2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Xed said:
    larryjw said:
    exsangus said:
    Xed said:
    Any chance this could be a signal that they’re continuing work on BootCamp and that it MIGHT be enabled on M1 Macs somehow? :|  I don’t know; I’m just reaching on this one. Perhaps they (Apple) found a way to run a HAL or something on top of M1/M2 hardware where (Intel) Windows can run on top of? *shrug* Just wishful thinking here lol
    While Apple could choose not to offer Bootcamp for M1 Macs, I don't see that as something they'd shy away from as the cost of development is likely minuscule compared to the overall benefit. The core issue is Microsoft not offering a license for Windows ARM. MS will offer this when PC makers are wanting to push more ARM-based PCs to the market to better compete with Apple on performance per watt. There's too much at stake for MS not to make this happen for their vendors.
    Agree 100%. It may take a few years, but I would be shocked if we never saw Windows on ARM.
    Microsoft is waiting for Apple to build a functional ARM PC so they have a platform to run Windows on. 
    M1 Macs aren't just functional, but are destroying x86_64-based PCs everywhere.

Windows on ARM already exists and has for many years. MS Surface devices hat mostly run ARM  have a decent mindshare despite their low-volume sales.

LOL... No, the world doesn't care how fast the M1 is.   They just want to know if they can do what they have to do -- and 90% can do that quite well even with a lowly I3.

Functionality rules and functionality derives from software, not hardware.

And, yes ARM based Windows does exist -- but in a limited, not fully developed form.   That will change.

Apple didn't change computing with the M1.   But what they did do was open a door for Macs to enter the walled garden.
    darkvadermuthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Later, his Mom liked his MacBook so much she wanted to get one for herself.  But, when I told her they could no longer run Windows she said "Nope!  I want to be able to run WIndows".
    While Bootcamp may be going away, you can still run Windows on an Intel MacOS machine using Parallels, or VMWare Fusion. And now, VMWare makes a version of Fusion called Fusion Player, which is free for personal use.  I’m currently using it on my 2016 MacBook Pro running Big Sur, and have a virtual Windows 10 machine, a virtual Linux machine, and a virtual GNS3 appliance for network emulations. It works great. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Without left and right buttons I find trackpads to be a pain in the butt.
    It doesn’t take long to adapt to a one finger tap as a left click, and a two finger tap as a right click. 
    darkvaderelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    rbnetengr said:
    Later, his Mom liked his MacBook so much she wanted to get one for herself.  But, when I told her they could no longer run Windows she said "Nope!  I want to be able to run WIndows".
    While Bootcamp may be going away, you can still run Windows on an Intel MacOS machine using Parallels, or VMWare Fusion. And now, VMWare makes a version of Fusion called Fusion Player, which is free for personal use.  I’m currently using it on my 2016 MacBook Pro running Big Sur, and have a virtual Windows 10 machine, a virtual Linux machine, and a virtual GNS3 appliance for network emulations. It works great. 
    I haven't seen any indication that BootCamp is going away -- and this enhancement suggests that it won't.
    The trouble is:   no retail version of Windows will run on the ARM based M1 processor.  
    I'm hoping, for everybody's sake, that that changes.   I think eventually Microsoft will make that enhancement.  But until then, as you point out, we are limited to Intel based Macs if we want to or need to run Windows.

• Reply 25 of 35
    rbnetengr said:
    It doesn’t take long to adapt to a one finger tap as a left click, and a two finger tap as a right click. 
    I agree.
    Where I miss the buttons is in scrolling and/or selecting text -- especially a large section of text.   On my grandson's MacBook Air, it usually takes me a couple tries to get it right -- he has no trouble with it though.

• Reply 26 of 35
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:
    IF Apple and Microsoft are working to bring Windows to the M1 -- that opens the door to it running on iPads under a BootCamp scenario

That would finally give the iPad the power it needs to be fully functional both in tablet mode and in laptop mode.

The iPad team has been dragging their feet on it long enough.   Maybe, if nothing else, the thought of Windows running on the iPad might get them moving.
    Seriously. That horse is dead. It is not going to move no matter how many times you hit it with that stick.
    He still has a lot of information wrong, but at least he's no longer blaming Apple for Microsoft's lack of Windows licensing.

As I said, the licensing issue stems from the fact Windows is not (yet) fully developed to run on ARM processors.  It's a technical issue rather than a financial one. 
    It's silly to portray this as a licensing issue:  Microsoft is in the business of selling software, they would not withhold a viable product for some silly ideological reason like the Apple the Fan-Boys spout on a pretty regular basis.

Hopefully Apple abandons their silly fake-pride based policy of blaming Microsoft when they moved away from the platform and instead assists Microsoft in getting Windows running once again on their Macs. That's a Win-Win-Win:  Apple Wins, Microsoft Wins and customers win. 

I suspect though that Apple is trying to exploit the innate advantages of ARM based processors over x86 based processors.  That's silly.  it's just a matter of time before the PC industry also starts producing ARM based PCs and works with Microsoft to produce a viable version of Windows to run on them.

But, another reason Apple could have for blocking Windows is that they plan on MacOS integrating much more deeply and tightly into the iOS centric ecosystem Apple runs -- and Windows would interfere with bringing Macs fully into that walled garden.    Windows would provide an escape route.

So, rather than look silly and stupid, Federighi just blamed it all on Microsoft.   Slick!
    Don't tell Microsoft that - they've been selling an ARM based laptop, running Windows, for years (since 2019?)...  
    Surface Pro X (ARM laptop)

It is a licensing issue.  Microsoft only sells Windows for ARM to OEMs.  They have to change that decision.  Until they do, it would be silly for Apple to assist with Windows running on Mx Macs.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:
    IF Apple and Microsoft are working to bring Windows to the M1 -- that opens the door to it running on iPads under a BootCamp scenario

That would finally give the iPad the power it needs to be fully functional both in tablet mode and in laptop mode.

The iPad team has been dragging their feet on it long enough.   Maybe, if nothing else, the thought of Windows running on the iPad might get them moving.
    Seriously. That horse is dead. It is not going to move no matter how many times you hit it with that stick.
    He still has a lot of information wrong, but at least he's no longer blaming Apple for Microsoft's lack of Windows licensing.

As I said, the licensing issue stems from the fact Windows is not (yet) fully developed to run on ARM processors.  It's a technical issue rather than a financial one. 
    It's silly to portray this as a licensing issue:  Microsoft is in the business of selling software, they would not withhold a viable product for some silly ideological reason like the Apple the Fan-Boys spout on a pretty regular basis.

Hopefully Apple abandons their silly fake-pride based policy of blaming Microsoft when they moved away from the platform and instead assists Microsoft in getting Windows running once again on their Macs. That's a Win-Win-Win:  Apple Wins, Microsoft Wins and customers win. 

I suspect though that Apple is trying to exploit the innate advantages of ARM based processors over x86 based processors.  That's silly.  it's just a matter of time before the PC industry also starts producing ARM based PCs and works with Microsoft to produce a viable version of Windows to run on them.

But, another reason Apple could have for blocking Windows is that they plan on MacOS integrating much more deeply and tightly into the iOS centric ecosystem Apple runs -- and Windows would interfere with bringing Macs fully into that walled garden.    Windows would provide an escape route.

So, rather than look silly and stupid, Federighi just blamed it all on Microsoft.   Slick!
    Don't tell Microsoft that - they've been selling an ARM based laptop, running Windows, for years (since 2019?)...  

It is a licensing issue.  Microsoft only sells Windows for ARM to OEMs.  They have to change that decision.  Until they do, it would be silly for Apple to assist with Windows running on Mx Macs.

There's are reasons for that:  It's not yet fully developed as a retail product.

But go ahead nda believe that a company that makes its money selling software has decided not to sell software if you want.
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 28 of 35
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:

There's are reasons for that:  It's not yet fully developed as a retail product.

But go ahead nda believe that a company that makes its money selling software has decided not to sell software if it makes you feel better.
    Did you miss the part where Microsoft (and other OEMs) have been selling ARM based Windows systems for two years, or did you just ignore it?

They are selling it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    XedXed Posts: 2,560member
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:

But go ahead nda believe that a company that makes its money selling software has decided not to sell software if you want.
    Where the fuck do you come up with this stupid shit? “Fully developed” means absolutely nothing. As for being a retail product the Surface running Windows ARM has been selling for years successfully. Stop being like Trump and just admit when you’re wrong and out of your depth.
    edited June 2021 elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Xed said:
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:

Where the fuck do you come up with this stupid shit? “Fully developed” means absolutely nothing. As for being a retail product the Surface running Windows ARM has been selling for years successfully. Stop being like Trump and just admit when you’re wrong and out of your depth.

LOL...  In your own words:
    Where the fuck do you come up with this stupid shit?
    Stop being like Trump and thinking the universe adapts to your distorted views.

If Microsoft is selling retail versions of ARM based Windows then go buy it and install it.
    Otherwise stop with with ridiculous claims and insults.
    edited June 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Xed said:
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:

If Microsoft is selling retail versions of ARM based Windows then go buy it and install it.
    YOU go buy it at Best Buy:  Surface Pro XSamsung  Galaxy Book Go
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 35
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:

I said, go buy an ARM based version of WIndows -- you know, like one you could install on your new M1 Mac.   Or, quit with your lies and bullshit.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:

I said, go buy an ARM based version of WIndows -- you know, like one you could install on your new M1 Mac.   Or, quit with your lies and bullshit.
    You need to re-read what you wrote, "Windows is not (yet) fully developed to run on ARM processors." & "it's just a matter of time before the PC industry also starts producing ARM based PCs and works with Microsoft to produce a viable version of Windows to run on them."

They have been selling ARM based PCs (I linked the Surface Pro X & Samsung models) since 2019, with Windows for ARM.

There are no lies or bullshit from me.

Cut your losses & stop replying.
    muthuk_vanalingamXedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 35
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dysamoria said:
    I’ve never agreed MORE with an Apple Insider headline.

I had Windows on my first MacBook Pro, way back in the day. The reason I didn’t stick with it was the trackpad behavior was abysmal. It was inferior, by far, to Mac OS trackpad behavior, but also poor in general, which seems to be consistent with that platform, as I’ve never had a GOOD trackpad experience on Windows.

Because of Windows, I hated trackpads. Apple’s trackpads had to be extra good to convert me and now I AM a convert. I love the gestures. I only use a mouse for gaming and occasionally image editing/art (where a Wacom tablet is more often in use). My only complaint with Apple trackpad behavior is the dead spots around the periphery. I understand the motive (avoid accidental touches), but the execution is annoying. It’s still better than any mouse Apple ever designed (it’s as if they actively & consciously WORK at being bad at mice).

What? One finger = left, two fingers = right. 

rbnetengr said:
    I agree.
    Where I miss the buttons is in scrolling and/or selecting text -- especially a large section of text.   On my grandson's MacBook Air, it usually takes me a couple tries to get it right -- he has no trouble with it though.

What? You don’t need buttons to scroll or select text for any reason whatsoever. No wonder you have so many problems — you don’t know how to use a trackpad. 
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 35
    nicholfd said:
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    nicholfd said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:

You need to re-read what you wrote, "Windows is not (yet) fully developed to run on ARM processors." & "it's just a matter of time before the PC industry also starts producing ARM based PCs and works with Microsoft to produce a viable version of Windows to run on them."

They have been selling ARM based PCs (I linked the Surface Pro X & Samsung models) since 2019, with Windows for ARM.

There are no lies or bullshit from me.

Cut your losses & stop replying.

LOL....  What I said is exactly correct:   Despite your false claims, there is no retail version an ARM based Windows -- such as one available to install on an M1 Mac.  It's not available because it can't run on that platform because it is not yet fully developed..

If you think otherwise then go prove your point:  Go buy it and install it.

Otherwise:  repeating your lies and bullshit doesn't make it true.  That only happens on FauxNews.

Cut your losses & stop replying -- and stop making a fool of yourself.