Microsoft Windows 11 revealed with dramatic increase in system requirements

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 103
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tmay said:
    LOL... Mac users seldom use the app store -- yet you claim "apple users are uninterested in any but the app store".

And, for proof, you use your usual:  "Somebody said".

The truth is though:  if or when sideloading is permitted on iPhones the app store concept will likely fade into the background:   Not only will developers have little reason to subject themselves to hassle and expense of selling through the app store -- but users will be bombarded with pleas to "just click here...." (simple, quicker and cheaper than going through the app store.

While that sounds great what will be lost is the security of Apple vetting all apps and the overall security of iPhones -- which for many is its #1 feature and what separates it from its competition.

You probably need to be reminded that Apple distributes all of its Mac Apps, including Arcade, via the Mac App Store, so you really need to link your source(s) to support your statement, "Mac users seldom use the app store". Otherwise, I'll continue to believe that you just "made your statements up", as you are notorious for, rather than attempt to actually research it.

Myself, I prefer purchasing via the Mac App Store, but I will also purchase directly from the developer when that is required. Most of my existing Mac Apps are available on the Mac App Store, I get automatic updates, and I prefer to look in the Mac Apps Store first, when I looking for a Mac software solution.

With that out of the way, I agree with Gatorguy that most mobile users will continue to prefer to find their apps either in the Google Play Store, in the case of Android OS devices, or in the iOS App Store, in the case of iPhones. Developers are aware of this preference, so no, those two stores aren't going anywhere.

EDIT;

You know how you're just browsing around, and find the exact article that you want to link to, and just happens to show up when you need it?

https://uk.pcmag.com/mobile-apps/134142/microsofts-android-app-plan-for-windows-11-is-doomed

The Amazon Appstore is a sad dollar-store of forlorn Android apps.

OMG...

Google is probably saying "thank you" as it absolutely helps them if antitrust regulators try to argue Google Play is limiting app store choices and thus completion for Android app pricing and sourcing. Obviously they are not. There's a number of viable Android app stores two security clicks and less than a minute away and at whatever price the store and/or developer wants to offer it for. Google has zero say in any of it.
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 102 of 103
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    LOL... Mac users seldom use the app store -- yet you claim "apple users are uninterested in any but the app store".

The truth is though:  if or when sideloading is permitted on iPhones the app store concept will likely fade into the background:   Not only will developers have little reason to subject themselves to hassle and expense of selling through the app store -- but users will be bombarded with pleas to "just click here...." (simple, quicker and cheaper than going through the app store.

While that sounds great what will be lost is the security of Apple vetting all apps and the overall security of iPhones -- which for many is its #1 feature and what separates it from its competition.

You probably need to be reminded that Apple distributes all of its Mac Apps, including Arcade, via the Mac App Store, so you really need to link your source(s) to support your statement, "Mac users seldom use the app store". Otherwise, I'll continue to believe that you just "made your statements up", as you are notorious for, rather than attempt to actually research it.

Myself, I prefer purchasing via the Mac App Store, but I will also purchase directly from the developer when that is required. Most of my existing Mac Apps are available on the Mac App Store, I get automatic updates, and I prefer to look in the Mac Apps Store first, when I looking for a Mac software solution.

With that out of the way, I agree with Gatorguy that most mobile users will continue to prefer to find their apps either in the Google Play Store, in the case of Android OS devices, or in the iOS App Store, in the case of iPhones. Developers are aware of this preference, so no, those two stores aren't going anywhere.

EDIT;

You know how you're just browsing around, and find the exact article that you want to link to, and just happens to show up when you need it?

https://uk.pcmag.com/mobile-apps/134142/microsofts-android-app-plan-for-windows-11-is-doomed

OMG...

Aside from the fact you imply I said something I never said, your accusation is, as usual, ridiculous.
    For sources I'll refer you back to the comments on this thread -- that you apparently ignore because they don't support your agenda.
    But please try to keep up.  Try.   I know its hard for you.
  • Reply 103 of 103
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

EDIT;

OMG...

Google is probably saying "thank you" as it absolutely helps them if antitrust regulators try to argue Google Play is limiting app store choices and thus completion for Android app pricing and sourcing. Obviously they are not. There's a number of viable Android app stores two security clicks and less than a minute away and at whatever price the store and/or developer wants to offer it for. Google has zero say in any of it.

Yeh, and that's good.
    Open systems have their advantages as well as their disadvantages
    Walled gardens have their advantages as well as their disadvantages.

It's nice that users (currently) have a choice.

Personally I can't imagine anyone arguing that Google should become more like Apple or that Apple should become more like Google.
    But, they will....
    edited June 2021