for mucking that aspect of things up.
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra