Foxconn, Pegatron to share 'iPhone 13 mini' orders in 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple suppliers Foxconn and Pegatron will share orders for the Cupertino tech giant's "iPhone 13" mini later in 2021, according to a new report citing supply chain sources.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

According to sources cited by DigiTimes on Tuesday, Pegatron has won orders for Apple's upcoming 5.4-inch iPhone refresh. It will also handle a "portion of orders" for another 6.1-inch iPhone 13 model.

Reportedly, orders for the smaller iPhone are vastly reduced compared to prior years because of lower-than-expected sales of the iPhone 12 mini

Although Pegatron will handle production of other iPhone models this year, Foxconn will remain the primary assembler of "iPhone 13" models. DigiTimes also reports that Luxshare will become an iPhone production partner in 2021.

The report of Pegatron taking iPhone production orders comes months after Apple suspended its partnership with the Taiwanese firm over alleged labor violations. Apple put Pegatron on probation as a result.

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the "iPhone 13 Pro" models will feature "impressive" updates like a new ultrawide camera lens and wider use of optical image stabilization. However, the so-called "iPhone 13 mini" is rumored to be Apple's last 5.4-inch model as it moves to larger handsets in 2022.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Does AI plan on a story about Paul Pelosi making a $6 MILLION bet on Tech options ahead of House decision on antitrust measures? AFTER the speaker told Cook to just let things play out? Seems relevant on this site, I think. 

I would provide a link to the story…but it would immediately anger half the people here, make the story all about politics, then get the thread deleted. 
    edited July 2021 kestral
  • Reply 2 of 6
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Japhey said:
    Does AI plan on a story about Paul Pelosi making a $6 MILLION bet on Tech options ahead of House decision on antitrust measures? AFTER the speaker told Cook to just let things play out? Seems relevant on this site, I think. 

I would provide a link to the story…but it would immediately anger half the people here, make the story all about politics, then get the thread deleted. 
    That’s why they are millionaires and we are not…..hahaha
  • Reply 3 of 6
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Love my 12 mini, but I don't think I need to replace it for a while.

In fact, they really don't need to come out with a new "mini" every year.  But once every 2-3 years would be great!
    People that are drawn to the mini, can probably get by fine with 2 lenses and a few less camera and video monitoring oriented features for now.
    If you're really into a camera that makes calls and is where you want to watch movies, well...there's the Pro.

Personally, I think the release of the last SE really killed a lot of mini sales.  Especially how the SE was marketed and reported on.
    I read an article not too far back that compared the newer SE with the 12 mini.  "Which is the small phone for you?"
    Bad comparison.   One is an inexpensive, medium sized, limited phone.  The other is a small, full featured phone.

Also, that new 'camera bump' looks rather significant.
    pulseimagesmuthuk_vanalingamentropys
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I want to sell my iPhone 12 Pro and get an iPhone 13 Mini. Finding the Pro too big. 

edited July 2021 pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 603member
    I don’t understand the proliferation of big phones. Phones grow bigger but human hands do not.
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    My 12 mini is truly a great phone.