Apple currently limiting M1 iPad Pro apps to 5GB RAM each

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Apple gets to make all the decisions for how a customer can use their iOS devices. Why should RAM be any different? Apple firmly believes that people are just not smart enough to make decisions like "this app is really important to my work so it should be able to use all the RAM." or "I need to manage my personal network so I am going to let this app see the MAC addresses so it can track and identify the devices I have connected to it." You absolutely can't make a decision like "I don't like all of Apple's restrictions so I will install this third party App Store."
    Seems like better, more flexible multitasking is on its way. 
    I suspect the overwhelming majority of people would never know the difference; this limitation is something developers would need to be aware of, not the average user, and even then it really only affects apps that deal with very large projects. And yes, I completely agree that the average user is not smart enough. This is a decision that likely was made to improve and simplify the user experience. Apple would get far more complaints if an app took so much RAM that it compromised performance in another area. It’s part of the balance between flexibility or control and a simple, smooth user experience. 

@fastasleep - I hope you’re correct in your prediction!
    williamlondondewme
  • Reply 42 of 49
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    brauntj said:
    thedba said:
    5GB RAM-gate?

I bought the iPad, I should be able to use as much RAM as I want.

That’s why the iPad cannot be used for “real work”. 

Any other upcoming arguments I missed?
    This is why we need a third party OS. Apple shouldn’t have a monopoly on their hardware platform like this. 

Get a Google Chrome crap book then your problems would be solved.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Apple gets to make all the decisions for how a customer can use their iOS devices. Why should RAM be any different? Apple firmly believes that people are just not smart enough to make decisions like "this app is really important to my work so it should be able to use all the RAM." or "I need to manage my personal network so I am going to let this app see the MAC addresses so it can track and identify the devices I have connected to it." You absolutely can't make a decision like "I don't like all of Apple's restrictions so I will install this third party App Store."
    You’ve said this before about MAC addresses, but I still have an app on my iPad that can identify device MAC addresses. /shrug 
    https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/cant-fing-see-mac-addresses-ios-11/
    https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14
    williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 49
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    People getting upset over this simply don't understand what the article is saying, why Apple does what it does, or how apps on iOS work.  Who in THE world uses only a single app on their iOS device?  Answer: nobody.  As such, if I have a 16GB iPad and I have 3 apps open which are intelligently capped to 5GB each, it mean I can seamlessly switch between the three with no slowdowns because all 3 remain in RAM.  But if one were allowed to commandeer ALL the RAM for the sake if giving 1 person in 100,000 the ability to run 116 layers, how is that not marring the overall experience by ejecting all other apps from RAM?

Therefore, the solution would appear to me to be RAM options beyond 16GB for people who need it, rather than complain about the intelligent 5GB per-app RAM cap.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 49
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    danox said:
    brauntj said:
    thedba said:
    5GB RAM-gate?

I bought the iPad, I should be able to use as much RAM as I want.

That’s why the iPad cannot be used for “real work”. 

Any other upcoming arguments I missed?
    This is why we need a third party OS. Apple shouldn’t have a monopoly on their hardware platform like this. 

Get a Google Chrome crap book then your problems would be solved.
    Jfc, pay attention
  • Reply 46 of 49
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    jdw said:
    People getting upset over this simply don't understand what the article is saying, why Apple does what it does, or how apps on iOS work.  Who in THE world uses only a single app on their iOS device?  Answer: nobody.  As such, if I have a 16GB iPad and I have 3 apps open which are intelligently capped to 5GB each, it mean I can seamlessly switch between the three with no slowdowns because all 3 remain in RAM.  But if one were allowed to commandeer ALL the RAM for the sake if giving 1 person in 100,000 the ability to run 116 layers, how is that not marring the overall experience by ejecting all other apps from RAM?

Therefore, the solution would appear to me to be RAM options beyond 16GB for people who need it, rather than complain about the intelligent 5GB per-app RAM cap.
    Or Apple can implement what they do in macOS => SSD swapping.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Apple will likely add a capability to iOS/iPadOS 15 that allows developers to unlock extended memory access at WWDC 2021. Developers can then apply for that privilege with the caveat that they don’t abuse it, etc. 
  • Reply 48 of 49
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Figures, tbh. Apple touts the hardware specs of the iPad Pro line around every turn, but the software side is nowhere near its capabilities. I'm not the first to make this point.
    Let's be honest, iPadOS is the limiting factor. Compared to an M1 Mac, it's a nearly worthless device.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 49 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    amar99 said:
    Figures, tbh. Apple touts the hardware specs of the iPad Pro line around every turn, but the software side is nowhere near its capabilities. I'm not the first to make this point.
    Let's be honest, iPadOS is the limiting factor. Compared to an M1 Mac, it's a nearly worthless device.
    5GB of RAM for a single app. How will you ever get by. 🙄

The reason Apple mostly touted the HW of the new iPad Pro is because the HW is the new aspect since the SW was announced and demoed a year ago and released and updated multiple times 9 months ago. DO you really think iPadOS won't have improvements shown in a week at WWDC?
    watto_cobra