What you need to run macOS Monterey

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    aieronimo said:
    I’m really pleased that my late-2015, 27” iMac is covered by the Monterey upgrade.  So I get another year out of this computer for which I paid top dollar on a high-spec configuration (i.e., everything maxed out except the user-upgradeable RAM and the SSD).  On the other hand, I’m a bit bummed that Universal Control won’t work with the late-2015 iMac, at least from what I’ve read elsewhere.  Maybe that is writing on the wall for this iMac with respect to whatever operating system will come after Monterey.
    You can continue to use your 2015 iMad, with the current OS it has installed, and Apple still offers two years of security updates after the device does not support the most recent major OS update.

Universal control requires certain Bluetooth/WiFi hardware.  Your system doesn’t have it.  That’s why it doesn’t support that feature.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have an old high-end Mac Pro trash can amongst my Mac collection. I am constantly surprised that a 2013 Mac keeps up with the macOS versions... so far.  I use it as a dedicated Logic Pro music station these days and it fits nicely with the Korg keyboard and an Apple  27" LCD Cinema Display.  All old stuff and almost obsolete, but it works fine for this purpose.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    nicholfd said:
    I wish Apple considered that support of older Macs, when technically possible, would make people more likely to buy a new Mac not less. If I know that the brand new Mac I buy will still be getting new versions of MacOS in 12 years, I am far more likely to plonk down my cash for one. As it stands, there are computers removed from support that are only six years old! I don't remember anyone at Apple saying "Hey, buy this new MacBook and get just six years of use out of it before you have to recycle it.
    Why do you have to recycle it just because it isn't capable of running the latest major OS version?  Apple still provides security updates for two years on previous major versions.  And even after that, assuming it doesn't physically break, it will continue to run/work just like it did before the major OS update!
    if you’re a developer then the price of being a developer includes keeping a new enough machine that runs the latest OS, because Xcode tends to require that. To be fair, if you’re making a living off of it and aren’t a starving coder that gets nowhere in the market then hardware purchases like this are costs of doing business that are treated as depreciating assets over fewer years than MacOS will likely work on one for any given Mac and MacOS version.

Most other use-cases you can tolerate older hardware and OS versions far better.