iBook battery 56 % charge drops to 0 %

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
While using the iBook on battery and surfing with airport, all seemed to work normal untill 56% yesterday. Suddenly the ibook went to forced sleep, without notifying me first. Nothing woke it up, except the power.. and plugged to it, to my surprise I saw it showed 0 % of charge!! How can 56 % drop suddenly to 0 % ??? And after less than 1,5 hours of use?? The battery is not old, it has to last 4-5 hours, not 1.

It happened again today. Surfing using the battery, once the battery charge was in 56% it went to sleep, and ASAP plugged to the power, it showed again 0 % !!!

Any suggestions? Could it be the 10.2.4 battery killing effect? Is this happening to anyone else? I did a clean install of 10.2 about 10 days ago and would have wanted to go only to 10.2.3 but there were no separate installs on Apple's site so I had to go to 10.2.4 ... a battery issue or system? I don't believe my battery to be faulty. And I remember having seen the battery to e.g. 20 % or under -after this last clean install- that so why is this happenening suddenly? Anyone else has the same issue?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    i'm having similar difficulties with 10.2.4 and a pbg4.

i think it's the software. 30% or more to INSTANT OFF no warning no nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, 10.2.4 ****ed up a pile of stuff on laptops, including battery life. i know you're overseas so this might not be possible, but people have been getting new batteries from Apple Stores regarding this problem. not sure if going back to 10.2.3 fixes the issue or not.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Alcimedes I am not overseas. I am within 15 miles of 3 Apple stores.

I found THIS - scary - there are people who get 100 to 0 % in 14 minutes!
  • Reply 4 of 50
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    That was like my battery, though it wasn't a 10.2.4 issue... mine went from somewhere around 91% to instant sleep when I had the 700 iBook several months ago... it's a battery issue, call Apple and have them swap a new battery for yours. Haven't had any issues yet with my current 800 iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    I tried X-charge to see the battery behaviour. This is how it shows the battery charge. So in 42 % the battery suddenly "charges" to 100 %. The 'book was not in sleep mode after these 42 % ... So if 42 % "are" 100 % I understand why the 56 % are 0 % ...

• Reply 6 of 50
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
  • Reply 7 of 50
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Yup, my late 02 iBook drops from 90% and immediately to 0% in 30 minutes. Apple support says to go to the Apple store. Grrr.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    .. and the 60 % charge graphic ...

Full charge:

• Reply 9 of 50
    brainfreeze... ignore.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    woah thats a cool app...

did you talk to apple yet?

did you reset the power manager?

FSCK?

repair permissions?

you are running 10.2.4 right?

your links to Mac OS X don't work...

what forum is it in and maybe I can navigate to it...

you are Giaguara, right?
  • Reply 11 of 50
    cool little app. i'm going to download it and see if my battery is crap.

• Reply 12 of 50
    Well yea. I didn't realise Scott has set the permissions that you have to be registered and logged in to see the stuff in macosx.com .. well yea, that's me anyway.

The battery keeps doing that, 56-60 % goes to forced sleep, then at 40+ % tells it's 100 % I'll go to Oakbrook or those other Apple stores that are close to here still this week... meanwhile, I keep the charge monitor app running. Now it looks like this = systematic bahaviour.

Paul, the thing is in here in those attachments.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    so is it accurate that you're only getting 45 min. of battery life off your laptop?

man, that's terrible.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Hey, how about feeling sorry for those of us who are getting only 30 minutes on a 9-month old iBook!
  • Reply 15 of 50
    I'll have the baby to have looked and/or fixed today, I'll bring it to an Apple store.. I can't wait to be able again to enjoy my sweet little white cutie with its 12" and airport playing deimos rising in bed again for 5 hours...
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Woah. Cool app. I'm running it now. I have gotten 3 hours max out of my battery. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what happens.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    yeah, i'm pushing just over 2 hours with it on highest proc. speed, full brightness. i know i used to get at least an hour more than that.

10.2.4 pretty much sucks. :P
  • Reply 18 of 50
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    MacOSRumors are reporting that 10.2.5 may well be out in the next week or so, and I wouldn't mind betting that this battery life issue is going to be addressed.

Oh, and we may even get a 10.2.6 before Panther!
  • Reply 19 of 50
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    We'd better--this battery performance bites the big one!
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Okay. As the problem is occurring since the 10.2.4 *COMBO* update - read: I installed the 10.2 cleanly about 2 weeks ago, then installed back all unix softwares (mutt, links, sendmail fix, bluefish etc etc ) - well, *compiled them* back from 0, and then installed 10.2.4 combo update - I didn't see the separate 10.2.3 combo ... it's happening since that update .. the most killer battery people have been having the thing since the .4 separate install... a genius in ******* Apple store suggested to intall the OS again and go to 10.2.3 and see if that fixes it. Guess what? Not going to enjoy that alternative. So ... Survive with the lousy battery untill 10.2.5 update - hoping it would fix it - or install now e.g. 6L11 build to see if that could fix it (or screw it all forcing me to install the OS X again ... and as I hate the archive and install, install if from 0 and compiling all the Unix stuff from 0 again ...) ...