Apple's latest 'Mythic Quest' tie-in is a digital book by C.W. Longbottom

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Apple this week published "Tears of the Anaren," the touted novella penned by "Mythic Quest" character C.W. Longbottom.

The book and accompanying audiobook, both available for free through Apple Books, is a send-up of the fantasy writing genre, reports ScreenTime.

"Behold an unforgettable intergalactic love story, rescued from the mists of time and brought to you by the visionaries behind Mythic Quest, the world-changing video game at the heart of the Apple TV+ Original Series," the book's description reads.

The "never-before-published" draft of "Tears of Anaren" was the subject of this week's "Mythic Quest" episode, which offers a glimpse into Longbottom's backstory. Credited in the show as a Nebula Award-winning science fiction and fantasy author, Longbottom is Mythic Quest's head writer and office squatter.

This is the third "Mythic Quest" tie-in to blur the line between fiction and reality, and follows the release of a web game to go along with season one episode "Dark Quiet Death," and a more recent Keynote presentation to pitch mobile game "Grouchy Goat."

"Mythic Quest" is currently in its second season on Apple TV+.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on new launches and updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,676member
    I don't read many novels, but I might read this one since it's only 16 short pages long. But on opening this book I noticed that the image of the "author" was an image of C.W. Longbottom at his old age. It should have been a photo of the actor who actually played C.W. Longbottom during the 1970s when the book was written. That was not an apropos decision. It tears me up.
    ramanpfaffStrangeDaysentropys
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ramanpfafframanpfaff Posts: 140member
    "Tears me up." Brilliant episode. I've downloaded.
    entropys
  • Reply 3 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    "Tears me up." Brilliant episode. I've downloaded.
    I completely agree. This episode is on par with S01E05 “A Dark Quiet Death” in being one of the best things on Apple TV so far. Though, full disclosure, I am a huge Josh Brener fan. And I agree with 22july2013 above in that his photo should be the one in the book. 
    ramanpfafffastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,005member
    This was such a beautiful episode. It stands on its own and it’s part of the show. 
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,676member
    There was a similar standalone episode in season one which had something to do with how the company formed and how they got their building.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,448member
    Audiobook is read by McElhenny and F. Murray Abraham btw. Just downloaded. :)

I didn’t love s1 beyond Dark Quiet Death much, but I’ll keep going if it’s true this episode follows in that vein.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I don't read many novels, but I might read this one since it's only 16 short pages long. But on opening this book I noticed that the image of the "author" was an image of C.W. Longbottom at his old age. It should have been a photo of the actor who actually played C.W. Longbottom during the 1970s when the book was written. That was not an apropos decision. It tears me up.
    The short story includes current-day commentary from CW, so it makes sense that it shows his current picture.