Some M1 iMac models appear to sit off-center due to manufacturing flaw

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    thedba said: It doesn’t matter if his desk is level at a 45 degree angle or vertical. When measuring left edge and right edge from the surface of the desk, these measurements should be identical. 
    A desk that is 1 or 2 degrees off of level will make the monitor 1 or 2 degrees off as well. So if you're a stickler for things being level, apply the same standard to the desk that the computer screen is going to be used on.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,342member
    thedba said: It doesn’t matter if his desk is level at a 45 degree angle or vertical. When measuring left edge and right edge from the surface of the desk, these measurements should be identical. 
    A desk that is 1 or 2 degrees off of level will make the monitor 1 or 2 degrees off as well. So if you're a stickler for things being level, apply the same standard to the desk that the computer screen is going to be used on.
    Squared to the desktop would be better than nothing at all. When that is visually off it magnifies the unlevel status.

To fix the desk issue might require the floor to be level, and that might require the foundation itself to be level. Gosh so much inter-dependence that a minimally adjustable monitor stand would fix. ;)
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 23 of 27
    gatorguy said: Gosh so much inter-dependence that a minimally adjustable monitor stand would fix. ;)
    It's almost as if there's no guarantee that everything will be level. I'm sure 'Tim Apple' video guy's mind will be blown. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    gatorguy said:
    That might also require the floor to be level, and that might require the foundation itself to be level. Gosh so much inter-dependence that a minimally adjustable monitor stand would fix.
    The desk matching the monitor is a bit of a distraction from what bothers most people: two lines in the field of vision that are expected to be parallel, but are not. Most people cannot see another level reference line to show both monitor & desktop as not-level. 

As with much of our perception, it’s subjective and pattern-seeking. 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,039member
    1 mm is really small.
    I wonder if anyone could tell if their GF’s earrings were 1mm out of level.

I wonder if the same people who brought this up measure the gaps on both sides of each door and the hood to see if they are perfect. For most cars and trucks the answer would be no.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,342member
    davgreg said:
    1 mm is really small.
    I wonder if anyone could tell if their GF’s earrings were 1mm out of level.

I wonder if the same people who brought this up measure the gaps on both sides of each door and the hood to see if they are perfect. For most cars and trucks the answer would be no.

Other stands were measured as much as 4mm off, so others could of course be more or less. With so few reports at the moment and no idea how many units are in the field it may not be any issue at all, just a normal rate of flaws. 
    edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 27
    sbdude said:
    1mm. I have no idea what apple’s tolerances are, but that can’t be far outside, if at all. something like that measurement could be an issue with the feet on the stand.
    It’s not 1mm, it’s 4mm.  7.6mm on one side and 8mm on the other side. That would easily be visible when using the Mac and would be a constant annoyance for the life of the machine.  I would return it too.