iOS 14 now installed on 85% of all compatible iPhones, Apple says

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has released new iOS adoption statistics indicating that iOS 14 is installed on 85% of all iPhones and 90% of devices released in the last four years.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

According to Apple's new data, only 10% of users with an iPhone released in the last four years are running an older version of iOS. Among them, about 8% are on iOS 13, while 2% are running an earlier version.

Among all devices that Apple is tracking, 85% are running iOS 14. As with iPhones released in the last four years, 8% are running iOS 13. However, when all iPhones are added to the mix, about 7% have an earlier iOS version installed.

It's a similar story for iPadOS. Apple says 91% of iPads released in the last four years are on iPadOS 14, while 8% are using iPadOS 13 and 1% are using an older operating system update.

When tracking all iPads, Apple says that 79% are using iPadOS 14. Across the rest of the Apple tablets that the company is tracking, 9% are using iPadOS 13 and 12% are using an earlier version.

The Apple data was collected by analyzing App Store visits on June 3, 2021.

Apple's iOS 14 update appears to be outpacing previous versions. In June of 2020, the newest version at the time -- iOS 13 -- was only installed on 81% of all compatible iPhone models.

The first-party Apple data also lines up with recent estimates by app analysis firm Mixpanel. In April, the firm estimated that iOS 14 had exceeded 90% adoption.

The updated adoption numbers come a few days ahead of Apple's WWDC 21 event, during which the company is expected to unveil iOS 15 and other new operating system updates.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Apple has been making it more and more difficult not to upgrade. Good in some ways, in other it appears to just be an arbitrary move 

Siri features that don’t work if your phone is not the same version as your HomePod, simply bot seeing devices in HomeKit, requiring later OS’s to run updated Apps. The old iWork suite is a big and constant criminally bad offender for this. 

But it’s working and achieving this uniformity they are after. 

I do wish they would tone it down in some areas. 
    dewme
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple has been making it more and more difficult not to upgrade. Good in some ways, in other it appears to just be an arbitrary move 

Siri features that don’t work if your phone is not the same version as your HomePod, simply bot seeing devices in HomeKit, requiring later OS’s to run updated Apps. The old iWork suite is a big and constant criminally bad offender for this. 

Most users only need a carrot to upgrade. Others need a 2X4 between the eyes to get their attention.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member

What crime does Apple commit by pushing people to upgrade? Siri is partly based on the phone and does some processing there. Why do you think features will be the same when you are not upgraded? Apple isn’t getting paid to push upgrades and there is new features, privacy and security updates with new upgrades. Apple is pushed by security researchers and users to keep their devices with the best security and privacy they can. Users have to upgrade to get that however. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

What crime does Apple commit by pushing people to upgrade? Siri is partly based on the phone and does some processing there. Why do you think features will be the same when you are not upgraded? Apple isn’t getting paid to push upgrades and there is new features, privacy and security updates with new upgrades. Apple is pushed by security researchers and users to keep their devices with the best security and privacy they can. Users have to upgrade to get that however. 
    Upgrades also remove features and compatibility sometimes.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    It used to be that the last upgrade an Apple device received was the one that made the continued use of the device totally miserable. I think they have gotten kinder and gentler. I can still use my 2012 iMac with Catalina and it is a very pleasant ride. I have zero complaints about it although Garage Band users may disagree. Contrast that to my old iPads, iPod Touches, iPhones, and an iPad mini that are forever stuck at a version of the OS that renders them frustratingly useless. I wish I could roll them back to a couple of earlier versions, but I understand security concerns prohibit doing so.
    edited June 2021