iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 status will restrict what notifications are shown

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2021
Apple's software changes will include quite a few enhancements in iOS and iPadOS including status changes affecting notifications, while iPadOS will gain enhanced multitasking and widget placement options.

Apple is expected to use its WWDC 2021 keynote to show off upcoming features and changes it will be making to its main operating systems this fall. On Saturday, a report claimed to outline some of the changes anticipated for iOS 15 and iPadOS 15.

In the keynote, Apple will try to make privacy a more important item for users to manage, according to Bloomberg. As part of the push, a new control panel will be included in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 that will show detail on what kind of data is being collected by third-party apps that are installed on devices.

A new status option will be offered, allowing users to set if they are sleeping, working, driving, or don't wish to be disturbed. Depending on the status, specific notifications and alerts will be shown to the user, while others will be silenced until another status that permits them is in use.

The current Do Not Disturb mode already limits notifications being shown to the user, though it seems the proposed system offers a higher granularity of control.

This status system will also introduce a bigger focus on automatic replies to people contacting the user. A new design of notification banner for the top of the display is also thought to be on the way.

The Messages app will be given some alterations to make it more of a direct competitor to Facebook's messaging systems. A new lock screen is also being worked on, though elements of that apparently won't be shown this year.

For iPad users specifically, the home screen will supposedly introduce widget support. While they are normally visible in a column on the far left of the iPadOS home screen, it seems the updated version may support widgets placed throughout the home screen, rather than limited to one area.

Increased multitasking options in iPadOS is also said to be on the way, which will make it easier to manage multiple apps running simultaneously, though no firm details on what these changes could be were offered by the report.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS Monterey and more.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    “Enhanced multitasking” this is beautiful, can’t wait to power up my new m1 iPad Pro. I’ll be watching keenly to see what Apple is cooking up! 
    williamlondonMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Multitasking more like MacOS would be good.  But I still agree the lack of real pro apps on the M1 is the main issue.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    winstoner71winstoner71 Posts: 114member
    Wish they’d make it so you could turn off all notifications with one tap, instead of having to go through the list of apps and turn them off separately. I have a ton of apps and it’s slightly annoying if I want to turn off specific ones, ex. sports apps. Turning them all off for, say, 2 hours, would be so helpful. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Wish they’d make it so you could turn off all notifications with one tap, instead of having to go through the list of apps and turn them off separately. I have a ton of apps and it’s slightly annoying if I want to turn off specific ones, ex. sports apps. Turning them all off for, say, 2 hours, would be so helpful. 
    Isn’t that what Do Not Disturb is for?
    StrangeDaysBeDifferentMplsPfastasleepbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Glad to hear about the improvements to multitasking. I find SlideOver and SplitView to be very awkward, to the point where I just don't use them. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    crowley said:
    Sure, if you consider texts, system alerts, and phone calls "notifications". I'm tired of all the "we use cookies" alerts. I'd like to turn those off. I'm also tired of getting requests to receive notifications from websites. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    macgui said:
    crowley said:
    Sure, if you consider texts, system alerts, and phone calls "notifications". I'm tired of all the "we use cookies" alerts. I'd like to turn those off. I'm also tired of getting requests to receive notifications from websites. 
    You get requests from websites to send you notifications? Like, in Safari? I don’t think I’ve ever had that experience and I would probably be a little freaked out if I did. 

Those “we use cookies” alerts ARE friggin annoying though. 
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Japhey said:
    macgui said:
    crowley said:
    You get requests from websites to send you notifications? Like, in Safari? I don’t think I’ve ever had that experience and I would probably be a little freaked out if I did. 

Those “we use cookies” alerts ARE friggin annoying though. 
    I get them all the time. I assume that's because I do most of my browsing in private windows so there are no cookies saved - even the ones that tell the websites not to save cookies or send me notifications.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member

Looking forward to the release and really hoping Apple steps up iPadOS to make it worthy of the iPads' power. 
    DAalseth said:
    Glad to hear about the improvements to multitasking. I find SlideOver and SplitView to be very awkward, to the point where I just don't use them. 
    sdw2001 said:
    Multitasking more like MacOS would be good.  But I still agree the lack of real pro apps on the M1 is the main issue.  
    Improved multitasking sounds great. I've gotten used to the current system but it's still not perfect and has some annoying glitches.

I think the lack of apps is a catch 22 - the OS has been limited and there haven't been a lot of people using iPads for real 'pro' work so companies have been hesitant to make the investment in the apps.

On that note, any word on improvements to the file system? 
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 10 of 11
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,250member
    MplsP said:

On that note, any word on improvements to the file system? 
    As in APFS? I think Apple isn’t working on that actively. 
    If you refer to the Files app and how files are accessed throughout the iPadOS operating system, I have not read any rumors about this, but I agree is a very weak point they should address in order to attract more “pro users”, next to providing external monitor support beyond mirroring.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I wish they would bring back the iOS 7 app switcher.  I booted up an iPhone 4 with it installed, and I felt it’s app switcher was much easier to use than the current overlapping deck is.  The current is more visually stimulating, but the side by side view feels easier to select and app or close an app by swiping up.  I’ve accidentally closed the wrong apps pretty frequently.  It’s not a huge deal, as I just go and reopen it, but having to do that multiple times a day is frustrating and can be a productivity killer.