'Ted Lasso' wins Peabody Award for its 'radical optimism'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Apple TV+ hit comedy "Ted Lasso" has been honored with a Peabody in the 81st year of these prestigious awards.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Already a multi-award winning hit with nods from the Writers' Guild, Critics Choice and Directors' Guild, "Ted Lasso" has now been presented with a Peabody Award. Peabody's are presented to shows and series that are judged to be excellent.

"What this presumably Ugly American, fish-out-of-water tale offers... is a charming dose of radical optimism, with an equally endearing Jason Sudeikis as Ted Lasso," said the Peabody Awards organizers in a statement. "For offering the perfect counter to the enduring prevalence of toxic masculinity, both on-screen and off, in a moment when the nation truly needs inspiring models of kindness, Ted Lasso wins a Peabody."

This year's Peabody Awards ceremony has been cancelled because of coronavirus. "Ted Lasso" star and writer Jason Sudeikis thanked the Peabody judges in a video message.

"Thank you so much for this honour, it's really, really incredible," he said. "We are flattered, from every one of the writers and producers to everyone in the production office editing staff post production, the cast the crew. Everyone at Apple, Warner Brothers, Doozer [Productions]."

"[Also my] parents, my sisters. Probably my kids if I could just get them to sit down and watch the darn show," he continued.

The second season of "Ted Lasso" is due to begin streaming on Apple TV+ on July 23. Separately, a new trailer was released today on Twitter.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Well Deserved!
    Oferanantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wd4fsuwd4fsu Posts: 28member
    First, hats off to Ted Lasso - love the show.

But I can't help but be saddened that an optimism is rare enough to garner enough attention to garner awards.   Perhaps it is the start of a trend!  (but maybe I'm just being optimistic :smile: )

Oferanantksundaram
  • Reply 3 of 6
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    My favorite Apple TV+ show. Changed my opinion of Jason completely. What a genius!
    edited June 2021 BeatsOfer
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MicDorseyMicDorsey Posts: 100member
    Ted Lasso is a huge success because of world-class storyline, casting, and production. Can't we leave it at that?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 6
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Just binged the first season of Ted Lasso. I don’t know what to make of it — but I loved every episode.

Wonderful story lines, wonderful characters, convincing actors bringing  them to lifel 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wd4fsu said:
    First, hats off to Ted Lasso - love the show.

But I can't help but be saddened that an optimism is rare enough to garner enough attention to garner awards.   Perhaps it is the start of a trend!  (but maybe I'm just being optimistic :smile: )

Don’t get your hopes up just yet. Negativity, crises, evildoing, greed, man’s inhumanity to man still generate the most advertising dollars