New 'iPhone 13' mock-ups show same-size notch, diagonal camera orientation

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2021
A new series of dummy "iPhone 13" models have appeared showing a rearranged camera module -- but contrary to rumors, the notch is the same size.

One of the new series of dummy
One of the new series of dummy "iPhone 13" mockups

Following the recent leak of an image purporting to show four dummy mockups of the next iPhone, a separate new series of images appears to confirm details of a new camera placement.

The new images are from leaker DuanRui, who was recently asked to stop by Apple lawyers. DuanRui has previously been accurate about leaks, including ones regarding case colors.

These latest images appear to show the rear of both "iPhone 13" and the "iPhone 13 Pro." Most significantly, the "iPhone 13" shows that the camera module has been rearranged to position its two lenses diagonally.

Unlike the previous dummy leak, this set of images includes one that shows the front of one of the models. While not clear, it does not appear to match the smaller notch that was shown in a previous 3D-printed dummy.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I hope Apple is laying a trap for the leakers and those providing the info. If it were me I would be providing misinformation, fake schematics with minor differences in details like the notch size etc to figure out who is providing the information. I would then fire and prosecute them for corporate espionage and sue the leaker for releasing trade secrets. 

I would keep them in court for years. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sylveonsylveon Posts: 3member
    It’s preposterous that they change the camera layout without any legit reason, only to make existing cases unusable and make them sell more new cases.  Unbelievable. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 840member
    genovelle said:
    I hope Apple is laying a trap for the leakers and those providing the info. If it were me I would be providing misinformation, fake schematics with minor differences in details like the notch size etc to figure out who is providing the information. I would then fire and prosecute them for corporate espionage and sue the leaker for releasing trade secrets. 

I would keep them in court for years. 
    I understand the sentiments. I really enjoyed when Apple was able to surprise us, even if it was just the latest iteration of an existing product, and I can't even remember the last time that happened. Everything about a product is now leaked before it debuts, and the only "surprise" seems to be when an expected, leaked feature doesn't make it into the final product. (As it appears may now happen with the much-rumored "smaller notch.") Not exactly the kind of surprise you want. But containing leakers is a game of whack-a-mole, and I doubt Apple will be able to get this under control. 
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 4 of 8
    maclin3maclin3 Posts: 24member
    Serious leaks containing trade secrets are taken seriously by Apple. But all the minor stuff about features and cosmetics probably helps Apple. Continuous free buzz about next year‘s products that starts only days after the current year product release. Sometimes the buzz actually drowns out real news from other manufacturers. Besides what would sites like AI even publish if there weren’t minor leaks? Boring news about actual products? Snore. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    sylveon said:
    It’s preposterous that they change the camera layout without any legit reason, only to make existing cases unusable and make them sell more new cases.  Unbelievable. 
    Why would you want to put an old, used case from last years model on a brand new iPhone anyway?
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Japhey said:
    sylveon said:
    Why would you want to put an old, used case from last years model on a brand new iPhone anyway?

1. Because my cases are in a good shape to reuse them. 
    2.  Because it is way more sustainable to use anything longer. 
    3. And finally, because it is preposterous that they change the design design only. O. N. L. Y. to sell more cases. 

edited June 2021
  • Reply 7 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    sylveon said:
    Japhey said:
    sylveon said:

1. Because my cases are in a good shape to reuse them. 
    2.  Because it is way more sustainable to use anything longer. 
    3. And finally, because it is preposterous that they change the design design only. O. N. L. Y. to sell more cases. 

1. Valid reason. 
    2. It IS way more sustainable to use anything longer. Except, perhaps, for your actual iPhone?  Which hasn’t even aged long enough to cause your case to show wear and tear. 
    3. Doesn’t answer the question…only repeats the original statement. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sylveon said:
    It looks like the camera layout may change, but the little square bump maybe the same size, so your cases should work.

Apple does not change the design just to sell cases. The iPhone isn't an inkjet printer and the cases aren't ink cartridges.

muthuk_vanalingam