Parallels working to bring Windows 11 to Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    Parallels could add their own Intel emulation to their product. In pre Intel times there were solutions to run a (crawling) windows on Macs, too. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    rob53 said:
    Limited article. Parallels can’t do anything with Windows 11 until Microsoft releases an ARM version. Apple moving away from Intel so VMWare seems to not care about non-Intel related virtualization. Parallels is trying but can’t make Microsoft do anything. Running Unix/Linux under virtualization on an M-series Mac might not have enough customers to keep Parallels in business long term. 
    VMWare is totally onboard with getting ARM versions of Linux running on Fusion. They appear extremely happy with the performance that they are seeing with ARM versions of Linux running on M1. (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/vmware-offers-progress-update-fusion-for-m1)

From what can be read in the article above, and as you've implied, Microsoft has not officially licensed Windows ARM to run on any non-Microsoft platform. The lack of clarity around Microsoft's licensing terms is currently a non-starter for VMware. They aren't about to play games with Microsoft or demonstrate capability on an unreleased version of Windows that ends up being unsupportable.

It looks like Parallels is willing to roll the dice and hope that Microsoft officially sanctions and releases ARM versions of Windows on other platforms. VMWare is not willing to take the risk. This risky move by Parallels may end up giving them a head start or it may blow up in their face if Microsoft pulls the plug on what Parallels is doing. This kind of move makes sense if you consider the vastly different markets that Parallels and VMWare serve. Parallels is a one trick pony, but VMware has a massive investment in virtualization technology that spans across many different architectures. VMWare Fusion is a tiny slice of their overall portfolio. VMWare has a heck of a lot more to lose if Microsoft's lawyers show up at their doorstep.

edited July 2021
  • Reply 23 of 27
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:

If Microsoft eventually does license Windows 11 ARM I’m sure it will not satisfy many of those who want to run classic Windows apps. Would that not require Microsoft to produce a Rosetta 2 of its own?
    Already done: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/318245-microsoft-adds-64-bit-x86-emulation-to-windows-on-arm
    This is from June 28th

An interesting way to mix native and non-native code in an application:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdeveloper/2021/06/28/announcing-arm64ec-building-native-and-interoperable-apps-for-windows-11-on-arm/

Today, we’re announcing ARM64EC (“Emulation Compatible”), a new way to build apps for Windows 11 on ARM. With the latest Visual Studio tools in preview and the Windows 11 Insider SDK, you’ll be able to take advantage of ARM64EC to incrementally transition your app to running with native speed on ARM, even if you have dependencies or plugins that don’t support ARM yet.

• Reply 24 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    mr lizard said:
    dysamoria said:
    mr lizard said:
    rob53 said:
    Limited article. Parallels can’t do anything with Windows 11 until Microsoft releases an ARM version. Apple moving away from Intel so VMWare seems to not care about non-Intel related virtualization. Parallels is trying but can’t make Microsoft do anything. Running Unix/Linux under virtualization on an M-series Mac might not have enough customers to keep Parallels in business long term. 
    Um... Windows 10 has had an ARM version for a while now [...]
    Not available to end users, though, is what I keep reading here on this forum.
    Hence the part of my comment that you cut off in your quote: "The only question is one of licensing"
    My bad on shortening that quote; you’re right that it was relevant.

However, what I was trying to get at is that a version of the OS not being available to end users makes for a poor argument for something existing “for a while now” as argument that it will be available to us later.

Microsoft has had Windows on several architectures (in the past), and the only one available to end users has been Intel. Developer previews & whatnot have not resulted in any usability. Microsoft hasn’t been interested in it, for whatever reasons, and so they are virtually useless versions. Curiosities at best.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 27
    bfranksbfranks Posts: 22member
    I’m running windows 11 pro ARM it was an update available through the Insider Preview.  I updated a windows 10 VM to Windows 11 with parallels.  In the hardware option you can click add and include a TPM module.  The feature is available in the Parallels Pro Edition, not sure about the standard edition.  

It worked for me and I have windows 11 pro ARM running on my M1 MacBook Air with no noticeable slowdown. 

GeorgeBMactenthousandthings
  • Reply 26 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    sflocal said:
    rob53 said:
    I'm reading this as Parallels bringing x86 Windows 11 to the Mac, and not to the M1, or Windows 11 ARM.  

Even though Intel on the Mac is dead in terms of future products, there are still hundreds of millions of Intel Macs still out there for many years and people like me are more than prepared to get Windows 11 for our Intel Macs.  I use (and love) VMWare Fusion so I hope VMWare continues getting the necessary updates to support this.  I bought a 2020 iMac with the intent of it being my last Intel-based Mac and plan on having it be a VM-based Windows machine as well.  
    The 2020 Intel iMac 27" is still a premier option for those looking for a no-compromise workhorse VM host platform, especially with VMWare Fusion. If you can justify the purchase price coupled with the knowledge that it's only going to be a top tier machine for about 2-4 more years at best it is about the best known-entity option out there for riding Apple's Intel-to-Apple Silicon transition, especially if you need to run Mac VMs on the same host as your Linux and Windows VMs. 

I've used VMWare Workstation for over 20 years but greatly prefer VMWare Fusion to VMWare Workstation, not only because Fusion runs Mac VMs but also because the free (Player) version of Fusion includes snapshot support and the Fusion UI is cleaner and easier to work with in my opinion. 

There is no doubt that Apple is transitioning its entire Mac lineup over to Apple Silicon. The transition will not be a step function for all due to dependencies that Apple users have on applications that are still on the Intel platform and aren't amenable to emulation. Some of Apple's current products like the Intel iMac 27", Intel Mac mini, Intel MacBook Pro 16", and Mac Pro (if you have deep enough pockets) are all excellent machines to get you through this transition with as few compromises as possible. Also, in 2-4 years the current M1 is going to be seen as a run-of-the-mill commodity processor, at best, the 8088 of Apple Silicon, so the move to whatever Apple Silicon exists at that point will be a no brainer.

• Reply 27 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    bfranks said:
    I’m running windows 11 pro ARM it was an update available through the Insider Preview.  I updated a windows 10 VM to Windows 11 with parallels.  In the hardware option you can click add and include a TPM module.  The feature is available in the Parallels Pro Edition, not sure about the standard edition.  

It worked for me and I have windows 11 pro ARM running on my M1 MacBook Air with no noticeable slowdown. 

thanks
    tenthousandthings