Apple expressed interest in buying Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine media company

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2021
Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine media production company is reportedly mulling a sale after Apple and other big industry names expressed interest in an acquisition.

Reese Witherspoon
Source: AdWeek

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reports Hello Sunshine is working with investment bankers to explore a potential sale that could see the company valued at as much as $1 billion. Whether Hello Sunshine will find a suitable bidder is unknown, and it is unclear if Apple is still pursuing a deal.

Witherspoon's media company is responsible for hit shows like HBO's "Big Little Lies," Hulu's "Little Fires Everywhere," and a number of current and upcoming Apple TV+ originals including "The Morning Show," "Truth Be Told," My Kind of Country," "Surface," and "The Last Thing He Told Me." Amazon and Netflix also field shows produced by the venture.

While details were left unreported, Apple's interest in Hello Sunshine likely stemmed from the company's prominence in its production schedule.

Several major streaming services are looking for a leg up in what has become a highly competitive sector. Netflix is the clear leader with an enviable slate of exclusives and a steady stream of originals, but upstart services from Disney, HBO and NBC boast massive back catalogs and are narrowing the gap. With customers now seeking fresh content, industry players are keen on securing reliable hit-makers to leapfrog challengers, and are willing to pay large sums for the opportunity. For example, Amazon in May inked a $8.45 billion deal to buy MGM.

Witherspoon shares ownership of Hello Sunshine with Seth Rodsky and her husband Jim Toth. The company's management team, AT&T, and Laurene Powell Jobs' Emerson Collective have equity in the firm.

Along with television series, Witherspoon's brainchild runs a bookclub and is growing a fledgling podcasting network.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    A waste of money all companies of that type are facades, the only people worth buying in media, are very good writer’s of original stories, ie Richard Matheson (Duel, I am Legend), or Robert Bloch (Psycho), when both were alive, very good writing is out there everywhere but not in Hollywood circles. In many of the book anthologies across several genres released every year outside the Hollywood beltway there many talented writers.

• Reply 2 of 4
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This article introduced me to several new shows for Apple TV+ that I somehow missed, or just plain forgot. Some of the comments for the link to “My Kind of Country” are pretty funny in how they seem to predict Apple collaborating with Dolly Parton months before “Time to Walk” was even announced. Well done Rayz2016 & SpamSandwich!
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    The price tag is one billion dollars, Apple buy Dark Horse instead or better yet just get out of the distraction of content Hollywood….
  • Reply 4 of 4
    danox said:
    The price tag is one billion dollars, Apple buy Dark Horse instead or better yet just get out of the distraction of content Hollywood….
    Did you just not read the article?