Apple may have been planning black ceramic Apple Watch Series 5

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2021
Newly released photos allegedly show a black ceramic Apple Watch Series 5 that was never released.

Apple Watch Series 5 alleged black ceramic case
Apple Watch Series 5 alleged black ceramic case

Apple released the Apple Watch Series 5 in 2019 with a ceramic "Edition" version, but it was only available in white. Edition versions of Apple Watch are not released every year and are not always the same material.

A photo shared by a usual part leaker named "Mr. White" on Twitter shows what could be a black ceramic Apple Watch Series 5. This device was never announced, and could have been scrapped for any number of reasons.

Apple Watch S5 Edition Black Ceramic pic.twitter.com/XgNgObxq7n

-- Mr White (@laobaiTD)

There are no "Edition" Apple Watch models with the Apple Watch Series 6. The original Apple Watch Edition was made from 18 carat gold and sold for $10,000.

As of the Apple Watch Series 2, Apple switched the Edition material to ceramic from 18 karat gold. Apple did not release Edition versions of the Apple Watch Series 4 or Apple Watch Series 6.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kurai_kagekurai_kage Posts: 105member
    Really hoping Apple continues releasing ceramic watches, even if it is every other year.  It is an amazing material, particularly coupled with the sapphire crystal display.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    The Apple Watch series 6 In titanium is actually an Apple Watch Edition. I own one and it’s also listed on site. Just to be the pedant in the room lol 😆 
    bageljoey
  • Reply 3 of 5
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Apple did not release Edition versions of the Apple Watch Series 4 or Apple Watch Series 6.

edited June 2021
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Is there is a connection between this article and "Prototype Apple Watch with case designed to look like a brick phone leaks" (14 June)? In my comment to that article I wondered what Apple was trying to hide...new ceramic watch cases maybe?

Credit AppleDemoCredit AppleDemo
  • Reply 5 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hank2.0 said:
    Is there is a connection between this article and "Prototype Apple Watch with case designed to look like a brick phone leaks" (14 June)? In my comment to that article I wondered what Apple was trying to hide...new ceramic watch cases maybe?

Credit AppleDemoCredit AppleDemo
    As I said to you there, they’re trying to hide that it’s a watch.  The report was that this was used with the first generation.
    edited June 2021 fastasleep