Nearly 75% of Apple users don't want an 'iPhone 13,' more than half not excited about iOS ...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    jose8964 said:
    The number 13 is considered bad luck in some cultures. So maybe Apple might want to avoid that
    Screw'em.  Those are bad cultures ;)
  • Reply 42 of 56
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    the whole smartphone market is just plateaued after almost 15 years of no major changes, probably completely new hardwares could open up a new market

Um, the iPhone line is only 14 years old... Unless you're claiming there have been no major changes since the original iPhone, which I would have to disagree with.  There may not have been another huge leap like the iPhone was at the time, but there has definitely been vast, incremental improvement.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    MplsP said:
    maltz said:
    I'm actually more excited about iOS 15 than I have been in quite a while...
    • On-device Siri (not just for privacy, but some of us sometimes do things outside of cell range)
    • The return of the magnifying glass when moving the text entry cursor (whose bright idea was it to kill that in the first place?!?)
    • Users who want to take a wait-and-see approach (which is widely recommended) can stay on iOS 14 for a while and still get security updates
    The magnifying glass will be nice, but I’ve taken to just using press-hold on the space bar when I want to move the cursor.

Well crap.  I didn't even know that was a thing!  Feature discovery is definitely one of iOS' weak points.  (Not to pick on iOS, it's a tech industry-wide problem the last 10-15 years, imo.)
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Not being a triskaidekaphobic yokel, I’m wanting one to replace an iPhone XS. Bring it on! Unless it turns out the world IS flat and the ‘69 moon landing WAS a hoax, but I think we’re safe. 
    LeftyLisa
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Does it really matter what the hell it’s called?   You either like the phone or you don’t…..does anyone really say…”honey, have you seen my iPhone 12 Pro Max, or “honey have you seen my fricken phone?”
  • Reply 46 of 56
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    iPhone Monetary 
    MacBookPro Monetary

Just name each product by the OS release name for the year. 

• Reply 47 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    iOS15 looks like a decent improvement, but I get not being excited about it. The days of inventive new features are in the past IMO, smartphones now more commodity than magic. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 56
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I’d be interested in iOS 15 if Apple had made a big deal about having put serious effort into eliminating bugs, optimizing for resource usage and speed, and other related discussions.

INSTEAD, we got more “feature” announcements, almost all of which are entirely irrelevant to my iPhone usage needs.

My greatest need is for the OS and its many parts to be seriously BUG-FIXED and for gestures to not interfere with each other.

My parents’ greatest needs are the same, PLUS a need for the device to be brought back to its original ease of use. That means an easily-discovered & easily-read UI, and the overall simplicity that made it a brilliant product when it first came out. Today, it’s just more of the overly-complicated inconsistent trash it originally shamed on the market.

The reliance on ever-increasingly complex, shrunken, & virtually (and literally) invisible user interface methods, especially where they require that people don’t suffer any  fine motor skills problems, has made the device a source of anger and frustration for my mother, instead of the happy & fun tool it started out as in the beginning.

Talking about “new features” guarantees the opposite of all the above needs being addressed.

Every single thing above is also relevant to Mac OS.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    jimh2 said:
    Number superstitions on worldwide products are tough. Consider Asian countries only…

Lucky and unlucky numbers

The Chinese system of numerology, which has echoes throughout Asia, gives significance to different numbers based upon the sounds of their names. Four is unlucky as it sounds like the word for death or suffering ...

Basically, once you cross this line, you can't really get into any number anymore.

Given the fact that they release the iPhone in September every year, I doubt they want to be marketing the iPhone 2021 all through out 2022, just makes it feel dated. I could almost see them doing what car companies do and let you buy next year’s model a few months before the new year. But again, you’d end up with trouble differentiating them if you just named every one without an indicator. They could go with iPhone A15, or iPhone 15th generation. 

What about iPhone Cheeta, then. iPhone Puma, then iPhone Jaguar?
    I mean, they could just go with iPhone, and then in the settings it's like MacOS where it says (late-2021) or that kind of thing. Their model names/numbers are so completely messed up anyway at this point that standardizing on such a system might be best for everyone. Well, except for the marketing department that wants something to easily tell for the up-to-date fashion types. They could just engrave the date and money spent on the back or something as the ultimate version of that.

WilliamM said:
    The stuff abut Legacy Data might be interesting if it split the responses by age. Are younger people more interested in hiding things after their death that older ones? I'm over 65 and have no concerns about my family getting access to my stuff after I've gone because I'm confident there's nothing worth hiding.
    Yeah, it probably comes with age to some extent, as you start thinking about these things. I think it is a great idea, and have wondered why there aren't more services for this. I guess because a lot of people just don't think about it until it is too late. I've done some business-succession planning, so I guess that puts it on my mind a bit more as well. If you've got stuff to hide, then there are apps for that, but there's no reason to leave people after you with nothing, considering how much important data is often in our tech these days.

re. mortality rates - unfortunately, lifespans are now headed back in the wrong direction.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    dysamoria said:
    The reliance on ever-increasingly complex, shrunken, & virtually (and literally) invisible user interface methods, especially where they require that people don’t suffer any  fine motor skills problems, has made the device a source of anger and frustration for my mother, instead of the happy & fun tool it started out as in the beginning.
    They still often do better than the rest, but I do miss the Apple that carefully thought about UX/UI.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    cgWerks said:
    dysamoria said:
    They still often do better than the rest, but I do miss the Apple that carefully thought about UX/UI.
    I just spent a very frustrating hour figuring out how to change requiring a password for each and every app, including FREE ONES, before I would be allowed to download them. "It just works" it did not. Thank goodness for YouTube videos, and an argument for short and less secure passwords for less security conscience owners. No, I still use a relatively long and very secure password anyway.

I very much looked forward to being an iPhone owner but some of the UX/UI decisions seem so anal, not at all user friendly.  There's been far too much user input required for some simple actions. 
    edited June 2021 cgWerks
  • Reply 52 of 56
    gatorguy said:
    I just spent a very frustrating hour figuring out how to change requiring a password for each and every app, including FREE ONES, before I would be allowed to download them. "It just works" it did not. Thank goodness for YouTube videos, and an argument for short and less secure passwords for less security conscience owners. No, I still use a relatively long and very secure password anyway.

I very much looked forward to being an iPhone owner but some of the UX/UI decisions seem so anal, not at all user friendly.  There's been far too much user input required for some simple actions. 
    Yeah, a lot of the iCloud and AppleID stuff is code from when their cloud service stuff was absolutely horrible. It's getting better, but when you get into one of those messes, it can be hard to get out. I had one where my Mac apps (from App Store) refused to update. I tried a bunch of stuff, and eventually run across an article about 'killing' a particular process (which seemed to survive restarts and everything), which returned it to normal behavior.

I've had more stuff like that in the last couple decades, than I did in all my Mac years combined, back into the late '80s. So many aspects are truly better, but the parts that suck, REALLY suck now.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    cgWerks said:
    gatorguy said:

Yeah, a lot of the iCloud and AppleID stuff is code from when their cloud service stuff was absolutely horrible. It's getting better, but when you get into one of those messes, it can be hard to get out.
    No one will want to hear it, and few would be open-minded enough to try, but I think everyone here would benefit from using a Pixel exclusively for 10 days before going back to their iPhone. The Android experience has its very good points and using a Pixel might be an incentive to push for some user-experience improvements on their daily drivers.

I'm not giving up on the iPhone but dang it can be frustrating with certain tasks. Even something as common as paying with a phone tap requires more input on an iPhone than on a Pixel., and there's no reason it should. 
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 54 of 56
    How about a cute name like iPhone-Im4u? Right afterwards Google can introduce the the Pixel-Sux4u

Incredibly silly superstition aside, a survey at face value means nothing. Inadequate sampling, framed questioning, improperly represented spread of iPhone user demos, ultimate manipulation to enhance clickbait. Nothing like this is to be taken at face value. 

That is all ;-)

• Reply 55 of 56
    gatorguy said:
    No one will want to hear it, and few would be open-minded enough to try, but I think everyone here would benefit from using a Pixel exclusively for 10 days before going back to their iPhone. The Android experience has its very good points and using a Pixel might be an incentive to push for some user-experience improvements on their daily drivers. 

I'm not giving up on the iPhone but dang it can be frustrating with certain tasks. Even something as common as paying with a phone tap requires more input on an iPhone than on a Pixel., and there's no reason it should. 
    I might find out in a few years if they EoL the 'mini' form factor, like the rumors indicate. Do the premium Android makers have form factors similar or smaller?