Satechi's new Aluminum Hub & Stand is designed with iPad Pro in mind

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2021
Satechi has now released its latest iPad accessory, the Aluminum Hub & Stand that lives up to its "hub" name with a bevy of useful ports.

Satechi Aluminum Hub & Stand. Keyboard not included.
Satechi Aluminum Hub & Stand. Keyboard not included.

The new Satechi Aluminum Hub & Stand is designed for any USB-C-equipped iPad including the latest iPad Air fourth-generation and iPad Pro. It starts folded into a compact brick, but when needed, the stand can swivel out to hold the iPad in position.

Satechi Aluminum Hub & Stand closed
Aluminum Hub & Stand closed for portability

Propped up, Satechi says the iPad can easily be used as a secondary monitor, as a drawing canvas, or a way to FaceTime friends, coworkers, or family.

There are several ports on the rear of the Aluminum Stand & Hub. Satechi has included a 4K HDMI port with support up to 60Hz, a USB-A port with up to 5Gbps data transfer, a USB-C PD port for up to 60W of power input that will be passed to your iPad, a 3.5mm audio jack, and finally both SD and microSD card readers. It connects to your iPad via an aluminum-clad USB-C cable that protrudes from the right.

Aluminum Hub & Stand ports
Aluminum Hub & Stand ports

Aside from iPad, you can also use the USB-C hub with any other USB-C device such as a Mac, Microsoft Surface, or an Android phone.

The new Satechi Aluminum Stand & Hub is available to order now for $99 from both Satechi's website and Amazon, though if buying directly from Satechi, save 20 percent with the promo code IPADPRO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    One port too few, to be useful: a second USB-C port.

Right now, e.g. I use the MagicKeyboard’s USB-C to power both the iPad Pro 12” as well as a Raspberry Pi which is powered and networked with the iPad Pro over the built in USB-C port. 

I wouldn’t be able to do that, as the built-in USB-C port is used to connect the hub, and the hub’s USB-C port is used for power. There’s no USB-C port left to attach any USB-C device.

Useless, in a time where more and more peripherals are USB-C
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    No Gigabit Ethernet? No Thunderbolt 4 input? Useless. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Satechi makes some nice stuff, but this thing is ugly af.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    I must be strange I still want to use my iPad in portrait mode when working like this yet all stands and covers I've seen are landscape only. 
    Does it really matter of a keyboard is wider than the device?

watto_cobra