Satechi's new Mac mini hub gives you more storage options with an SSD enclosure

Posted:
in General Discussion
Give your Mac mini more storage and easy port access with Satechi's new Type C Stand & Hub, featuring an SSD enclosure.

The Type-C Stand & Hub for Mac mini with SSD enclosure is designed to expand the capabilities of your Mac mini. Its compact design fits neatly under your Mac mini and provides front access to your most used ports.

It also features an SSD enclosure, giving you a convenient place to add a little extra storage when needed. The SSD enclosure supports M.2 SATA solid state drives only and does not support NVMe.

The front ports include a USB-C data port, three USB-A data ports, a micro SD card reader, a standard SD card reader, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

The Type-C Stand & Hub for Mac mini with SSD enclosure is compatible with both the 2020 M1 Mac mini and the 2018 Mac mini and is available in brushed silver aluminum only. You can pick one up from Amazon, where they currently retail for $99

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That's a very nice design job, though it seems pretty big for what it offers.  I would've thought there'd be space for at least two drives in there.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    Nice concept, but due to the M1 only having 2 TB3 ports it’s a waste that this is not a TB3 unit with passthru. 😖
    michelb76FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    This should be a thunderbolt dock.  Shame they crippled it.  No sale for me.
    michelb76
  • Reply 4 of 8
    A number of the other "mac mini docks" that have internal storage have a bad habit of disconnecting the drive when the host computer goes to sleep, which tends to make macOS pretty unhappy. Would be interesting to know if this enclosure/dock has the same problem...
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 8
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Ordered one for the Mac Mini. Should be nice.
    OWC used to make something similar for Macs back in the day that could be bought with HDs inside.

• Reply 6 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Nice to see this form factor getting renewed attention.

Does anyone make a BluRay drive that would sit in-between the dock and the Mini?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    crowley said:
    That's a very nice design job, though it seems pretty big for what it offers.  I would've thought there'd be space for at least two drives in there.
    M2.SATA is OK I guess, but not for outright speed. And thunderbolt pass through would have been good too. But then I guess it would not be USD$99.

Nice design. Even the led lights line up. Which is what you are paying for of course as it isn’t many ports for that price.
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 8 of 8
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 620member
    M.2 SATA SSD only, no NVME support. Also no heatsink for the drive.