iPadOS 15 confirms Apple's M1-equipped iPad Pro is a V8 engine powering a Ford Pinto

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Ofer said:
    rcfa said:
    I own an iPad since the first model that Apple brought to market. I justified the purchasing prices for my by now three iPads (original, Air, Pro), by comparing it with the cost, weight, bulk and hassle of producing, maintaining and carrying paper photo albums vs. carrying an iPad.

Everything else, like watching Netflix in bed, jotting down a note, or quickly checking an e-mail, are fringe benefits. Despite the latest iPad of mine being a 12” A12X based iPad Pro with 1TB of storage, it NEVER was more for me than a photo album and media consumption device, and certainly NOTHING that deserved the name Pro, not even for something as trivial as e-mail does it deserve that name, for what sort of “Pro” solution is an e-mail system that doesn’t allow the user to inspect a messages RAW content to see if something is real or an elaborate phishing e-mail? At best, it might qualify as a semi-pro accessory to a Mac, if one uses it as a Wacom Tablet replacement with Sidecar or some third party software like AirDisplay.

When the MagicKeyboard hit the market, it endeavored into an expensive experiment: would a MagicKeyboard change how I worked with the iPad Pro? Would a cigarette box sized Raspberry Pi 8GB RAM Linux system attached, networked and powered over the USB-C connection and operated over RDP, make up for some of the shortcomings of iPad OS (e.g. by running a real e-mail client like Thunderbird on the Raspberry, by having Mathematica on the Raspberry, by having development and network testing tools on the linux system, etc.)?

The answer was a resounding YES in both cases, but more importantly, it showed me that the iPad Pro with MagicKeyboard was the HARDWARE I always wished a MacBook Air would be: Much better screen, touch screen, pen input, etc. At the same time, the more I worked with the MagicKeyboard, the more painful the shortcomings of iPadOS became.

Yes, I get the difference between a mouse/trackpad&keyboard driven UI and a touch UI. I get that macOS is the former and iPadOS is the latter…
    …BUT, branding aside, macOS and iPadOS are fundamentally the same OS (Darwin), with different UI layers. With the new iPad Pros (A12X and up with 6GB RAM or more) there is no hardware issue with running macOS. And just as macOS apps can have a windowed mode and a full screen mode, there’s nothing that stops the same app from in addition having a touch UI mode. So one could have an adaptive OS, which adjusts the UI based on whether docked with pointing device and keyboard, or used standalone in touch UI mode.

With the M1 version, and its up to 2TB of SSD and 16GB RAM, there could be even another solution: virtualization. Run macOS virtualized in an iPadOS app, and switch to it when docked, and suspend it when undocked. 

Even working on a slow-poke system like a Raspberry Pi “remotely” over USB-C and RDP makes the iPad Pro feel like a seamless laptop, that lets me miss nothing (except for macOS rather than Linux), so how much better would a virtualized macOS be, that would run at nearly native speed, and would gain tablet input, and instant switching between iPadOS and macOS? How cool would it be to run Xcode on the virtualized macOS system, and then test the app directly on the iPad?

It would be awesome, beyond words. And what would Apple have to do to make this possible? Nothing. Less than nothing. All they would need to do is to stop actively sabotaging virtualization apps on iPadOS, and a third party solution would spring up in short order.

Now, why is Apple getting in its own way?

The answer is easy: they don’t have “software and hardware divisions”, which if they did, they wouldn’t care which of their operating systems you ran on which of their hardware devices, but they have “Mac, iDevice, aTV, etc. divisions”, and so the Mac division has no interest in driving iDevice sales by spending man hours making their software available on the competing division’s hardware, while digging their own hardware’s grave. The video of how the iPad division went to steal the M1 chip from the Mac division, was in a strange way revealing of why we have the problems as Pro users with the iPad Pro and its media consumption platform operating system.
    The pessimist in me would offer another reason for why Apple won’t offer full MacOS capabilities on an iPad: $$. As long as they offer them as two different platforms with different capabilities they can continue to get people out there to purchase both. If they offered an iPad as a dockable system with full macOS capabilities it would cannibalise MacBook sales. Why purchase both if you can get an all-in-one experience. 
    Or, combining the two would create a single device that’s not as good as either machine separately. 

You obviously don't have much confidence in Apple.

Microsoft did it pretty well.   I think Apple can do even better.   
    No means no, you know.

Because you said so?

You should be sure to call Tim and let him know what your decision was.
    Because Apple said so. Leadership at Apple that is not dead. 

Really?
    is that why they added an external keyboard and trackpad to the iPad -- making it a 2 in 1?
    Maybe you should call TIm and let him those his people did that.

He'll probably want them to upgrade the software to match the hardware they're selling because right now, it's a 2 in 1 but its not very good at it.
    It's certainly not up to Apple standards.

9secondkox2
  • Reply 102 of 128
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Ofer said:
    rcfa said:
    I own an iPad since the first model that Apple brought to market. I justified the purchasing prices for my by now three iPads (original, Air, Pro), by comparing it with the cost, weight, bulk and hassle of producing, maintaining and carrying paper photo albums vs. carrying an iPad.

Everything else, like watching Netflix in bed, jotting down a note, or quickly checking an e-mail, are fringe benefits. Despite the latest iPad of mine being a 12” A12X based iPad Pro with 1TB of storage, it NEVER was more for me than a photo album and media consumption device, and certainly NOTHING that deserved the name Pro, not even for something as trivial as e-mail does it deserve that name, for what sort of “Pro” solution is an e-mail system that doesn’t allow the user to inspect a messages RAW content to see if something is real or an elaborate phishing e-mail? At best, it might qualify as a semi-pro accessory to a Mac, if one uses it as a Wacom Tablet replacement with Sidecar or some third party software like AirDisplay.

When the MagicKeyboard hit the market, it endeavored into an expensive experiment: would a MagicKeyboard change how I worked with the iPad Pro? Would a cigarette box sized Raspberry Pi 8GB RAM Linux system attached, networked and powered over the USB-C connection and operated over RDP, make up for some of the shortcomings of iPad OS (e.g. by running a real e-mail client like Thunderbird on the Raspberry, by having Mathematica on the Raspberry, by having development and network testing tools on the linux system, etc.)?

The answer was a resounding YES in both cases, but more importantly, it showed me that the iPad Pro with MagicKeyboard was the HARDWARE I always wished a MacBook Air would be: Much better screen, touch screen, pen input, etc. At the same time, the more I worked with the MagicKeyboard, the more painful the shortcomings of iPadOS became.

Yes, I get the difference between a mouse/trackpad&keyboard driven UI and a touch UI. I get that macOS is the former and iPadOS is the latter…
    …BUT, branding aside, macOS and iPadOS are fundamentally the same OS (Darwin), with different UI layers. With the new iPad Pros (A12X and up with 6GB RAM or more) there is no hardware issue with running macOS. And just as macOS apps can have a windowed mode and a full screen mode, there’s nothing that stops the same app from in addition having a touch UI mode. So one could have an adaptive OS, which adjusts the UI based on whether docked with pointing device and keyboard, or used standalone in touch UI mode.

With the M1 version, and its up to 2TB of SSD and 16GB RAM, there could be even another solution: virtualization. Run macOS virtualized in an iPadOS app, and switch to it when docked, and suspend it when undocked. 

Even working on a slow-poke system like a Raspberry Pi “remotely” over USB-C and RDP makes the iPad Pro feel like a seamless laptop, that lets me miss nothing (except for macOS rather than Linux), so how much better would a virtualized macOS be, that would run at nearly native speed, and would gain tablet input, and instant switching between iPadOS and macOS? How cool would it be to run Xcode on the virtualized macOS system, and then test the app directly on the iPad?

It would be awesome, beyond words. And what would Apple have to do to make this possible? Nothing. Less than nothing. All they would need to do is to stop actively sabotaging virtualization apps on iPadOS, and a third party solution would spring up in short order.

The answer is easy: they don’t have “software and hardware divisions”, which if they did, they wouldn’t care which of their operating systems you ran on which of their hardware devices, but they have “Mac, iDevice, aTV, etc. divisions”, and so the Mac division has no interest in driving iDevice sales by spending man hours making their software available on the competing division’s hardware, while digging their own hardware’s grave. The video of how the iPad division went to steal the M1 chip from the Mac division, was in a strange way revealing of why we have the problems as Pro users with the iPad Pro and its media consumption platform operating system.
    The pessimist in me would offer another reason for why Apple won’t offer full MacOS capabilities on an iPad: $$. As long as they offer them as two different platforms with different capabilities they can continue to get people out there to purchase both. If they offered an iPad as a dockable system with full macOS capabilities it would cannibalise MacBook sales. Why purchase both if you can get an all-in-one experience. 
    Or, combining the two would create a single device that’s not as good as either machine separately. 

No means no, you know.

Because you said so?

Really?
    is that why they added an external keyboard and trackpad to the iPad -- making it a 2 in 1?

He'll probably want them to upgrade the software to match the hardware they're selling because right now, it's a 2 in 1 but its not very good at it.

There’s a difference between adding a keyboard as a convenient enhancement to a tablet and creating a “2-in-1” device. I have a very high level of confidence that Tim Cook knows that, too. You’re the only one claiming that a keyboard add-on somehow changes what the iPad is and in doing so somehow it makes it a substandard device. 

You can take phone calls on a Mac Pro, but that doesn’t suddenly make it a giant, inadequately portable $6,000 iPhone. 

You can cut little sticks with the saw blade on your Swiss Army knife, but carrying one of those around doesn’t make you a lumberjack.

As you’re the one disagreeing with Mr. Cook’s decisions - as clearly and repeatedly stated by Apple leadership - that the devices aren’t merging, it would be incumbent on you to call Mr. Cook to tell him what you think.. I have no need or desire to bother him with your silliness. 
    edited June 2021 williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 128
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Ofer said:
    rcfa said:

No means no, you know.

Because you said so?

Really?

There’s a difference between adding a keyboard as a convenient enhancement to a tablet and creating a “2-in-1” device. I have a very high level of confidence that Tim Cook knows that, too. You’re the only one claiming that a keyboard add-on somehow changes what the iPad is and in doing so somehow it makes it a substandard device. 

You can take phone calls on a Mac Pro, but that doesn’t suddenly make it a giant, inadequately portable $6,000 iPhone. 

You can cut little sticks with the saw blade on your Swiss Army knife, but carrying one of those around doesn’t make you a lumberjack.

As you’re the one disagreeing with Mr. Cook’s decisions - as clearly and repeatedly stated by Apple leadership - that the devices aren’t merging, it would be incumbent on you to call Mr. Cook to tell him what you think.. I have no need or desire to bother him with your silliness. 

Sorry, when you switch it from tablet mode to laptop mode it is a 2 in 1.    Just because its a shitty 2 in 1 doesn't make it not a 2 in 1.

As I said, this is well below Apple's typical standards.    

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 104 of 128
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Ofer said:
    rcfa said:

No means no, you know.

Because you said so?

Really?

Sorry, when you switch it from tablet mode to laptop mode it is a 2 in 1.    Just because its a shitty 2 in 1 doesn't make it not a 2 in 1.

This is an article posted about a week before WWDC started.  Not a bad article.  Now the author was wrong about what features he thought would come to iPadOS 15.  And it very well could be that his timing doesn't correspond with Apple's timing.  But I definitely agree with his idea on where iPad / iPadOS should be headed;

"For the first time, CPU-wise, the iPad is the Mac, and the Mac is the iPad, iPadOS being the distinctive soul. When Apple announced a fork of iPadOS from iOS, many pundits said it was a marketing move. The next major iteration of iPadOS will prove them wrong. When iPadOS 15 is revealed to the world in about a week, we will finally have a better picture of why Apple won’t do a Surface-like device running macOS. Once and for all, we will know why a touch screen will never come to the Mac. Apple will push iPadOS far enough to finally enable the iPad Pro as a real Mac replacement. I expect Apple to address long-standing issues with file management, multitasking, and background task processing while adding missing APIs for better audio support, for example. Apple is giving itself the necessary bits to fully market the iPad as a real Mac replacement."

https://numericcitizen.me/2021/05/30/thinking-about-ipads-next-pivotal-moment/
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 105 of 128
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,718member
    Lol

this cracks me up. 
    Bought my first car in 1995. A used mustang 2 with 302 v8. 

It WAS basically a pinto with a v8. 

So the headline hits home. 

It’s kinda true too. And I’m fine with cranking up the iPad   But they need to make the Mac even way beyond that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 128
    mfryd said:
    Apple already has an OS that solves these features and runs on the new iPad Pro - it's called Big Sur.   Big Sur already runs on the M1 processors, and supports multiple monitors, multitasking, and even runs iPad and iPhone apps.

It's policy that prevents OSX from running on the new iPad Pro.  Apple wants to keep the iPad locked down and secure.  
      That might be true, but on the other hand: if Apple would make the iPad Pro instantly dual boot, like starting (or opting to start) macOS the moment you connect an external monitor or a mouse, it’d be instantly THE most popular tablet/laptop outselling anything from any brand or vendor. 
      Because then you’d buy two computers in one. 

Also ‘normal’ people would become interested in the iPad Pro, because it’d be reasonably priced instantly!

For the real pros Apple will still keep on selling MacBook Pros and Mac Pros….
      williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
    • Reply 107 of 128
      mfryd said:
      Apple already has an OS that solves these features and runs on the new iPad Pro - it's called Big Sur.   Big Sur already runs on the M1 processors, and supports multiple monitors, multitasking, and even runs iPad and iPhone apps.

It's policy that prevents OSX from running on the new iPad Pro.  Apple wants to keep the iPad locked down and secure.  
        That might be true, but on the other hand: if Apple would make the iPad Pro instantly dual boot, like starting (or opting to start) macOS the moment you connect an external monitor or a mouse, it’d be instantly THE most popular tablet/laptop outselling anything from any brand or vendor. 

Also ‘normal’ people would become interested in the iPad Pro, because it’d be reasonably priced instantly!

I think you meant to post this on a Windows forum somewhere. 
        williamlondonwatto_cobra
      • Reply 108 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

No, he's just not an apologist for Apple.   He's fan.   A real one who understands Apple can do better.

Steve understood that Apple didn't always do the right thing and could always do better -- and worked really hard to do just that.

Fan Boys on the other hand have a religious belief that whatever Apple does or doesn't do is perfect.
        muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
      • Reply 109 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        Ofer said:
        rcfa said:

No means no, you know.

Because you said so?

Really?

This is an article posted about a week before WWDC started.  Not a bad article.  Now the author was wrong about what features he thought would come to iPadOS 15.  And it very well could be that his timing doesn't correspond with Apple's timing.  But I definitely agree with his idea on where iPad / iPadOS should be headed;

"For the first time, CPU-wise, the iPad is the Mac, and the Mac is the iPad, iPadOS being the distinctive soul. When Apple announced a fork of iPadOS from iOS, many pundits said it was a marketing move. The next major iteration of iPadOS will prove them wrong. When iPadOS 15 is revealed to the world in about a week, we will finally have a better picture of why Apple won’t do a Surface-like device running macOS. Once and for all, we will know why a touch screen will never come to the Mac. Apple will push iPadOS far enough to finally enable the iPad Pro as a real Mac replacement. I expect Apple to address long-standing issues with file management, multitasking, and background task processing while adding missing APIs for better audio support, for example. Apple is giving itself the necessary bits to fully market the iPad as a real Mac replacement."

https://numericcitizen.me/2021/05/30/thinking-about-ipads-next-pivotal-moment/

No, even after the iPad becomes a viable 2 in 1 it won't replace the MacBook.
        Instead it'll push the MacBook to get better.

Since the introduction of the MacBook Air, Apple has taken a reductionistic approach to MacBooks:   Thin & Light with minimal frills.   Essentially they've been emulating tablets but with a mouse, keyboard and laptop OS.   That wasn't bad -- it filled a needed role.   If/when iPads can function equally well in either laptop or tablet mode, MacBooks will be pushed to add functionality:   Multiple SSDs, more ports, bigger screens, better cooling systems, better keyboards, etc...   They will be freed up to do those things that iPads are not equipped to do because of the restrictions their form factor imposes on them.  
        muthuk_vanalingam
      • Reply 110 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

No, he's just not an apologist for Apple.   He's fan.   A real one who understands Apple can do better.

Steve understood that Apple didn't always do the right thing and could always do better -- and worked really hard to do just that.

Fan Boys on the other hand have a religious belief that whatever Apple does or doesn't do is perfect.
        Yawn. 
        williamlondonwatto_cobra
      • Reply 111 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

Fan Boys hate reality.  It upsets their delusional little universe.

Sorry, Sparky, but reality does not support your ongoing fantasy.

Apple's Greg "Joz" Joswiak, Marketing Director, April 22, 2021, in The Independent:

“There’s two conflicting stories people like to tell about the iPad and Mac,” says Joz, as he starts on a clarification that will lead him at one point to apologise for his passion. “On the one hand, people say that they are in conflict with each other. That somebody has to decide whether they want a Mac, or they want an iPad.

“Or people say that we’re merging them into one: that there’s really this grand conspiracy we have, to eliminate the two categories and make them one.

“And the reality is neither is true. We’re quite proud of the fact that we work really, really hard to create the best products in their respective category.

(Joz, however, is reluctant to name the category he’s talking about: he jokes that he “can’t even stand using” the word, because the “iPad is better than tablets”. “I hate to diminish it by calling it the category name,” he says.)

“Customers agree with us, right?” he says. “We have the highest customer satisfaction, again for each of those products in their category.

“And they’re voting with their pocketbook, right? Both these categories have grown, but iPad and Mac have greatly outgrown their category. And so that’s what our strategy is: create the best product of both.”

You can keep repeating yourself, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.... and ignore citations of Apple's very consistent statements that they are not going to do the thing you want them to do, but you are not representing reality. You are welcome to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

edited June 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
      • Reply 112 of 128
        razmatazrazmataz Posts: 24member

I'm seeing this as Apple wanting to keep the market segmented so they can keep on selling you three devices: an iPhone, an iPad, and a Mac. It is a triple bonanza. If not already, very soon the iPhone or the iPad will be powerful enough for the Mac/PC compute needs of most users, quite capable of running both at the the same time if the need be. The CPU is there, the solid state storage is there, the RAM density is maybe lacking for the more powerful use cases. What some seem to be suggesting is making the Mac a very niche product by giving most of its capabilities to the iPad. Without some serious external pressure from competitors, I don't see the incentive to do that, not any time soon. Oddly enough I think it is the iPhone and IPad that are much harder to merge due to the screen size difference. That would require a thin device whose screen can be made bigger if the need be (unfolded, etc.). But again, that goes against the interest of profit, breaks the simplicity of keeping things the same way they are now while needlessly introducing risk. Yes, the latest devices allow for new capabilities not possible recently. Just have something at the ready and very stable in case competition comes knocking. Even then, because of the ecosystem, they would have a few years to react to it.  

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
      • Reply 113 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

Apple's Greg "Joz" Joswiak, Marketing Director, April 22, 2021, in The Independent:

“There’s two conflicting stories people like to tell about the iPad and Mac,” says Joz, as he starts on a clarification that will lead him at one point to apologise for his passion. “On the one hand, people say that they are in conflict with each other. That somebody has to decide whether they want a Mac, or they want an iPad.

“Or people say that we’re merging them into one: that there’s really this grand conspiracy we have, to eliminate the two categories and make them one.

“And the reality is neither is true. We’re quite proud of the fact that we work really, really hard to create the best products in their respective category.

(Joz, however, is reluctant to name the category he’s talking about: he jokes that he “can’t even stand using” the word, because the “iPad is better than tablets”. “I hate to diminish it by calling it the category name,” he says.)

“Customers agree with us, right?” he says. “We have the highest customer satisfaction, again for each of those products in their category.

“And they’re voting with their pocketbook, right? Both these categories have grown, but iPad and Mac have greatly outgrown their category. And so that’s what our strategy is: create the best product of both.”

You can keep repeating yourself, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.... and ignore citations of Apple's very consistent statements that they are not going to do the thing you want them to do, but you are not representing reality. You are welcome to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

The truth is:   Apple does not have the best product in its category - they have, perhaps, the worst.

That is:  By adding a keyboard and mouse to the iPad without commensurate upgrades to its OS, Apple created the worst in its category (2 in 1's) rather than the best.

I have confidence though that the iPad team will get off of their duff and fix this error.  They've been plugging away at it slowly and surely but they still have a long way to go.

I take it you have little or no confidence in Apple?   You think they have stagnated?  I disagree.  They will, at some point, fix this problem.   It's very un-Apple like to put out crappy products.

As I said before, this illustrates what is needed.  An intolerance of mediocrity:

edited June 2021
      • Reply 114 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

The truth is:   Apple does not have the best product in its category - they have, perhaps, the worst.

That is:  By adding a keyboard and mouse to the iPad without commensurate upgrades to its OS, Apple created the worst in its category (2 in 1's) rather than the best.

I have confidence though that the iPad team will get off of their duff and fix this error.  They've been plugging away at it slowly and surely but they still have a long way to go.

I take it you have little or no confidence in Apple?   You think they have stagnated?  I disagree.  They will, at some point, fix this problem.   It's very un-Apple like to put out crappy products.

As I said before, this illustrates what is needed.  An intolerance of mediocrity:

You are just repeating your opinions again, which isn’t surprising. You don’t have to like the iPad, but as mentioned in the Apple exec’s quote I posted (and you ignored) above, there are a lot of people who don’t agree with you, and they’re voting with their wallets. They’re buying iPads and reflecting extremely high customer satisfaction with their purchases, not lamenting that they didn’t get an Apple copy of the much lower selling MS Surface. 

Those are the facts, not my opinions. MacBooks and iPads sell very, very well, and their owners reflect high customer satisfaction with their devices. Apple leadership states unequivocally they aren’t going to do what you want them to do. It’s not their vision for the company. Those are the facts. 

Also, as noted when you posted it before, your video clip promotes the opposite of what you’re repeating ad nauseum. The Jobs character rails against producing “me too” products and fires an engineer for failing to see Apple’s vision. In that scenario, you’re hilariously represented by the engineer who gets fired. 

P.S. This may be helpful for you to know. You wrote this above: "I take it you have little or no confidence in Apple?   You think they have stagnated? I disagree." This is a textbook "Straw Man" argument. You set up and attribute to me an argument that I didn't make, and then triumphantly knock it down. I offer to you this example because you earlier claimed I was knocking down lots of straw men, but then declined an invitation to elaborate on that to show just where it was occurring. I thought this might be helpful to you, if, perhaps, you weren't actually clear on that term, "straw man argument." There is a term in psychology called "projection" that you might also look up.
      • Reply 115 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

You are just repeating your opinions again, which isn’t surprising. You don’t have to like the iPad, but as mentioned in the Apple exec’s quote I posted (and you ignored) above, there are a lot of people who don’t agree with you, and they’re voting with their wallets. They’re buying iPads and reflecting extremely high customer satisfaction with their purchases, not lamenting that they didn’t get an Apple copy of the much lower selling MS Surface. 

Those are the facts, not my opinions. MacBooks and iPads sell very, very well, and their owners reflect high customer satisfaction with their devices. Apple leadership states unequivocally they aren’t going to do what you want them to do. It’s not their vision for the company. Those are the facts. 

Also, as noted when you posted it before, your video clip promotes the opposite of what you’re repeating ad nauseum. The Jobs character rails against producing “me too” products and fires an engineer for failing to see Apple’s vision. In that scenario, you’re hilariously represented by the engineer who gets fired. 

P.S. This may be helpful for you to know. You wrote this above: "I take it you have little or no confidence in Apple?   You think they have stagnated? I disagree." This is a textbook "Straw Man" argument. You set up and attribute to me an argument that I didn't make, and then triumphantly knock it down. I offer to you this example because you earlier claimed I was knocking down lots of straw men, but then declined an invitation to elaborate on that to show just where it was occurring. I thought this might be helpful to you, if, perhaps, you weren't actually clear on that term, "straw man argument." There is a term in psychology called "projection" that you might also look up.
        I think you are mixing up "Entry level iPads" with iPad Pros, when it comes to people voting with wallets. My understanding is that the entry-level iPads sales are much higher percentage of the overall iPad sales and iPad pros are a very small part of this. I am making this point based on ASP of iPads (guestimates again because Apple doesn't reveal this information) posted by someone in this forum in the past. I don't have the exact data points, so you can call it as speculation on my part. But do you have any links which has the data related to iPad Pro sales in the last few years, compared to the Entry-level and iPad Air models? Or even a link with details of ASP of iPads will do (higher the ASP, higher the share of iPad Pros, lower the ASP, lower the share of iPad Pros).

And I agree with you that we are debating "opinions", not hard facts.
        williamlondongatorguy
      • Reply 116 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

Are seriously trying to say that the iPad with its external keyboard and trackpad -- but its poorly developed OS for that mode is a good 2 in 1?   Seriously?
      • Reply 117 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

I think you are mixing up "Entry level iPads" with iPad Pros, when it comes to people voting with wallets. My understanding is that the entry-level iPads sales are much higher percentage of the overall iPad sales and iPad pros are a very small part of this. I am making this point based on ASP of iPads (guestimates again because Apple doesn't reveal this information) posted by someone in this forum in the past. I don't have the exact data points, so you can call it as speculation on my part. But do you have any links which has the data related to iPad Pro sales in the last few years, compared to the Entry-level and iPad Air models? Or even a link with details of ASP of iPads will do (higher the ASP, higher the share of iPad Pros, lower the ASP, lower the share of iPad Pros).

That's true.
        But the principle applies even there on the Education focused, entry level iPads.

I went to my Apple Store and bought one for my grandson along with its 3rd party keyboard they were selling with it thinking he could use it for school work.   But, since it's the same OS that has not been sufficiently upgraded for that type of work it was a very shitty experience.   It's alright in an emergency, but not pleasant to work on.  In the end I bought him a MacBook Air and the combination of the two was an expensive, but good solution.

But, had Apple done a better job developing its OS for keyboard and mouse the iPad would have worked well as a very portable 2 in 1.

But, as for opinion vs hard fact:  It's been pretty well accepted throughout the industry that iPadOS is not up to laptop quality work -- despite the fact Apple is selling keyboards and trackpads for it.  That isn't opinion.  It's pretty well determined.   Only the most vehement fan boys dispute that -- and even then they tend to make excuses for it.

edited June 2021
      • Reply 118 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

That's true.
        But the principle applies even there on the Education focused, entry level iPads.

I went to my Apple Store and bought one for my grandson along with its 3rd party keyboard they were selling with it thinking he could use it for school work.   But, since it's the same OS that has not been sufficiently upgraded for that type of work it was a very shitty experience.   It's alright in an emergency, but not pleasant to work on.  In the end I bought him a MacBook Air and the combination of the two was an expensive, but good solution.

But, had Apple done a better job developing its OS for keyboard and mouse the iPad would have worked well as a very portable 2 in 1.

But, as for opinion vs hard fact:  It's been pretty well accepted throughout the industry that iPadOS is not up to laptop quality work -- despite the fact Apple is selling keyboards and trackpads for it.  That isn't opinion.  It's pretty well determined.   Only the most vehement fan boys dispute that -- and even then they tend to make excuses for it.

Entry level iPads - Not sure if the hardware (A12, measly 3 GB RAM) is adequate for running MacOS. It will take few years to reach there eventually. But I agree with you that Apple should have developed iPad OS as much more capable since the current version of the iPad OS is not stretching the capabilities of even the entry level iPads.
        williamlondon
      • Reply 119 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

Are seriously trying to say that the iPad with its external keyboard and trackpad -- but its poorly developed OS for that mode is a good 2 in 1?   Seriously?
        You're still poking at scarecrows.

No, I'm not saying that. The iPad and iPad Pro are tablets. Adding a keyboard no more makes that a 2-in-1 than does adding spatial audio via AirPods Pro make it a home theater. It's a tablet, and the extras make for a convenient way to extend its capabilities. 
        williamlondonwatto_cobra
      • Reply 120 of 128
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        AppleZulu said:
        mfryd said:

Yawn. 

That's true.

Since Apple isn't claiming it's a laptop, what you're saying is opinion. It's only "pretty well determined" by you. It seems like you're just intensely embarrassed that you bought your grandson the wrong tool.