What you need to run iOS 15 and iPadOS 15

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
After a long beta test period, iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 have launched. Here's which iPhones and iPads can run the new operating system updates.

iOS compatibility list
iOS compatibility list

Apple seldom removes compatibility for older models due to the longevity of its custom Apple Silicon. For the 2021 operating system releases, these devices are compatible.

In short, if your device ran iOS 14, it will run iOS 15 as well.

iPhone models compatible with iOS 15

• iPhone 13 mini
  • iPhone 13
  • iPhone 13 Pro
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12 mini
  • iPhone 12
  • iPhone 12 Pro
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone SE (2nd generation)
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone SE (1st generation)

iPad models compatible with iPadOS 15

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
  • iPad Air (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 10.5-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad (9th generation)
  • iPad (8th generation)
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad mini (6th generation
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad mini (4th generation)
Updates are installed automatically, when the feature is enabled, or manually via the Settings app. Navigate to Settings, General, Software Update, then tap "Download and Install."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MurvelMurvel Posts: 24member
    Tl;dr: The same iDevices that supported 13 and 14 also support 15.

For macOS, some 2013/2014 Macs got left behind this year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I’m surprised about my iPhone 6s being a candidate for update. Then again, I’m still on iOS 12.x because of losing Safari sync with my Macs stuck at High Sierra, so...

Also: no updates for my device in all this time, yet the typing lag has gotten worse and worse. It’s starting to happen on my Macs too, so WTF is going on under the surface with services??
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ltnizltniz Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    I’m surprised the 1st gen SE is eligible; thought it was the end of the road for that one. 
    pulseimages[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    I am chuffed my 6s is still eligible. I fully expected it, and therefore my series 5 watch which is coupled to it, to be left behind this year unless I upgraded.

I saw some horrifying stats, from a reliable media source, regarding the emissions and water it takes to create each new smartphone so will hang on to it a little longer given that it works as new and won't hold back my watch.

Fair play Apple!
    Japhey[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dysamoria said:
    I’m surprised about my iPhone 6s being a candidate for update. Then again, I’m still on iOS 12.x because of losing Safari sync with my Macs stuck at High Sierra, so...

Also: no updates for my device in all this time, yet the typing lag has gotten worse and worse. It’s starting to happen on my Macs too, so WTF is going on under the surface with services??
    ————————————————
    Try resetting the gizmos by wiping them clean first and re-installing the software afterwards. Also, there’s the dosdude1 patcher for the Mac - may actually allow you to upgrade to Mojave or even Catalina. 

• Reply 6 of 12
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    My heart stopped (well, not really) when the list went from iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) to iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation) .......... No update for my 12.9" 2nd gen?! But then it and even the 1st gen appeared later in the list. Phew.

So what I mean is, perhaps sorting the list a bit better would help readers more easily identify their model.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 7 of 12
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    ednl said:
    My heart stopped (well, not really) when the list went from iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) to iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation) .......... No update for my 12.9" 2nd gen?! But then it and even the 1st gen appeared later in the list. Phew.

So what I mean is, perhaps sorting the list a bit better would help readers more easily identify their model.
    The list is from Apple, and based on hardware/model release date.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    nicholfd said:
    Everything I said is still true.
    watto_cobrakingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 9 of 12
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    ednl said:
    nicholfd said:
    Everything I said is still true.
    I disagree - I would expect chronological order.  And that is what the list is.  Usually sites/Apple list a "cut-off" device/date.  That makes the list more useful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    The first gen SE is basically a 6S so, if the latter made the cut, it follows the SE would as well.

I'm curious as to how those iDevices that barely made the cut will perform with the new iOS. Since the early iOS upgrades users have moaned when their particular device was left off, demanding that it be included because they know it could support the next iOS. I got a 12 mini when it came out so for the first time in a long time, I'm a little ahead of the OS upgrade curve, and have a few more with no worries. I hope.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    TRAG said:
    I am chuffed my 6s is still eligible. I fully expected it, and therefore my series 5 watch which is coupled to it, to be left behind this year unless I upgraded.

I saw some horrifying stats, from a reliable media source, regarding the emissions and water it takes to create each new smartphone so will hang on to it a little longer given that it works as new and won't hold back my watch.

Fair play Apple!

You are probably right - I am just upgrading my iPhone 5S to a 13 this year, which is in theory good from an environmental viewpoint. (I have certainly had good use of the 5S)

However, if everyone was like me there would be no iPhone 13, as the money to develop it (and the models in between) would not exist.

Therefor we might all be using less efficient phones.

Can’t work out which is best? the constant drive to make new technology or hanging onto the old.

I think I will trade in the Mercedes for a donkey - just to see!

• Reply 12 of 12
    TRAG said:

Fair play Apple!

You are probably right - I am just upgrading my iPhone 5S to a 13 this year, which is in theory good from an environmental viewpoint. (I have certainly had good use of the 5S)

However, if everyone was like me there would be no iPhone 13, as the money to develop it (and the models in between) would not exist.

Therefor we might all be using less efficient phones.

Can’t work out which is best? the constant drive to make new technology or hanging onto the old.

I think I will trade in the Mercedes for a donkey - just to see!

😂

Fair points. I feel the same dichotomy.