Nikon Z fc mirrorless camera announced with retro compact design & iPhone connectivity

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Nikon has announced new 20MP mirrorless DX shooter, the retro Nikon Z fc, with physical tactile controls, a compact build, and wireless iPhone connectivity.

Nikon Z fc in brown
Nikon Z fc in brown

A powerful new compact camera

The Nikon Z fc is modeled after vintage Nikon models with tactile controls, but also brings many modern touches. The camera's lightweight magnesium alloy frame also has weather-proofing for when caught in the elements.

Multiple limited edition colors of the Z fc
Multiple limited edition colors of the Z fc

Colors include black, gray, sand, brown, white, pink, and teal -- some of which are limited editions.

Physical tactile controls on the  Z fc
Physical tactile controls on the Z fc

There are physical controls for shutter speed, ISO, and exposure compensation in form of engraved aluminum dials. Around the back of the camera is a vari-angle display that can rotate around the side for easy viewing from the front.

The vari-angle display is also great for capturing ultra-low angle shots with ease
The vari-angle display is also great for capturing ultra-low angle shots with ease

The Nikon Z fc has a 20.9-megapixel CMOS sensor that is capable of capturing 4K UHD video. Slo-mo and Timelapse video modes are also available.

There is a 209-point hybrid autofocus system as well as continuous eye-detection AF for both humans and animals. It's all powered by the Nikon EXPEED 6 processor

ISO sensitivity ranges between 100 and 51,200, but can expand to a ISO 204,800 equivalent.

It is powered by an EN-EL25 battery which can receive power over USB-C while in the camera. The camera can be used while plugged into power which makes it useful for studio shots or live streaming using Nikon webcam utility software for Mac or PC.

Nikon Z fc connectivity

Along the left side are three ports including a mini-HDMI, a USB-C port, and a microphone input. Media is saved on a UHS-I SD, SDXC, or SDHC card.

SnapBridge support on the Nikon Z fc
SnapBridge support on the Nikon Z fc

The Z fc supports Nikon's SnapBridge application which can wirelessly and automatically import photos and videos from the camera to your iPhone over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.

Nikon's new Z lenses

To partner with the Z fc, Nikon has also announced availability of two new lenses, and debuted a third as well.

They've introduced a stylized version of its previously-announced 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3ens which a compact DX-format lens that is well-suited for ultra-wide selfies, landscapes, and portraits. It is the smallest Z lens to date and retails for $299.95.

Nikon Z fc
Nikon Z fc

There is also the 28mm f/2.8 ultra-compact lens, again perfect for portrait photography. It too matches the Z fc stylish and is available for $299.95.

While not available at launch, Nikon has announced the development of a powerful 7.8X tele zoom lens. The Z DX 18-140mm f/2.5-6.3 VR will be a great zoom lens for mirrorless cameras when ready.

Nikon Z fc Availability

The Nikon Z fc as well as the 28mm and 16-50mm lenses will be available in the US this July. The mirrorless camera will sell for just under $1000 by itself, though various bundles are available to preorder too from the following retailers: Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
     Nice. Looks like my Dad's Leica, ca. 1954.
    mr lizarddoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Damn they look nice. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 13
    USH-I? Why not USH-II?
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 4 of 13
    JBSloughJBSlough Posts: 92member
    I love the look of the camera. But DX? Seriously Nikon? 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 13
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Colors!  Nice.   Where’s the bondi blue version? 😏
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    USH-I? Why not USH-II?
    Did you notice the price of the camera?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 13
    JBSlough said:
    I love the look of the camera. But DX? Seriously Nikon? 
    Why not?  A 20-MP APS-C is more than enough for most casual shooters and who want a light and compact MILC camera kit, which is where this camera's market will come from. Anyone who understands the benefits of a FF, believes DX (APS-C) will limit them, or imagines they will see the difference in their own photos, already understands one costs more than the other.  Under $1000 is not it.
    edited June 2021 fastasleepbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 13
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Tactile controls are nice but why not a black body?
    And the big flip screen on the back does not fit the concept.

Real buttons and a viewfinder - no screen on the back is needed.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    h4y3sh4y3s Posts: 82member
    Does Canon make a comprable unit? I hear Canon glass is superior, anyone have experience?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    h4y3s said:
    Does Canon make a comprable unit? I hear Canon glass is superior, anyone have experience?
    You don't buy an entry-level camera just to purchase "superior glass" to use with it. The better lenses can typically exceed $1000 each and some can be several magnitudes more. Heck, I've dropped nearly $4K on just two lenses in the past 60 days, but the value of them would be wasted on a 20MP crop camera. Once you lessen your requirements there's not any consistent difference in the consumer-grade lens lineups. Kit lenses are almost always "just adequate" whether Canon, Nikon, Fuji (their quality is slipping), Sony etc. 

Personal advice: If you're thinking of a changeable lens camera forget a cheap mirrorless and instead look for a used two or three year old flagship DSLR which can be purchased for close to the same price as a new entry MILC. Bonus: The lenses for those can be substantially less expensive but just as good as their mirrorless-mount cousins.

Camera companies are just trying to survive and discontinuing very good to excellent DSLR's for new mirrorless cameras with new mounts needing new lenses is one way forward. 
    edited June 2021 patchythepiratebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    davgreg said:
    Tactile controls are nice but why not a black body?
    And the big flip screen on the back does not fit the concept.

Real buttons and a viewfinder - no screen on the back is needed.
    OK boomer. But really, you're clearly not the target audience for this product. You can get any number of black cameras without displays that'll suit you. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    gatorguy said:
    h4y3s said:
    You don't buy an entry-level camera just to purchase "superior glass" to use with it. The better lenses can typically exceed $1000 each and some can be several magnitudes more. Heck, I've dropped nearly $4K on just two lenses in the past 60 days, but the value of them would be wasted on a 20MP crop camera. Once you lessen your requirements there's not any consistent difference in the consumer-grade lens lineups. Kit lenses are almost always "just adequate" whether Canon, Nikon, Fuji (their quality is slipping), Sony etc. 

Personal advice: If you're thinking of a changeable lens camera forget a cheap mirrorless and instead look for a used two or three year old flagship DSLR which can be purchased for close to the same price as a new entry MILC. Bonus: The lenses for those can be substantially less expensive but just as good as their mirrorless-mount cousins.

Camera companies are just trying to survive and discontinuing very good to excellent DSLR's for new mirrorless cameras with new mounts needing new lenses is one way forward. 
    Another (more accurate) way to answer this is: a) Canon does make compact mirrorless APS-C cameras in this price range, but they're not cute retro models with old school tactile controls like this, and b) you can buy quality glass for any manufacturer's mount system.

I don't know why you're dismissing APS-C cameras as you can get very nice results out of them, and the benefits are a smaller body and (generally) smaller lenses. That, and you can absolutely get high quality glass for that format, hell my Zeiss prime lens was more $ than the body of my aging APS-C Sony NEX (that's about to get retired for something more adept at video).

There are plenty of great affordable mirrorless systems out there for people in this price range. Not everyone wants to lug around a massive DSLR; I'd never recommend one to anyone shopping for a camera "comparable" to this model, that's nuts.

patchythepirate
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    h4y3s said:

Another (more accurate) way to answer this is: a) Canon does make compact mirrorless APS-C cameras in this price range, but they're not cute retro models with old school tactile controls like this, and b) you can buy quality glass for any manufacturer's mount system.

I don't know why you're dismissing APS-C cameras as you can get very nice results out of them, and the benefits are a smaller body and (generally) smaller lenses. That, and you can absolutely get high quality glass for that format, hell my Zeiss prime lens was more $ than the body of my aging APS-C Sony NEX (that's about to get retired for something more adept at video).

There are plenty of great affordable mirrorless systems out there for people in this price range. Not everyone wants to lug around a massive DSLR; I'd never recommend one to anyone shopping for a camera "comparable" to this model, that's nuts.

Our opinions obviously differ, even if not on the portability and image quality provided by many APS-C cameras. I have two I use regularly, one of them almost always serving as a backup camera at an event, but neither one uses a relatively old 20MP processor with a extremely limited native lens lineup on a body lacking IBIS. For less than $500 more than the cute Nikon you could buy twice the camera in a DSLR brand new, a Canon EOS 5DSR, thru B&H. This kneecapped Nikon is not a good value at all IMHO.

FWIW once you drop a quality lens on a mirrorless body any significant size and weight differences with a DSLR may well have disappeared. Not all premium DSLR's are "massive", nor are small cameras necessarily desirable to begin with. it depends on what you want a camera for.
    If you wish to compare dimensions try this site: https://camerasize.com/

Those early MILC's were all about compact and light, trying to differentiate themselves from DSLR. That was really their only claim to fame at the time, they weren't very good, but they were "different". Not so much the newer flagships, which granted can come with features that make shooting as easy as using a cell-phone. So then why are the new premium mirrorless bodies larger as a rule? IMO at least in part because the ergonomics of a beefier body and weight for use with heavier premium glass is well-recognized by experienced photogs and especially those who count on a camera for income.

A Sony a7R IV may deliver a nice image with excellent autofocus performance, but I don't recall anyone ever bragging about how nice they feel in hand, how well they balance with a premium lens like a 70-200 2.8, how the menu is so wonderfully designed, or the amazing value and rendition from new expensive Sony mirrorless lenses compared to those "old DSLR lenses" from the past 20 years.

Anyway, we've probably reached a point where most members will have little idea what we're talking about and even fewer are interested, so I'll leave it at we have different opinions.
    edited June 2021