Apple launches new Pride music page celebrating LGBTQ+ artists

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    xbit said:
    Beats said:

Where’s my straight old man mix????
    Here you go.
    FYI: Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, Dave Davies, Debbie Harry...all bisexual. 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

The dude just wants to listen to his classical. Is that ok with you? There is nothing wrong with Apple promoting whatever “month” is this month. Unless, of course, the user has specifically asked not to be notified about anything outside of their genre of choice. Some people just want to open the app and start listening, without having to sift through whatever social cause is being currently promoted. It doesn’t mean that these people don’t support those causes, or even that they are conservative. It simply means that they only want to listen to what they want to listen to and don’t need, or want, any input from Apple about what that might be. Does that seem like a fair expectation to have? Or, have I somehow triggered you too?
    I think you missed my point. He can listen to whatever music he likes, but Apple has every right to promote certain causes because some of their customers will enjoy those recommendations. It's Pride month; that's just a fact. There are thousands of businesses promoting things this month, like they promote Black History Month etc. It's Global Running Day this week; I guess Apple shouldn't give people an Apple Watch badge for doing a treadmill workout on that day because some people don't like running? They just create the playlist and release it; they're not targeting anyone.

Also, there is no option to excuse yourself from such promotions, so they just promote them. They aren't being sent specifically to this guy, so he shouldn't really grumble that it's being pushed onto him.

As I've already mentioned, Apple Music requires you to give it the info so it can be better tailored to your requirements. You need to tell it you don't like certain songs. It'll get better. You can't expect it to be 100% tailored to you at any point.
    No, I understood your point because I’m not an idiot. You were trying to shame someone simply because they expressed a disinterest in dealing with the Apple Music equivalent of pop up ads. He admitted to being new to the service, and he admitted to repeatedly telling it what he did and didn’t like. He then expressed annoyance at having been ignored. Perhaps he hasn’t been using it long enough for it to learn his preferences. And, no, you can’t expect everything to be 100% tailored to you, but you also can’t expect it to be 0% tailored to you either…which is exactly the experience he reported having. I think that gives him every right to grumble. 
    mrstep
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

The dude just wants to listen to his classical. Is that ok with you? There is nothing wrong with Apple promoting whatever “month” is this month. Unless, of course, the user has specifically asked not to be notified about anything outside of their genre of choice. Some people just want to open the app and start listening, without having to sift through whatever social cause is being currently promoted. It doesn’t mean that these people don’t support those causes, or even that they are conservative. It simply means that they only want to listen to what they want to listen to and don’t need, or want, any input from Apple about what that might be. Does that seem like a fair expectation to have? Or, have I somehow triggered you too?
    I think you missed my point. He can listen to whatever music he likes, but Apple has every right to promote certain causes because some of their customers will enjoy those recommendations. It's Pride month; that's just a fact. There are thousands of businesses promoting things this month, like they promote Black History Month etc. It's Global Running Day this week; I guess Apple shouldn't give people an Apple Watch badge for doing a treadmill workout on that day because some people don't like running? They just create the playlist and release it; they're not targeting anyone.

Also, there is no option to excuse yourself from such promotions, so they just promote them. They aren't being sent specifically to this guy, so he shouldn't really grumble that it's being pushed onto him.

As I've already mentioned, Apple Music requires you to give it the info so it can be better tailored to your requirements. You need to tell it you don't like certain songs. It'll get better. You can't expect it to be 100% tailored to you at any point.
    No, I understood your point because I’m not an idiot. You were trying to shame someone simply because they expressed a disinterest in dealing with the Apple Music equivalent of pop up ads. He admitted to being new to the service, and he admitted to repeatedly telling it what he did and didn’t like. He then expressed annoyance at having been ignored. Perhaps he hasn’t been using it long enough for it to learn his preferences. And, no, you can’t expect everything to be 100% tailored to you, but you also can’t expect it to be 0% tailored to you either…which is exactly the experience he reported having. I think that gives him every right to grumble. 
    You know the person in question never stated their gender right? 

What I find odd is taking an article about a pride play list and using it to vent about Apple Music in general. It certainly is dismissive of the actually content of the article. And while I think root cause of that is probably just being a bit tone deaf it I isn’t unreasonable for someone to look at this thread and think “it’s not Apple Music that these people don’t like” 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 518member
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

"This guy" never said anything was being pushed only into my feed, I'd just like a way to turn off what is unneeded noise.  I will not care just as much (little?) when Global Running Day shows up.  I fully understand if suggested content needs training to make it more targeted, I'd just like a quick way to also browse what I'm actually interested in, which is for some reason asking too much in your opinion.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 518member
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

What I find odd is taking an article about a pride play list and using it to vent about Apple Music in general. It certainly is dismissive of the actually content of the article. And while I think root cause of that is probably just being a bit tone deaf it I isn’t unreasonable for someone to look at this thread and think “it’s not Apple Music that these people don’t like” 
    I signed up this past weekend, didn't realize there was additional content [to me corporate noise / to you corporate guidance] being pushed pretty regularly into the UI when I saw this article - it's just spammy for how I want to use Apple Music - and since I was already annoyed with it not respecting my musical preferences after it asked me what types of music I wanted to hear, I asked about filtering while being irritated, so yes on the tone not being thrilled.  I'll see how the suggestions learn over time & it sounds like the best approach is to avoid the Browse / Video tabs since they don't seem to populate based on preferences.  (I'm not insulted by an assumption of 'he' on a username starting with "Mr", it's a safe enough guess - Japhey, you win!)
    Japhey
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mrstep said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

I signed up this past weekend, didn't realize there was additional content [to me corporate noise / to you corporate guidance] being pushed pretty regularly into the UI when I saw this article - it's just spammy for how I want to use Apple Music - and since I was already annoyed with it not respecting my musical preferences after it asked me what types of music I wanted to hear, I asked about filtering while being irritated, so yes on the tone not being thrilled.  I'll see how the suggestions learn over time & it sounds like the best approach is to avoid the Browse / Video tabs since they don't seem to populate based on preferences.  (I'm not insulted by an assumption of 'he' on a username starting with "Mr", it's a safe enough guess - Japhey, you win!)
    I fully understand what your complaints are. It's using an article about an underrepresented group to air your general issues with Apple Music is kinda tacky. It comes off as "Yeah whatever these people have been historically marginalized but I have unrelated complaints that are more important."

I didn't say you should be offended, I was just pointing out that you shouldn't assume someone's gender which dovetails into Pride month rather well. And for what it worth, your screen name could also be seen as start with Mrs. Which would normally indicate female pronouns :)
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

You’re right, they never started their gender. However, when I originally referred to said individual as a “dude”, and was not corrected by the same person in their response to me, I took that as confirmation of my assumption. 

I have no idea why they choose an article about a pride playlist to vent their frustrations with Apple Music IN GENERAL. Perhaps it was simply the first opportunity they had, as they are still new to the service. What I do know is that expressing a frustration with being ignored and being aggressively promoted things which one has no interest in does not imply a judgement, either way, on that which is being promoted. I don’t know how much clearer I can can be on this point. If you take it any other way, then I’m sorry. 
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

You’re right, they never started their gender. However, when I originally referred to said individual as a “dude”, and was not corrected by the same person in their response to me, I took that as confirmation of my assumption. 

I have no idea why they choose an article about a pride playlist to vent their frustrations with Apple Music IN GENERAL. Perhaps it was simply the first opportunity they had, as they are still new to the service. What I do know is that expressing a frustration with being ignored and being aggressively promoted things which one has no interest in does not imply a judgement, either way, on that which is being promoted. I don’t know how much clearer I can can be on this point. If you take it any other way, then I’m sorry. 
    And you missed the point. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

No. You missed the point. It is NOT about judgement or commentary on any person, or group of people, or month dedicated to celebration, social awareness and education. It is a judgement about receiving unsolicited recommendations that you don’t want. Not one person here has said anything even remotely negative about Pride itself or of anyone represented by it. To infer otherwise says more about your own over-sensitivity to benign triggers.  THE TIMING IS JUST A COINCIDENCE- that is the point. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

No. You missed the point. It is NOT about judgement or commentary on any person, or group of people, or month dedicated to celebration, social awareness and education. It is a judgement about receiving unsolicited recommendations that you don’t want. Not one person here has said anything even remotely negative about Pride itself or of anyone represented by it. To infer otherwise says more about your own over-sensitivity to benign triggers.  THE TIMING IS JUST A COINCIDENCE- that is the point. 
    I didn’t say there was judgment or commentary that you think I did is pretty clear indication of you missing the point. I said to was dismissive. That you don’t see how it is dismissive of the community doesn’t make it any less dismissive it’s simply your blind spot showing. Further you are doubling down on dismissive when you try to shout down a queer person that is pointing out the issue. You are so accustom to having your way you can’t deal with someone challenging your worls
    view and got put me in my place. Your take on this is the exact reason Pride is relevant and needed. 

edited June 2021
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

I didn’t say there was judgment or commentary that you think I did is pretty clear indication of you missing the point. I said to was dismissive. That you don’t see how it is dismissive of the community doesn’t make it any less dismissive it’s simply your blind spot showing. Further you are doubling down on dismissive when you try to shout down a queer person that is pointing out the issue. You are so accustom to having your way you can’t deal with someone challenging your worls
    view and got put me in my place. Your take on this is the exact reason Pride is relevant and needed. 

Oh my god. How do you know that I’m not queer myself?  To dismiss something IS to pass judgement on it and determine that it’s not worthy of your attention. So, in a way, you did imply there was judgement. And I’m saying that someone simply wanting to access their music without obstruction is neither dismissive nor judgmental. That the matter was brought up during Pride is inconsequential. It could be a National Pizza Day playlist that we’re talking about instead. Pride is not the point. Please stop trying to make it the point and accuse me of shouting you down like I’m shaming you or something. I would never do that. I’m simply trying to prove my point to someone that obviously wants to take this personally like it’s some sort of attack. Again, it’s not. Of course, Pride is relevant and important  and needed…please stop implying that I am suggesting otherwise. 

You are so accustom to having your way you can’t deal with someone challenging your worls
    view and got put me in my place”

-lol, aren’t you literally doing the exact same thing?

Look, either I’m really bad at explaining my point, or you’re just taking this whole thing too personally. Either way, this is my last post on the matter, and I wish you well. Happy Pride, friend. 

• Reply 32 of 32
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    Japhey said:

Oh my god. How do you know that I’m not queer myself?  To dismiss something IS to pass judgement on it and determine that it’s not worthy of your attention. So, in a way, you did imply there was judgement. And I’m saying that someone simply wanting to access their music without obstruction is neither dismissive nor judgmental. That the matter was brought up during Pride is inconsequential. It could be a National Pizza Day playlist that we’re talking about instead. Pride is not the point. Please stop trying to make it the point and accuse me of shouting you down like I’m shaming you or something. I would never do that. I’m simply trying to prove my point to someone that obviously wants to take this personally like it’s some sort of attack. Again, it’s not. Of course, Pride is relevant and important  and needed…please stop implying that I am suggesting otherwise. 

You are so accustom to having your way you can’t deal with someone challenging your worls
    view and got put me in my place”

-lol, aren’t you literally doing the exact same thing?

Look, either I’m really bad at explaining my point, or you’re just taking this whole thing too personally. Either way, this is my last post on the matter, and I wish you well. Happy Pride, friend. 

I’ll bite. Are you queer?

you aren’t bad at explains your point, I fully understand it. If anyone is bad at what they are saying it must be me because your response are relevant.
    edited June 2021