Apple CEO Tim Cook celebrates grand opening of Apple Tower Theatre in LA

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook made an appearance at the grand opening of Apple Tower Theatre, the company's new retail location in downtown L.A., celebrating alongside employees and other attendees.

Credit: Tim Cook
Credit: Tim Cook

Cook attended the grand opening alongside retail chief Deirdre O'Brien. During the grand opening, he took pictures with both attendees and welcomed the first customers into the store.

Today we opened the doors to our new store in downtown LA -- Apple Tower Theatre. It's a testament to a city rich in culture and diversity. We're so excited to be a part of DTLA! pic.twitter.com/l4UQmZQ5x4

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Apple Tower Theatre is one of the company's most ambitious restoration projects to date. Built in a historic cinema in L.A.'s Broadway Theater District, the Apple retail location was the result of collaboration between the Cupertino tech giant, leading preservationists and restoration artists, and the City of Los Angeles.

Apple Tower Theatre is the company's first brick-and-mortar location in downtown Los Angeles. It's also the center of a new Today at Apple project meant to offer hands-on experience and mentorship to creatives to young creatives from underrepresented communities.

Other people in attendance at the grand opening include YouTuber Justine Ezarik, who took a selfie with the Apple chief executive.

oh my gosh blurry selfie with Tim on the way into the new Tower Theater Store! pic.twitter.com/b2MojNGDhV

-- iJustine (@ijustine)

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I’ve been watching this one for years. Glad it’s finally open. It’s beautiful.

Does Apple actually expect people to call the Store “Apple Tower Theatre”? What a long and terrible name. Fits in line with Apple’s recent names like “Apple TV+“ which could have just been “TV+”.

Just a thought: maybe some day Apple could buy a modern cinema, make it a Store that also plays Apple TV+ movies for free.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,099member
    It will be the "iTower" soon...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,461member
    Arg iJustine’s gorgeousness just got wasted on Tim  :D :D :D
    williamlondonelijahgGeorgeBMacBeats
  • Reply 4 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I wonder if he knew who she was, or if he thought he was just posing with some rando. 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I’m not from California , but I’ve always heard that nobody goes to downtown L.A. after 5 pm and on the weekends. Are there any L.A. people out there that can confirm if that’s true, or bullshit?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    My friend in LA says parking is impossible and expensive down there. No free parking. Also a known homeless part of town.
    edited June 2021 williamlondonjony0
  • Reply 7 of 17
    My friend in LA says parking is impossible and expensive down there. No free parking. Also a known homeless part of town.
    Ohhh boy… Okay, so there are homeless people and?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    AlgerAlger Posts: 29member
    Impossibly busy and expensive, yet "known homeless part of town".  Do you anti-homeless people even hear yourselves?  
    GeorgeBMacBeats
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Alger said:
    Impossibly busy and expensive, yet "known homeless part of town".  Do you anti-homeless people even hear yourselves?  
    He was simply answering a question by relaying facts given to him by a friend. Not one word of his post implied that he was “anti” anything. Stop being so easily triggered…not everything is a cause to take up arms, ffs. 
    edited June 2021 elijahgchemengin1
  • Reply 10 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Japhey said:
    Alger said:
    He was simply answering a question by relaying facts given to him by a friend. Not one word of his post implied that he was “anti” anything. Stop being so easily triggered…not everything is a cause to take up arms, ffs. 

Is that like "Many people are saying"?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I am glad to see Apple Renovating these places -- not just in LA but elsewhere too.

Pittsburgh is/was filled with similar beautiful, elaborate structures that simply will not and cannot ever be duplicated.   They are pieces of artwork created by artists and craftsmen who are long gone.  Once they're gone, they're gone -- like an extinct species.

As the center of the American industrial revolution Pittsburgh had more than most.
    Unfortunately, in Pittsburgh's "cultural revolution" back in the 60's, many were torn down to make way for modern steel and glass monstrosities...

Fortunately, we saved a few.
    And there are more laying around rotting waiting for an Apple to come along.
    Beats
  • Reply 12 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

What???

Japhey said:
    Alger said:

People need to stop calling opinions “facts”. 

Japhey said:
    I’m not from California , but I’ve always heard that nobody goes to downtown L.A. after 5 pm and on the weekends. Are there any L.A. people out there that can confirm if that’s true, or bullshit?

L.A. wants to restore that part of town and was happy about Apple taking a building. Look it up on YouTube.

I’m sure Apple did their research as they always do.

Even if it’s a dead part of town, it won’t be anymore!!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Japhey said:
    5 PM? That's definitely not the case. Too many hotels, bars, and restaurants in the downtown area and the Staples Center is right there as well. I don't live in LA but I've been to concerts at that arena and there's all kinds of people milling around downtown when things like that are going on. 
    GeorgeBMacminicoffee
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Japhey said:
    Alger said:

Is that like "Many people are saying"?
    Dudxhon udhjfbnfddhjdxsf?
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Beats said:

What???

Japhey said:
    Alger said:

People need to stop calling opinions “facts”. 

Japhey said:

L.A. wants to restore that part of town and was happy about Apple taking a building. Look it up on YouTube.

I’m sure Apple did their research as they always do.

Even if it’s a dead part of town, it won’t be anymore!!
    I’ve seen the videos on YouTube. Of course the city was happy. Of course Apple did their research. But, you didn’t answer the question, so why even respond?

regarding the first part of your post: I agree with you that it is big problem in our current society. However, you can hardly argue that the city isn’t facing a homeless crisis. Since you like to use YouTube to support your arguments, check out some of the many, many, many videos on there about the subject. Then try to justify why someone who is merely mentioning it is only giving their opinion instead of stating a documented fact. 
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 16 of 17
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Japhey said:
    There are enormous number of people working downtown. Many of them work after 5pm. There will be no shortage of customers. 
    JapheyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Japhey said:
    There are enormous number of people working downtown. Many of them work after 5pm. There will be no shortage of customers. 
    Thank you. You sound like you’re actually from there. For some reason, all the other responses were from people that aren’t. Even though the original post was clearly addressed to “L.A. people”.  Rather than rely on hearsay, I was merely trying to gain insight and knowledge on a subject about which I was curious. I should have known better on AI. 
    Anyway, many thanks.