Former Apple CDO Jony Ive helped design the 24-inch iMac

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    I’ve no doubt had a hand in the overall shape amd thinness. 

But there is no way he signed off on the power brick. 

There is so much room inside the new enclosure that the brick contents could be expanded and shielded. - especially since they decided to use a chin to house the SOC. 

Steve Jobs would not have went with the brick littering the floor idea. Neither would I’ve. 

It seems some questionable design choices have come along since Ive’s role changed. 

Big Sur has some unfortunate design choices as does the new iMac. 

One of the biggest pluses in Apple design is that they know when to say “no” to things. 

The fact that there is now a brick that just literally plops unceremoniously on your floor, littering it, is a definite sign that this is being forgotten. 

Hopefully they remember this and fix it. This is Apple. They have a rich heritage in figuring things out better than anyone else. But the whole brick thing just screens cheap, tacky, and very Microsoft or Dell-like. 

Here’s hoping I’ve had more of a hand in the forthcoming iMac Pro amd MacBook Pro designs. 

This is a great point and all you have to do is ignore all the products that came during the Job and Ive tenure that had power bricks. G4 Cube? Never existed, original AirPort? Completely fictional. AirPort Extreme? never heard of it. G4 Mac mini? What's that? Cinema displays? Fake news. Intel Mac mini? bullocks to that. 
    That would be a great point - if we were talking a decade or more ago. And if we weren’t talking about desktop computers instead of routers and monitors, but since you brought it up...

Even the Apple thunderbolt display moved to packing the power supply INSIDE the enclosure. It used a CABLE which plugged elegantly into the wall. Nothing to trash up the floor. The Apple AirPort Extreme you mention? Yep. Cable. Direct to outlet. For the last couple generations actually. 

Oh. You want to talk about the original, ancient versions. Steve Jobs took those and put the power supplies inside, thanks. 

In fact, the old AirPort Extreme using a power adapter was one thing many reviewers derided as just another thing to have to manage or figure a way to hide. 

Apple ended up moving the power supply inside of that exact same enclosure in the time capsule. 

Thanks for making my point that the power brick was the old way of doing things. Those products are all around 10-15 years ago or more. 

And Jobs himself presided over the move to enclosed power supplies. It’s not to say he’d never use a brick. That’s just how things were forever ago. But he would not now. There is no need to. And it looks nasty. 

And by the way, the G4 cube was a flop. A rare bundle of bad decisions from a guy who was usually right, but also merely human. 

Power bricks suck. And do not belong in a 2021 Apple desktop. 

Heck even the iPads external charger plugs neatly into the wall outlet and doesn’t litter the floor. MacBook Pro? Power adapter/charger plugs neatly into the wall. 

Nobody wants a brick littering the floor. This isn’t 1990s or early 2000s. This is 2021 Apple. And power supply is an integral part of the computer. You literally cannot separate the two. The whole sleekness of the iMac is thrown off by the extension of it just plopped wherever you can find to put it. 

Apple, please put the power supply back inside the enclosure. It’s the right thing to do. 
    Uhhhh.... I have to talk about a decade ago because we are talking about design decisions Steve Jobs signed off and and Steve passed away ..... wait for it .... wait for it.... ten years ago!  

As for your rambling and largely irrelevant rant. To just about everybody that isn't you this is a non-issue. This is not the big deal you so desperately want it to be. No, go outside, take a deep breath and enjoy life. 

So you literally made my point about the power brick being an old idea whose time has passed based on apples own transitions away from it - also signed off on by the same jobs. 

With advancement in capability comes advancement in product in line with the relentless match toward perfection by jobs and Apple. 

But hey, if you want to defend the power brick to your dying breath and pretend that this is somehow a good thing or improvement, more power to you. Fisher price is looking for investors. 
    You are really bothered by this. Like, really bothered.  
  • Reply 62 of 74
    iadlibiadlib Posts: 97member
    Duh. This is round trip for Jony. Back to rainbows after years of whites and shades of gray. 
  • Reply 63 of 74
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,374member
    iadlib said:
    Duh. This is round trip for Jony. Back to rainbows after years of whites and shades of gray. 
    They are seriously good colours in person. Best time to do it is when you can do it well. 
    iqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 74
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 435member
    The iMac design is nothing out of the ordinary that any industrial designer could not have thought of. Apple should move on from Ive. He is overrated. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 65 of 74
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    mattinoz said:
    iadlib said:
    They are seriously good colours in person. Best time to do it is when you can do it well. 
    This is true, in my opinion at least. I can vouch for the blue finish.
    AI_lias said:
    The iMac design is nothing out of the ordinary that any industrial designer could not have thought of. Apple should move on from Ive. He is overrated. 
    ...and yet, here they are and there you are...
    williamlondonfastasleepdewmeStrangeDaysmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 74
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Missed the window for editing.

'The power brick is going away because, effectively, mains AC power...' ---> 'The power brick is not going away because, effectively, mains AC power...'
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 74
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    Just keep Jony away from designing any more keyboards please. We’ve had enough of his lifeless, super shallow keyboards (ie butterfly) that numb the fingers. 
    williamlondonAI_liaselijahg
  • Reply 68 of 74
    omasouomasou Posts: 606member
    MplsP said:
    lam92103 said:
    So is that why it only comes with 2/4 USB-C ports?
    The ports are my biggest/only real complaint with the new iMac. I’ve never thought that having all of the ports on the back was a good idea. Put at least one or two on the side so they’re accessible. aAnd limiting the low end Mac to just 2 ports??? It’s not a laptop; you can’t even make a half-assed space or power excuse. I’d also like to see at least one USB A port. Even 6 years after Apple declared ‘USB C is the future’ USB A is still incredibly common. My new Apple TV came with a USB A charging cable last week. 
    Need to wean yourself off of USB A. I'm tried of seeing USB A and have switched over to USB C, even if it requires a dongle. Surprised to hear the Apple TV still has USB A. Shame on Apple for that.
    williamlondonstompy
  • Reply 69 of 74
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,943member
    AI_lias said:
    Ah yeah, anybody could have thought of it…but no one did. Until now. Sooo…reality is calling. 
    williamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 74
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,784member
    thedba said:
    elijahg said:
    MplsP said:
    lam92103 said:
    So is that why it only comes with 2/4 USB-C ports?
    The ports are my biggest/only real complaint with the new iMac. I’ve never thought that having all of the ports on the back was a good idea. Put at least one or two on the side so they’re accessible. aAnd limiting the low end Mac to just 2 ports??? It’s not a laptop; you can’t even make a half-assed space or power excuse. I’d also like to see at least one USB A port. Even 6 years after Apple declared ‘USB C is the future’ USB A is still incredibly common. My new Apple TV came with a USB A charging cable last week. 

Market pressure. Companies still selling devices with USB-A are only looking at the here and now, not the longer-term longevity of the devices. USB-C supports USB-A (via an adapter), but not the other way around, so it makes sense to provide USB-C and let consumers downgrade if they need to.
    USB A supports USB C with an adapter. iPhones come with USB A cables. So is Apple only looking at the here and now? Or is Apple not wanting to piss off iPhone customers who mostly have USB A everywhere, and don’t care about Mac users?

Syntech USB C Female to USB Male Adapter(3 Pack), Type C to USB A Converter Compatible with Laptops, Power Banks, Chargers, for iPad Air 4/iPad Pro 2020, iPhone 11/12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20 etc https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085VT1VJT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_B3MCRRFN6NR02EHXQG68
    No they don’t.
    All iPhone models sold by Apple today, including the XR come with a lightning to USBC cable.
    Ah, my X came with a USB A cable. Either way A to C is possible, as is C to A.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 74
    macxpress said:
    I've kinda always thought the what would Steve do conversation is pointless. Nobody knows what Steve would do, or approve of with today's Apple. Steve isn't here and he isn't running Apple so what difference does it make? Also, its not like Steve couldn't be persuaded with decisions either. He was the ultimate flip flopper. 
    Pretty much nailed it. The whole what Steve would do conversation is inane. No one knows what he would have done, it doesn’t matter because the guy wasn’t perfect and ultimately the people who knew his decision making best are at Apple not AI comment section. 
    By that metric Apple shouldn't be following the direction Jobs set, and should ignore the DNA he infused into the company and head off in a different direction. Probably not the best idea.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    iqatedo said:
    I’ve no doubt had a hand in the overall shape amd thinness. 

But there is no way he signed off on the power brick. 

There is so much room inside the new enclosure that the brick contents could be expanded and shielded. - especially since they decided to use a chin to house the SOC. 

Steve Jobs would not have went with the brick littering the floor idea. Neither would I’ve. 

It seems some questionable design choices have come along since Ive’s role changed. 

Big Sur has some unfortunate design choices as does the new iMac. 

One of the biggest pluses in Apple design is that they know when to say “no” to things. 

The fact that there is now a brick that just literally plops unceremoniously on your floor, littering it, is a definite sign that this is being forgotten. 

Hopefully they remember this and fix it. This is Apple. They have a rich heritage in figuring things out better than anyone else. But the whole brick thing just screens cheap, tacky, and very Microsoft or Dell-like. 

Here’s hoping I’ve had more of a hand in the forthcoming iMac Pro amd MacBook Pro designs. 

This is a great point and all you have to do is ignore all the products that came during the Job and Ive tenure that had power bricks. G4 Cube? Never existed, original AirPort? Completely fictional. AirPort Extreme? never heard of it. G4 Mac mini? What's that? Cinema displays? Fake news. Intel Mac mini? bullocks to that. 
    That would be a great point - if we were talking a decade or more ago. And if we weren’t talking about desktop computers instead of routers and monitors, but since you brought it up...

Even the Apple thunderbolt display moved to packing the power supply INSIDE the enclosure. It used a CABLE which plugged elegantly into the wall. Nothing to trash up the floor. The Apple AirPort Extreme you mention? Yep. Cable. Direct to outlet. For the last couple generations actually. 

Oh. You want to talk about the original, ancient versions. Steve Jobs took those and put the power supplies inside, thanks. 

In fact, the old AirPort Extreme using a power adapter was one thing many reviewers derided as just another thing to have to manage or figure a way to hide. 

Apple ended up moving the power supply inside of that exact same enclosure in the time capsule. 

Thanks for making my point that the power brick was the old way of doing things. Those products are all around 10-15 years ago or more. 

And Jobs himself presided over the move to enclosed power supplies. It’s not to say he’d never use a brick. That’s just how things were forever ago. But he would not now. There is no need to. And it looks nasty. 

And by the way, the G4 cube was a flop. A rare bundle of bad decisions from a guy who was usually right, but also merely human. 

Power bricks suck. And do not belong in a 2021 Apple desktop. 

Heck even the iPads external charger plugs neatly into the wall outlet and doesn’t litter the floor. MacBook Pro? Power adapter/charger plugs neatly into the wall. 

Nobody wants a brick littering the floor. This isn’t 1990s or early 2000s. This is 2021 Apple. And power supply is an integral part of the computer. You literally cannot separate the two. The whole sleekness of the iMac is thrown off by the extension of it just plopped wherever you can find to put it. 

Apple, please put the power supply back inside the enclosure. It’s the right thing to do. 
    Uhhhh.... I have to talk about a decade ago because we are talking about design decisions Steve Jobs signed off and and Steve passed away ..... wait for it .... wait for it.... ten years ago!  

As for your rambling and largely irrelevant rant. To just about everybody that isn't you this is a non-issue. This is not the big deal you so desperately want it to be. No, go outside, take a deep breath and enjoy life. 

So you literally made my point about the power brick being an old idea whose time has passed based on apples own transitions away from it - also signed off on by the same jobs. 

With advancement in capability comes advancement in product in line with the relentless match toward perfection by jobs and Apple. 

But hey, if you want to defend the power brick to your dying breath and pretend that this is somehow a good thing or improvement, more power to you. Fisher price is looking for investors. 
    The power brick is going away because, effectively, mains AC power this close to a system such as the new M1 iMac is going to be a relic of the past. Plugging a mains cord into such a computer will be seen as laughable. Apple again is at the front. Thanks Apple.
    What are you on about? Plugging mains power into a desktop will be laughable? How? Whether it's converted from 110/240vAC to 24vDC or whatever the iMac uses, it's still mains power.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,447member
    henrybay said:
    Just keep Jony away from designing any more keyboards please. We’ve had enough of his lifeless, super shallow keyboards (ie butterfly) that numb the fingers. 
    Still the dumbest argument about the butterfly keyboards is that they're painful or numbing. If you didn't adjust your typing pressure, the problem is with you, not the keyboard. Do you type as hard on an iPhone or iPad as you did with the old Apple Extended Keyboard II? No.
    watto_cobra