Google unveils wireless Pixel Buds A-Series Airpods competitor for $99

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Google has announced the Pixel Buds A-Series wireless earbuds, the company's latest attempt at the wireless audio market -- one that undercuts Apple's cheapest AirPods by $60.

Credit: Google
Credit: Google

The Pixel Buds A-Series are Google's cheapest Pixel Buds yet at $99. For that price, however, Google says that users will get about the same sound quality as the 2020 Pixel Buds.

In addition to good audio and a cheaper price tag, the Pixel Buds A-Series sport a new design that includes a "gentle seal" and a spatial vent for normalizing in-ear pressure. There are also beam-forming microphones for clearer audio calls and Google Assistant built-in.

Unlike Apple's more expensive AirPods Pro, the Pixel Buds A-Series don't have active noise cancellation. Instead, Google has added a so-called Adaptive Sound feature that will automatically adjust headphone volume based on an environment's ambient noise levels.

The Pixel Buds A-Series are said to last about five hours on a charge, and pack an additional 24 hours of battery life in their charging case. They're IPX4 rated for water-resistance, meaning they can be worn in the rain or during sweaty workouts.

For iPhone users, the Pixel Buds don't offer the same level of tight integration with the Apple ecosystem. However, they are cheaper than competing products on the market and could signal that a wireless earbud price war could be on the horizon.

Apple is reportedly working on a new generation of AirPods that could combine elements of both AirPods and AirPods Pro. Past rumors suggest that the so-called "AirPods Pro Lite" will focus on minor refinements and changes.

The $99 Pixel Buds A-Series come in white or dark olive. They're currently available for preorder and will begin shipping out to customers on June 17.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Time and time again, Apple nails the design and usage aspect of each product they put out. Obviously there are always a few examples where people could disagree, but this is definitely not one of them. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Where are these 

Pixel Buds made? My guess is Taiwan. 

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Time and time again, Apple nails the design and usage aspect of each product they put out. Obviously there are always a few examples where people could disagree, but this is definitely not one of them. 
    I expect this to be ignored after a couple years like most google hardware projects.
    lkruppBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    How would these companies produce any products if not for taking the lead from Apple’s designs? Even the Android engineers knew that had to start over when the first iPhone was announced. 
    kiowavtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This is embarrassing!

“How else is a computer/software/laptop/phone/earbud/tablet/watch/wireless earbud/speaker supposed to be designed?!!!!???!”

-iKnockoff morons

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    kiowavtkiowavt Posts: 95member
    Tight integration??  My AirPods now constantly jump to the wrong device when about to or even when using.  They also disconnect.  I loved them, but they got so smart using the H1 that they are no longer used during my work day.  And yes, software up to date and I read the Apple Insider article on how to mitigate this.  But the AirPods did not listen.  
  • Reply 7 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    kiowavt said:
    Tight integration??  My AirPods now constantly jump to the wrong device when about to or even when using.  They also disconnect.  I loved them, but they got so smart using the H1 that they are no longer used during my work day.  And yes, software up to date and I read the Apple Insider article on how to mitigate this.  But the AirPods did not listen.  
    So take them in. They're clearly not supposed to behave that way, especially if you've turned off device switching. Mine work just fine.
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wonder if they’ll randomly play ads every 15 minutes or send what your listening to back to google. 
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp said:
    How would these companies produce any products if not for taking the lead from Apple’s designs? 
    Pixel Buds look nothing like any Apple product, and include some features not available on Airpods. No idea what Pixel Bud design cues you think were stolen from Apple. Can you give us a hint at what design feature you're referring to? 
    edited June 2021 KITA
  • Reply 10 of 15
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    How would these companies produce any products if not for taking the lead from Apple’s designs? 
    Pixel Buds look nothing like any Apple product, and include some features not available on Airpods. No idea what Pixel Bud design cues you think were stolen from Apple. Can you give us a hint at what design feature you're referring to? 
    Can you show any products before AirPods which put the receiver in a pod for charging? 
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    This is a good thing. It really shouldn’t matter what Google chooses to do here. Copy Apple? Don’t copy Apple? Hopefully, this will drive the prices of Apple wireless earbuds down. Let’s face it, they are great but they are also a bit over priced.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Can you show any products before AirPods which put the receiver in a pod for charging? 
    Ah, so that's the "design cue"? If that's the best you could come up with you made my point. 
    edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    When it is on sale for $59 I will get one. It is inspired by Apple's AirPods design with its own take that I can respect. Apple copy ideas from Android too but with its own take as well so those are copies we can respect. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    kiowavt said:
    Apple added an auto connect feature for AirPods with ios 14 that is far from perfect. You can disable it and go back to manually switching the device connection with your AirPods. I suspect you’ll be a lot happier. 
    Alex_Vmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 15
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Samsung Gear Iconx (2016) - Samsung's first truly wireless earbuds

Samsung39s Gear Icon X heart-rate fitness earbuds are completely wireless  coming later this year - CNET

Onkyo W800BT (2015) - If I'm not mistaken, these are the first truly wireless earbuds

ONKYO Full Wireless Earphone W800BTB Black Japan Domestic Model  Amazonca Electronics

Motorola Moto Hint (2014) - this one was actually put to market as a wireless headset

Motorola Moto Hint Plus Interactive Wireless Earbud Dark Amazonca Cell  Phones amp Accessories
    avon b7