LCD iMac at current iMac pricing?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Sorry, but I disagree with a lot of your posts for one reason and one reason ONLY. Steve has said that he wants the consumer to have the SuperDrive by 2002. Then there is the fact that this show is supposed to be REALLY BIG.

Normally, I am usually very reserved and I try to hold my expectations very low. However I can not shake the feeling that two big things are going to happen:

LCD iMac G4:

All have:

32 MB Nvidia GeForce 2

G4 running at 867 - 1 GHz (my bet is on 933)

10/100 BaseT

56k Modem

2 USB

2 Firewire

15" LCD display

Base ($1099):

128MB RAM

40GB HardDrive

CD-RW

Mid ($1299):

256MB RAM

60GB HardDrive

ComboDrive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)

High ($1499):

256MB RAM

80GB HardDrive

SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)

Then there is the infamous G5. I honestly see this happening. Do I have inside information?? Did I manage to get Steve drunk?? Nahh, I go by more reliable sources; my gut.

Here is what I see:

1.0 GHz G5

256MB DDR-RAM (400 MHz)

60GB HardDrive

2 USB

2 FireWire

64MB Nvidia GeForce3

4 PCI Slots

SuperDrive

$1799

1.2 GHz G5

512MB DDR-RAM (400 MHz)

80GB HD

2 USB

2 FireWire

64MB Nvidia GeForce3 (Dual Display)

4 PCI Slots

SuperDrive

$2299

1.4 GHz G5

512MB DDR-RAM (400 MHz)

2 x 60GB HD

2 USB

2 FireWire

64MB Nvidia GeForce3 (Dual Display)

4 PCI Slots

SuperDrive

$2999

Here is my prediction. Do with it as you will. I think that this is the one to go with though!!
  • Reply 21 of 37
    "733 Mhz G4

133 Mhz Bus

256 MB RAM

60 GB HD

15.1 inch LCD

nVidia Geforce 2 MX 16 MB

$1299

$1499 with superdrive"

Agreed Applenut, but I think the CRT model would probably be the 700 MHz and it would ONLY be available for education at $799.

I also think we may see a $999 iMac, that looks like this:

733 MHz G4

15 inch LCD

128 MB RAM

40 GB

CD-RW

nVidia GeForce2 MX 16 MB

BTW, you didn't specify, but the $1299 model will most likely have a CD-RW/DVD combo drive. I think you may have posted this elsewhere though.

Who knows though, we may see 1 GHz Apollos. In all 3 models. That would just make my jaw hit the floor.

If the G5s come in at 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6, its entirely possible, but I think they will be 1, 1.2, and 1.4.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I think applenut's specs are probably the most realistic, save his price on the low-end iMac. $799 for a 600 MHz G3 and substandard features is still too expensive.

Mr. Eggleston, I am inclined to believe that we might actually see Macs with specs like yours at the show. I am still not convinced that a SuperDrive will make it into the top iMac model, though.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    iMacs = 1.? Gig Apollo, starting @ $999

Power Mac = 1.? G5 starting at @ $1999
  • Reply 25 of 37
    700mhz g3

128mb

30gig

combo

15.1" lcd

$999

800mhz g3

128mb

40gig

combo

15.1" lcd

$1199

1ghz g3

256mb

60gig

combo

15.1" lcd

$1499
  • Reply 26 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Daver:

<strong>Mr. Eggleston, I am inclined to believe that we might actually see Macs with specs like yours at the show. I am still not convinced that a SuperDrive will make it into the top iMac model, though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What is with the Mr. Eggleston crap?? I appreciate the respect (god knows there is so little these days) and I think that you are right about these being a little less than realistic. Now the reason why I stand by these is because when the iMac first came out, everyone thought its specs were a little unrealistic as well.

But, time will tell.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    corvette's specs seem to be realistic, though apple may suprise us with some kick ass specs......

only time will tell
  • Reply 28 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Cobra:

<strong>

That would be sweet as hell but I sort of doubt it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then you shall be suprised.

Think about how and why it would be financially beneficial for Apple to use the same(or very similar) LCD as the PowerBook G4...

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 37
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I'll drop the formalities next time, Mike.

corvette's specs are indeed reasonable, but I strongly believe that the iMac will go the way of the iBook and offer only a single speed (or perhaps two).
  • Reply 30 of 37
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    When talking about Gateway computers remember that Gateway makes its money not on the hardware but rather on the extra warrenties and such that it sells in its stores. In fact, the lose money on the hardware.

That is also why they are bleeding....
  • Reply 31 of 37
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    The iMacs are rumored to be the same speed chip like the iBooks with only HDs, and optical drives seperating them. So all the talk about 600mhz, 700mhz , etc, I think you need to also look at the possibility that the speed will be the same across the line.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    They can maintain the current price points. The current iMacs are ridiculously over-priced. 999 - 1499 ought to supply a range of fast LCD machines. A bare LCD panel is now quite cheap, less than 180 for a 15". So it probably adds no more than $100 dollars to the cost. However, the new enclosure should be easier to cool, manufacture, warehouse, and ship, thereby negating a little more of the extra cost of an LCD -- not quite the whole difference but enough that Apple could leave the price points alone and still make nice money.

I wouldn't mind if Apple kept a Classic CRT iMac around for awhile, provided it was very cheap. No more than 699, and perhaps as low as 599 for education. A small HDD, Cd-Rom only version in one color only.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    maybe i'm getting really spoiled by all the rumors...but i really want a G4 iMac with superdrive on the top line...and would be willing to spend a bit more for it....didn't think it had a chance of happening just a month ago, but now i really have my heart set on it....make it a special edition iMac and bump the price to 1599 or even up to 1799 if they have to with those specs...if not, maybe i finally break down and get a tower...would like the G4 and superdrive because my daughters like to film and edit movies and our current iMac DV 400mhz has too small a hard drive and could use more speed---what i would love:

G4 933--133bus

60-80 HD

256ram

15 LCD

superdrive

$1599-1799

i know i'm dreaming...guess a tower is in the future...but dang i like the all in one concept as we don't need a fast gaming card and i can add ram myself...we really don't need to constantly up-date our system here---last mac we bought before the imac was a quadra 605 that lasted 7 years (1992-1999) before we up-graded---this imac is only 2 years old, but won't really be replaced...we still will use it for papers, homework, e-mail and everything we do now....just need a second computer because 5 people are using one computer and we are now doing larger projects with the digital camcorder....steve jobs should be pushing the limits of the new iMac to fill the needs of homes like ours....from grandma doing email and church flyers to grandkids burning cds and making dvd movies....just my thoughts and my hopes...g
  • Reply 34 of 37
    I just wanted to point out that Apple invested 100 million into Samsung(their lcd supplier) about a year ago. I think Apple probably has the advantage to keep lcd iMac's in line with the crt models.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    Jeez mr.e enough about the samsung investment already.And by the way wasn't the samsung invest purely to ensure supply of lcd's during a uncertain period of time in lcd supplies.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    And apple could also put 256 mb ram in the entry level and 512mb ram in the high end like there doing in the powerbooks .Ram is cheap dont see why it cant happen. But knowing apple dont think it will.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    I have SERIOUS doubts about apple mixing anything giant in thier computers...

I.E. All G3's or all G4's

All GeForce 2MX's or all radeons or whatever...

all LCD or all CRT

the problems with case design/motherboard design don't make it worth it.

I won't bother guessing what will come out, I probably have a better chance of winning the lottery. I'm just going to say that all that will change from the high to the low end is the Mhz/ram/HD/optical drive.