Apple cuts AppleCare+ prices for M1 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2021
The cost of AppleCare+ extra warranty coverage for the Apple Silicon MacBook Pro and MacBook Air has been reduced, while other models remain unchanged.

AppleCare+ provides extra insurance protection for Apple devices
AppleCare+ provides extra insurance protection for Apple devices

Apple has cut $50, or around a fifth, off the price of AppleCare+ for the M1 version of the MacBook Air. At the same time, the M1 MacBook Pro has seen the cost of its coverage reduced by $20.

The new price applies to anyone buying AppleCare+ alongside a new Mac. AppleCare+ can now also be bought during a certain period after purchase, subject in certain situations to a visual inspection of the device at an Apple Store.

Officially, that certain period is 60 days from the date the device was bought. However, Apple has at times extended this, due to the coronavirus. According to MacRumors, Apple is allowing recent buyers to cancel their existing AppleCare+ contract and buy at the new rate.

Prices for all other Macs, including the Intel version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro, are unaffected. This means that, for the time being at least, coverage of these specific Apple Silicon Macs is less expensive than that of Intel Macs.

AppleCare+ continues to offer the same insurance protection for Apple devices that it did. That means up to two incidents of accidental damage per year, subject to a service charge that starts at $99 per incident.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    What ....no love for the M1 iPad Pro?
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ClassicGeekClassicGeek Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    AppleCare+ is not insurance, nor is it an extended warranty, it is a service contract. There is a legal distinction. Only AppleCare + with Theft and Loss (only available for iPhones in the US and a couple other regions) has an insurance component. 

doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    AppleCare+ is not insurance, nor is it an extended warranty, it is a service contract. There is a legal distinction. Only AppleCare + with Theft and Loss (only available for iPhones in the US and a couple other regions) has an insurance component. 

To most people it can be equated to the coverage on their car:

Limited AppleCare: 1 year parts and labour against defects (seems like warranty, but don't use that term with customers!), 90 days phone support
    AppleCare Plus: goes to 2 or 3 years on the above features plus accidental damage coverage with a service fee (like collision insurance with a deductible). The US terms and conditions for AppleCare Plus mention Insurance in the State by State terms explicitly for legal reasons.

Then your theft and loss coverage if available - which would be like the equivalent on your car.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 6
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Makes sense. I haven't had to take a Mac portable in for repair in years, and yet I keep getting AppleCare.

AirPods Pro on the other hand... I've had to replace three individual AirPods, plus one case under warranty. And I'm about to go in and have them replace another AirPod. AppleCare runs out in November. The race is on between tossing these or buying a new generation.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Appleish said:
    Makes sense. I haven't had to take a Mac portable in for repair in years, and yet I keep getting AppleCare.

AirPods Pro on the other hand... I've had to replace three individual AirPods, plus one case under warranty. And I'm about to go in and have them replace another AirPod. AppleCare runs out in November. The race is on between tossing these or buying a new generation.
    My first thought when I read the story is that it must mean the initial reliability data on the M1 systems has been good; they wouldn't drop the price if they were losing money on the deal.
    spock1234williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    PuggyPuggy Posts: 1member
    MplsP said:
    Appleish said:

My first thought when I read the story is that it must mean the initial reliability data on the M1 systems has been good; they wouldn't drop the price if they were losing money on the deal.
    I’m a data analyst for an insurance company and can confirm they probably have some good data on increased reliability to be able to price this lower. Either that or the costs of repair are much lower.  Doubt Apple would reduce their margin on such a product. Insurance underwriters have target loss ratios, in which insurance products are priced to match. If products make too much profit they can attract the attention of regulators, such as the FCA in the UK.
    spock1234williamlondonMplsP