AirPods Pro beta firmware coming soon for developer testing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
In addition to beta testing pre-release operating systems, developers will soon be able to test AirPods Pro firmware to implement new features in their apps.

Apple to let developers test AirPods Pro pre-release firmware
Apple to let developers test AirPods Pro pre-release firmware

The Apple Developer Program lets developers test upcoming operating system releases in order to ensure their apps support it. With developer-focused features like Conversation Boost coming to AirPods in the fall, Apple is giving developers the option to test the feature.

A block of text first spotted by MacRumors at the bottom of the developer downloads page indicates AirPods Pro firmware testing would be coming "at a future date." It is unclear of how developers will enroll their AirPods in the program when there isn't a direct method to install firmware updates to the device.
Pre-release AirPods Pro firmware for Apple Developer Program members will be available at a future date. This will allow development of features on iOS and macOS for AirPods as well as enable new features, including Conversation Boost (beam forming) and Ambient Noise Reduction (noise suppressor).
It is likely that Apple will give developers a profile to install on a device just like with other betas. Once a firmware update is available it will likely install on its own just like with standard firmware updates.

Both AppleInsider and Apple strongly suggest users avoid installing betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the potential for data loss or other issues. Instead, the recommendation is to install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data before making any major changes.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This addition of Conversation Boost could bust the corrupt, greedy hearing aid industry wide open.  Between the prescription and the hardware people may have to spend thousands -- and that person is often a senior or who can afford it the least.

An analogy is vision:   For me to get a pair of glasses costs upwards of $500 -- First I need to see a licensed professional to get a prescription (the last two of which have been bad) then invest $400-$500 in frames and lenses needed for high powered correction (hoping the prescription is correct).

Instead I bought an FDA approved device that, using my iPhone, tests my vision and outputs a prescription.   Then i followed their advice for an online lens/frame maker and ordered a pair for $99.   The glasses are better than any I could have gotten from the American optical industry and I can repeat the process whenever I need new glasses.

Americans spend $17 Trillion a year on a greedy and corrupt healthcare industry.  These are the things that will help fix that.
    rcfabeowulfschmidtdewmeBeats
  • Reply 2 of 3
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member

Instead I bought an FDA approved device that, using my iPhone, tests my vision and outputs a prescription.   Then i followed their advice for an online lens/frame maker and ordered a pair for $99.   The glasses are better than any I could have gotten from the American optical industry and I can repeat the process whenever I need new glasses.
    Any pointers/links to the service/device in question?
    mobird
  • Reply 3 of 3
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It's called the EyeQue VisionCheck.  It was developed, if I remember, by MIT and debuted at the 2019 CES.

I have a strong correction and astigmatism but don't need bifocals (even though the optical people all want me to wear them!).
    I've always had trouble getting a good vision test because I will unconsciously squint and bring it into focus when it shouldn't be.  But with this, I could take as many tries at it as i needed to feel comfortable (it was about a dozen or so then I ruled out the obviously bad ones and averaged the rest)  and then double checked it against my existing prescription,   They then recommended a place to order the frames and lenses  from (I forget the name).  I sent them the prescription from the Vision Check and $99 and I've been wearing the glasses for a couple years now.

Also, they have a gadget for measuring the distance between your pupils if you don't already have it.  The people making the lenses need to know that.

For me the key was being able to get a good eye exam.   The last one I got from an optomologist was off by 2 dipopters and I didn't want to gamble $500 on a set of lenses to find out it was a bad prescription.  

Like the saying goes:  "If you want something done right, do it yourself".
    beowulfschmidt