Apple will start mapping Austria for improved Apple Maps, 'Look Around'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple will soon begin collecting first-party data in Austria to expand the Apple Maps "Look Around" feature and to improve navigation.

Credit: Business Insider
Credit: Business Insider

According to German-language news outlet DerStandard, dozens of Apple vehicles will begin mapping the streets of Austria for the company starting on July 5. The initial rollout will focus on vehicular -- and not on-foot -- mapping, the publication added.

Apple maintains a list of regions and countries where its vehicles are collecting first-hand images for Apple Maps. As of Thursday, Austria has not been added to the list.

The Cupertino tech giant has been improving its Apple Maps experience in recent years.

For example, Apple rolled out an improved map experience in 2020 to all users in the U.S. Relying heavily on first-party navigation data, the new Apple Maps features much more accurate and faster directions, as well as more detailed information about local landmarks.

In iOS 13, Apple introduced a "Look Around" feature akin to Google's Street View. As of writing, the feature is available in 28 cities in the U.S., Japan, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It’s only starting now?

get serious or get off the pot.
    elijahg
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Still not live in the USA outside of a few cities and they are already moving on to Australia?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Most of the data collection according to https://maps.apple.com/imagecollection/locations/  seems to be this year. What have the Apple maps cars been doing for the previous 5 years then?

Google is so unbelievably far ahead in this I have no idea why Apple is wasting money on it. Google has surveyed my area 3 times since 2009, meanwhile Apple has surveyed an entire two cities in the UK in 2 years, despite the fact people have been seeing the Apple maps cars around for years. They're never going to catch up, and the rate at which they add data is glacial. What happened to Flyover? They've not added anywhere new in the UK for years. It's a joke. Which is a shame because - to use the widely used name, Apple's Street View is way better than Google's.

I've reported places closed or moved and the issue has been apparently "resolved", only for the same issue to continue to exist. Places that have closed or moved, places that have the wrong location on the map, wrong metadata, all reported, "resolved" and ignored. I don't bother anymore.
    edited July 2021 byronlentropys
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Still not live in the USA outside of a few cities and they are already moving on to Australia?
    They're mapping Austria.  It's kind of like Australia 'cept the kangaroos wear lederhosen.  :D

JanNLFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    For now, I’m sticking with Google maps.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Month ago in The Netherlands... with Spanish license plate.

byronl
  • Reply 7 of 15
    It seems the mapping of Australia was due to finish last month: https://maps.apple.com/imagecollection/locations/au
    whereas the mapping of Austria has just started this month and will continue until September: https://maps.apple.com/imagecollection/locations/at
    Rayz2016entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    TuuborTuubor Posts: 53member
    The whole of Finland on that list too! Starting this month here where I live. Nice!

Yes it seems this is the year Apple really maps the whole world. The reason Apple has taken so long to introduce Look Around and other improvements is most likely because they are doing it right. Testing and researching how to do it properly takes years. You need a system that is going to function and can be updated for years to come. I’m pretty sure Apple is designing the whole system to be as robust and of high quality as they can.
    byronl
  • Reply 9 of 15
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    they really need to ramp up map production. google maps delivers their updates to the whole world 20 times faster than apple. i’m from greece and i haven’t gotten the 2019 update, and i KNOW it’ll be a looooong time till i do
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 10 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Austria is about the size of Maine.  It's a lot easier to do some countries than it is to do the USA.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    8 years later, they may even get it. Some of it. If the US rollout has been an indicator…
  • Reply 12 of 15
    crowley said:
    Austria is about the size of Maine.  It's a lot easier to do some countries than it is to do the USA.
    I stand corrected - skimmed through the article a bit too quickly!  Yes you are right USA is a huge project and other places are lower hanging fruit.  

I guess my point remains though.  Seems like apple always announces new maps features then never implements them outside of major metroplexes even in its own home country.  At this point I don’t believe flyover is ever going to be implemented in my area.  The look around vans got started here about 2 yrs ago but still nothing.  
  • Reply 13 of 15
    crowley said:
    I stand corrected - skimmed through the article a bit too quickly!  Yes you are right USA is a huge project and other places are lower hanging fruit.  

I guess my point remains though.  Seems like apple always announces new maps features then never implements them outside of major metroplexes even in its own home country.  At this point I don’t believe flyover is ever going to be implemented in my area.  The look around vans got started here about 2 yrs ago but still nothing.  
    With all due respect to US cities, being able to virtual tour around Vienna is much more appealing :smile: 

Vienna has about the same population as Phoenix, which already has Look Around, as do several US cities even smaller than that, and Apple is going to focus their feature efforts in major population districts in countries where they have a major presence.  They may be an American company, but they're global in sales, so it doesn't make sense to be so US-focussed.

I'm a little surprised they've mapped so many Japanese cities, though I guess it makes sense given what I just said: https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#maps-look-around
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 14 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    They're mapping Austria.  It's kind of like Australia 'cept the kangaroos wear lederhosen.  :D

I will tell a funny story.
    An old Aussie friend of mine (tall, long haired surfing buddy one hell of a lot better looking than me) had obtained his doctorate in a particularly difficult science and moved to the USA to do a post doc at UC Berkeley. 

He was in a party one night and was helping in the kitchen. A couple of undergrad girls decided he was worth talking to:

Bimbo undergrad 1 ”Oh, I just luuuuve your accent! I could listen to it all da-ay”. Titter.

[mindless chit chat and it must be said, flirting, continues]

Bimbo undergrad 2 ”You speak English sooo well! How come?” Titter.

Post doc buddy “My family always spoke English at the dining table. We got quite good at it.”

Undergrads looked on, impressed.

edited July 2021 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 15
    entropys said:

I will tell a funny story.
    An old Aussie friend of mine (tall, long haired surfing buddy one hell of a lot better looking than me) had obtained his doctorate in a particularly difficult science and moved to the USA to do a post doc at UC Berkeley. 

He was in a party one night and was helping in the kitchen. A couple of undergrad girls decided he was worth talking to:

Bimbo undergrad 1 ”Oh, I just luuuuve your accent! I could listen to it all da-ay”. Titter.

[mindless chit chat and it must be said, flirting, continues]

Bimbo undergrad 2 ”You speak English sooo well! How come?” Titter.

Post doc buddy “My family always spoke English at the dining table. We got quite good at it.”

Undergrads looked on, impressed.
    An aunt of mine went on a paddle boat along the Mississippi on holiday a few years back.  She's London born and bred.  She got told more than once to speak English because the locals couldn't understand her accent  :D
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller