Windows 11 leaks invoke Windows 10x design, tease new Start menu

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    DAalseth said:
    OMG it’s still happening. The microsoft Tick-Tock. Every other version of Windows is terrible. 10 was good, 8 was terrible, 7 was good, Vista was terrible, XP was good, ME was terrible.

From the looks of this interface it appears that Win 11 could well be a tock.
    Not so much good and terrible as tolerable and intolerable.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I was under the impression that every version of Windows going forward would be Windows 10. 
    That's only cool when Apple does it.  When Apple stops doing it, Redmond follows.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 30
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    „Design“? What design?  :D
    hydrogenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 30
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    mobird said:
    They should have announced that it is coming to Apple M-series computers...
    I 2nd that. When that happens, my Intel Mac will go on sale.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Appalling design, and all the old stuff still underneath. 

Microsoft can't get close to Apple. They would need a HUGE restructure on the core of the company.

Apple is not afraid to ditch the old. That is the courage Phil Schiller talked about and got laughed at.
    williamlondonharrykatsaros
  • Reply 26 of 30
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    If macOS is so great and Windows sucks so bad, why is it that on my modern Windows computers I can launch an Office app (Word, Excel, Outlook) and it's ready to work within 2 seconds (if not instantly), yet I do the same thing on my BRAND NEW M1 Mac, and it's bounce, bounce, bounce on the dock 9 times, then FINALLY, I can work?  Want to use Affinity apps?  Windows launches almost instantly, and on the Mac, over 20 (yes, TWENTY+) bounces on the dock before it's ready (up to 27 bounces).

And you say the registry sucks?  Puh-leez...
  • Reply 27 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    ITGUYINSD said:
    If macOS is so great and Windows sucks so bad, why is it that on my modern Windows computers I can launch an Office app (Word, Excel, Outlook) and it's ready to work within 2 seconds (if not instantly), yet I do the same thing on my BRAND NEW M1 Mac, and it's bounce, bounce, bounce on the dock 9 times, then FINALLY, I can work?  Want to use Affinity apps?  Windows launches almost instantly, and on the Mac, over 20 (yes, TWENTY+) bounces on the dock before it's ready (up to 27 bounces).

Yes the registry sucks and this video shows 2 bounces for Affinity:

Office apps at 5:50, 1-2 bounces:

Maybe you aren't using native versions.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 30
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member
    ITGUYINSD said:

What the hell is wrong with your machine? I use all those same apps (Office and Affinity Designer) on my 2014 MacBook Pro and they all launch instantly. 

Try this. Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching Affinity then select Clear from the dialog that will appear. This should reset the app. 
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Microsoft has some really good devs over there. Just look at VSCode (yes, I know is open source, but is actively maintained by Microsoft). That being said, their biggest problem that they face is that they are trying to make their OS for every possible computer out there, with no real direction. As several have stated, they are still supporting 32bit machines. As several have stated, they are still using the Registry. A couple have said that they should use the Linux kernel and essentially make a Windowing Manager for it. After all, this is exactly what Apple has done with Mac OS ever sense it became Mac OS X (Darwin core, Aqua Windowing Manager).

That said, even if Microsoft were to take that brave of a step, their management would probably screw it up epically. Instead of a Linux core, they'd probably choose something like SCO Unix...
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 30
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Microsoft has some really good devs over there. Just look at VSCode (yes, I know is open source, but is actively maintained by Microsoft). That being said, their biggest problem that they face is that they are trying to make their OS for every possible computer out there, with no real direction. As several have stated, they are still supporting 32bit machines. As several have stated, they are still using the Registry. A couple have said that they should use the Linux kernel and essentially make a Windowing Manager for it. After all, this is exactly what Apple has done with Mac OS ever sense it became Mac OS X (Darwin core, Aqua Windowing Manager).

That said, even if Microsoft were to take that brave of a step, their management would probably screw it up epically. Instead of a Linux core, they'd probably choose something like SCO Unix...
    Yep - it SUCKS!  Lowest common denominator.  It's based on Electron (Javascript), which is a cross platform development environment that looks like shit everywhere and follows almost ZERO native OS features or keystrokes.

Think Java - runs poorly everywhere!

VScode for macOS SUCKS big time.