Apple premieres trailer for new musical series 'Schmigadoon!'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
A new two-minute-long trailer gives viewers a sneak peek into Apple TV+'s new musical comedy, "Schmigadoon!"

Apple premieres trailer for new musical series 'Schmigadoon!'

Described as a parody of iconic musicals, the series follows a couple, played by Cecily Strong and Keegan-Michael Key, on a backpacking trip designed to reinvigorate their relationship.

On the trip, they discover a magical town in which everyone is living in a studio musical from the 1940s. Strong's and Key's characters then discover that they can't leave the town until they find "true love."

In addition to Strong and Key, the six-episode first season is also slated to feature Alan Cumming, Kristin Chenoweth, Aaron Tveit, Dove Cameron, Ariana DeBose, Fred Armisen, Jaime Camil, Jane Krakowski and Ann Harada.

"Schmigadoon!" will premiere exclusively on Apple TV+ on July 16.

It joins other Apple TV+ musical series "Central Park," a series that follows the adventures of a family who live and work in the eponymous urban park and end up saving the world.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    *squeeee!*
  • Reply 2 of 3
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I thought maybe AI would do some kind of story about the Mythic Quest book, “Tears of the Anaren” that was released on Apple Books. Or did I miss it somehow?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    What struck me was not that it was about falling into a musical.   But it was about falling into American culture from the 50's and early 60's -- which the musicals both reflected and propagated.

Like the musicals: the culture was happy, hopeful, optimistic and always assumed a happy ending (only the weak and the bad guys died).  But it was underpinned and built on a strong core of rules and expectations:   "This is how you dress", "This is how you act and behave", men were expected to be "men" and women were expected to be "women".   No deviation from those expectations was tolerated or even conceived..

It reminded me of a favorite movie:  "Pleasantville" where, after an aging Don Knots "fixes" their TV two teenage siblings fall through it into the black and white world of the 50's.  One scene that comes to mind is the girl walking down the steps complaining that she's "Wearing 10 pounds of underwear!".   But slowly, one by one, they transform the black and white characters by adding color.

It was a nice place to visit.  But I wouldn't want to live there.
    ... Oh wait!   I did!   Never mind.
    larryjw