External monitor for iMac 24" M1

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
I'd like an external monitor for my iMac 24" M1 - thinking of LG 32UL950-W in 32" display, or LG UltraFine 27MD5KLB-B 27" - using USB Type-C | Thunderbolt 3 Inputs. Considering waiting for release of LG UltraFine OLED Pro Monitor. My iMac is silver. Any recommendations appreciated.  I understand I can only use one external display with the iMac 24" M1.

Planning to purchase new MBP 14" to also use for revamp of home office, have OWC Thunderbolt 5 dock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,191administrator
    So, the main criteria are something that will connect to USB-C and more than one input for the future MacBook Pro purchase?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    So, the main criteria are something that will connect to USB-C and more than one input for the future MacBook Pro purchase?
    Yes - I have a Thunderbolt 4 OWC hub & if doable to add MBP would be great.  Would like a silver pedestal to match iMac 27" M1 stand - thanks Mike. Also would be nice having around ~500 nits and  capability of playing 4K HDR media. 
    edited June 27
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,191administrator
    wxchaser said:
    Yes - I have a Thunderbolt 4 OWC hub & if doable to add MBP would be great.  Would like a silver pedestal to match iMac 27" M1 stand - thanks Mike. Also would be nice having around ~500 nits and  capability of playing 4K HDR media. 
    You don't technically need USB-C on either, since you have the dock for the MBP. You can get anywhere from USB-C -- I slightly prefer DisplayPort because it has a locking connector. Since the future MBP will have the OWC hub, you don't need the monitor to supply power.

That said, the 32UL950-W is very, very nice.