New Find My feature in iOS 15 will alert you when you leave an item behind

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Apple is introducing a new Find My feature that will make it difficult to accidentally leave behind an Apple device or third-party tracking accessory.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

So-called separation alerts will ping a user if they leave the proximity of a device like an iPhone or AirTag. The feature can also be enabled for third-party devices that support the Find My network.

"Enable separation alerts, and if you leave a device, AirTag, or compatible third-party item behind, your iPhone will alert you with notifications and Find My will give you directions to your item," Apple says.

Separation alerts are enabled on a per-device basis. Users can head into the menu of a specific item and hit a toggle to "Notify When Left Behind."

Users will get an alert when they are out of range of the specific device. However, they'll also be able to set location-based exceptions, such as if a device is at home.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS Monterey and more.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    h4y3sh4y3s Posts: 83member
    This is a great feature that I have wanted for a while. Can’t wait to try it out. 
    StrangeDaysselleringtonITGUYINSDwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I definitely could have used this many times over the years.
    selleringtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    This is a welcome addition that feels long overdue.
    selleringtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I keep forgetting my phone though 😀 guess there’s no practical solution for that 🤨 
  • Reply 5 of 10
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    I keep forgetting my phone though 😀 guess there’s no practical solution for that 🤨 
    Surprised the watch could not tell you that you’ve left your phone behind you’re going to have that on your wrist all the time.
    skippingrocksellerington
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Definitely a BFD. For me, this feature changes the AirTag purchase decision from a “Meh” to a “Must Have.” In fact, this is my primary use case for AirTag. My (pessimistic) assumption is that any AirTag that’s visible on a item of value will end up in a trash can or on the side of the road once it is discovered. 

With this feature available every single parent should place an AirTag on every baby car seat they use. This could be a lifesaver.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This will be helpful

As I rely increasingly on my Apple Watch, my iPhone becomes increasingly less time critical --- which results in me tending to leave it behind more and more often.

Good move Apple!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    So it says it works with "devices", does that mean if I'm at a restaurant and leave my iPhone on the table, my Apple Watch will alert me that my iPhone is away (no AirTags involved)?

I purchased Phone Buddy app that does just this, but the current version is broken since latest updates and does not follow exclusion of being on home WiFi so the thing is alerting all the time when I walk away from my iPhone at home.

BUT, this is exactly what I wanted from AirTags so I can put one in my backpack so I don't leave it behind at a client office (which I have admittedly done!).
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    That woulda saved the Airpods that disappeared at my office one night :\
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    This worked last week but since I have the iPhone 13 pro it doesn’t work. Is there a setting I need to tweak?