Qualcomm thinks it can make a laptop chip better than Apple's M1

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    M1 was custom designed and made by Apple for its own hardware. Is Qualcomm planning a line of phones, tablets, and laptops? Kinda hard to compete when you’re making one size fits all chips. 
    No in house OS no can do…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 44
    It would seem that Microsoft’s own silicon chips are a much bigger threat to Qualcomm than Apple since they will be competing for hardware slots on non-MacOS systems. Furthermore, QCOM will be at a disadvantage since they do not control any OS, not Windows not Android not Linux.  This will be a tough market for Qualcomm to crack into since they are behind both AMD and Intel and will be fighting off a heavily financed MS and a slew of new ARM upstarts. 
    edited July 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 44
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    danox said:
    auxio said:
    red oak said:
    Qualcomm has been working with Microsoft for years already.   How is Windows ARM running current Qualcomm chips doing in the marketplace?    

Funny, because I have not seen any traction
    The fact that Windows 11 can run Android/ARM apps makes things a bit more interesting.  While Apple certainly has the lead, I'm sure they're paying attention to what's happening with Qualcomm, Microsoft, and Android.  Interesting times ahead for sure.

Two Monkey’s kissing a Football, remember Apple’s deal with IBM for Enterprise development, Microsoft and Google will hold each other at arms length.
    Oh I have no doubt that it'll be a three headed monstrosity.  But the PC world is used to it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 44
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    It would seem that Microsoft’s own silicon chips are a much bigger threat to Qualcomm than Apple since they will be competing for hardware slots on non-MacOS systems. Furthermore, QCOM will be at a disadvantage since they do not control any OS, not Windows not Android not Linux.  This will be a tough market for Qualcomm to crack into since they are behind both AMD and Intel and will be fighting off a heavily financed MS and a slew of new ARM upstarts. 
    In hindsight, I think MS would have been a better choice to acquire Nuvia.  Even though Nuvia's initial reason for being was to make custom ARM server SoC's, which would have potentially been a great fit for MS' custom Azure cloud servers, there would be nothing stopping MS from using Nuvia's tech to create custom SoC's for their Surface products.  This would have given MS' a way to differentiate itself by having a tightly integrated hardware / OS stack not only for the client side but also their Azure cloud servers. 
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra