AirTag battery is a choking hazard, Australian regulator warns parents



  • Reply 21 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,048member
    kkqd1337 said:
    So is their price 
    $99 for a box of four is expensive to you?  Get a better job, or try harder with your Apple-hate.

  • Reply 22 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I was always losing my car keys. Now that I’ve spent thirty quid so I can find them quickly, I always leave them where they’re supposed to be. 

  • Reply 23 of 26
    RadMax said:
    Any object that can be put in a mouth is a potential choking hazard.  Many foods (i.e. sliced hotdogs, grapes, etc.) are choking hazards.  Why focus on one product from Apple?
    Epic probably, maybe Spotify, probably had one of their political operatives get into someone’s ear. Whatever happened to parental responsibility?  We kept a vigilant eye on our daughter and never once did we have her at the ER because she put something small in her mouth to be a choking hazard. It can be done and you don’t need big daddy government intervening. 
  • Reply 24 of 26
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 493member
    mike1 said:
    OMG. Children can also be "fascinated" with calculators and a million other items that use CR2032 or similarly sized or even smaller batteries. How about all those Christmas ornaments that use tiny watch batteries?! Those are probably even more fascinating and cheaply made.

    And these also get a warning.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 426member
    I'm not going to comment specifically on Apple's AirTags mostly because "Apple says its AirTag range complies with Australian child safety standards". Maybe the child safety standards need updating .. who knows? It is worth reading to understand the fatal outcome of a really small child swallowing (often unnoticed) a button battery. Can a button battery be made safe so it passes thru a child's digestive tract intact? I would gladly pay 2-3 times the current price for a button battery if it could.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,952moderator
    dewme said:
    Put them in a case that looks like a Brussels sprout - problem solved.
    What manufacturers sometimes do is coat products with a very sour tasting substance so that pets and children will want to quickly spit it back out instead of swallowing it:

    The main thing is that someone is aware it has happened. If the battery had a sensor built-in to detect body fluids and a buzzer, it could make a warning noise that people would know their kids or pets have swallowed something that needs medical attention quickly.
Sign In or Register to comment.