Apple-backed think tanks urge lawmakers not to vote for antitrust bills

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 22
A group of nonprofit organizations, including some connected to Apple, have sent a letter to the House Judiciary Committee urging them to reject a slate of recently released antitrust bills.

Credit: Quick PS/Unsplash
Credit: Quick PS/Unsplash


The letter is signed by various think tanks, political advocacy groups, and nonprofit organizations. They include groups sponsored by Apple, such as TechNet, the Consumer Technology Alliance, and the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.

"At a time when voters are looking to Congress to address the country's most pressing challenges, it seems hard to believe that Congress is instead on the verge of banning Amazon Prime and Amazon Basics; banning the preinstallation of iMessage and FaceTime on iPhones; and banning Google from including Google Maps in its search results," the letter reads.

Earlier in June, U.S. House lawmakers introduced five sweeping bills intended to rein in the power of Silicon Valley technology giants. The bills include legislation that could place restrictions on the preinstallation of apps on devices and the acquisition of smaller companies by technology juggernauts.

The letter, which was sent on Monday, suggests that the bills could ban Google from displaying YouTube videos in search results and block Apple from preinstalling the "Find My" on iPhone devices.

"We believe that voters want Congress to fix things that are broken -- not break or ban things that they feel are working well," the companies wrote. "We strongly encourage you to reject these proposals."

The U.S. House Judiciary Committee will soon review and mark up the antitrust bills. The legislation was introduced after a 16-month investigation into the power of Silicon Valley companies, which reached the conclusion that Big Tech is monopolistic.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,160member
     various think tanks, political advocacy groups, and nonprofit organizations. They include groups sponsored by Apple, such as TechNet, the Consumer Technology Alliance, and the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.”

    Why don’t we just say ‘industry lobbyists’ since that’s effectively what these organizations are?
    FileMakerFellermagman1979dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 260member
    Politicians are reaching too far into my phone. If I buy an iPhone it’s because I like how Apple sets it up. I don’t want Congress to interfere in my enjoyment of my phone. Hands off!!!
    pichaeluraharamagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 808member
    MplsP said:
    “ various think tanks, political advocacy groups, and nonprofit organizations. They include groups sponsored by Apple, such as TechNet, the Consumer Technology Alliance, and the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.”

    Why don’t we just say ‘industry lobbyists’ since that’s effectively what these organizations are?


    I guess terms like that and “bag men” aren’t considered politically correct. 

    edited June 22
  • Reply 4 of 10
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,230member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Politicians are reaching too far into my phone. If I buy an iPhone it’s because I like how Apple sets it up. I don’t want Congress to interfere in my enjoyment of my phone. Hands off!!!
    I agree!
    pichaelmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 684member
    genovelle said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    Politicians are reaching too far into my phone. If I buy an iPhone it’s because I like how Apple sets it up. I don’t want Congress to interfere in my enjoyment of my phone. Hands off!!!
    I agree!
    Totally 
    pichaelmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    uraharaurahara Posts: 545member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    genovelle said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    Politicians are reaching too far into my phone. If I buy an iPhone it’s because I like how Apple sets it up. I don’t want Congress to interfere in my enjoyment of my phone. Hands off!!!
    I agree!
    Totally 
    Absolutely! 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Regardless of preference, there are laws and constitution that need to be upheld if we are to keep post-war advances in freedom for the people. These are already being attacked from everywhere at the moment.

    Had these laws not existed - when Microsoft was having a shot at justifying their demise -, there is a high likelihood that there would be no Apple today. Certainly not the majestic and revolutionary company it has been.

    If Apple and Google and the rest of the gang have their way with these blatant distortions of reality, they themselves will have no incentive to keep up their impressive work so far. Fair competition and plural offerings are the basis of our way of life. In this instance, these companies will still be able to do what they do, and everyone of us will still be able to have our telescreens has we wish to customize them. We will just have a choice, that costs the price of installing a couple of Apps in the name of freedom. Even though nobody seems to notice, and nobody seems to care, that little bit of effort from all of us who prefer these services e.g. Facetime and Messages like i do, sustains the possibility that new Apples and Googles and the lot can still come in and inspire us, just like Apple did, to Think Different™. Nowadays id be happy already with just Think™..

    I also ask the moderators that this thread be verified for bots, other than me🙂 peace
  • Reply 8 of 10
    red oakred oak Posts: 876member
    PDRPRTS said:
    Regardless of preference, there are laws and constitution that need to be upheld if we are to keep post-war advances in freedom for the people. These are already being attacked from everywhere at the moment.

    Had these laws not existed - when Microsoft was having a shot at justifying their demise -, there is a high likelihood that there would be no Apple today. Certainly not the majestic and revolutionary company it has been.

    If Apple and Google and the rest of the gang have their way with these blatant distortions of reality, they themselves will have no incentive to keep up their impressive work so far. Fair competition and plural offerings are the basis of our way of life. In this instance, these companies will still be able to do what they do, and everyone of us will still be able to have our telescreens has we wish to customize them. We will just have a choice, that costs the price of installing a couple of Apps in the name of freedom. Even though nobody seems to notice, and nobody seems to care, that little bit of effort from all of us who prefer these services e.g. Facetime and Messages like i do, sustains the possibility that new Apples and Googles and the lot can still come in and inspire us, just like Apple did, to Think Different™. Nowadays id be happy already with just Think™..

    I also ask the moderators that this thread be verified for bots, other than me🙂 peace
    Are you off your meds again?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,398member
    MplsP said:
    “ various think tanks, political advocacy groups, and nonprofit organizations. They include groups sponsored by Apple, such as TechNet, the Consumer Technology Alliance, and the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.”

    Why don’t we just say ‘industry lobbyists’ since that’s effectively what these organizations are?
    I came here to say the same thing.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,398member
    red oak said:
    PDRPRTS said:
    Regardless of preference, there are laws and constitution that need to be upheld if we are to keep post-war advances in freedom for the people. These are already being attacked from everywhere at the moment.

    Had these laws not existed - when Microsoft was having a shot at justifying their demise -, there is a high likelihood that there would be no Apple today. Certainly not the majestic and revolutionary company it has been.

    If Apple and Google and the rest of the gang have their way with these blatant distortions of reality, they themselves will have no incentive to keep up their impressive work so far. Fair competition and plural offerings are the basis of our way of life. In this instance, these companies will still be able to do what they do, and everyone of us will still be able to have our telescreens has we wish to customize them. We will just have a choice, that costs the price of installing a couple of Apps in the name of freedom. Even though nobody seems to notice, and nobody seems to care, that little bit of effort from all of us who prefer these services e.g. Facetime and Messages like i do, sustains the possibility that new Apples and Googles and the lot can still come in and inspire us, just like Apple did, to Think Different™. Nowadays id be happy already with just Think™..

    I also ask the moderators that this thread be verified for bots, other than me🙂 peace
    Are you off your meds again?  
    Stop throwing that meme around. Psych drugs don’t fix damage done by toxic experiences or acculturation. They do not treat undesirable personality traits, but they *can* CAUSE them.

    Long-term use of psych drugs is statistically shown to lead to worse outcomes.

    Rambling paranoia is known to be worsened by long-term use of psych drugs. The concept of so-called “relapse” is actually a withdrawal effect, not a “return of the disease process”.

    Long term use of psych drugs for depression and other “undesirable behavior” is not evidence-based medicine. There’s no scientific validation of the “chemical imbalance” hypothesis, no matter what biased sources will claim. (That includes corporate bias in pharma-funded “studies” and emotional bias from the users of these substances who sincerely believe they’re helped by them, which is NOT how you attain scientifically-valid data)
    muthuk_vanalingam
Sign In or Register to comment.