Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is a right to repair advocate

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2021
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has spoken out in support of the right to repair movement, saying an open source mindset helped lay the foundation for what has become the world's most valuable tech company.

Wozniak

Wozniak discussed his thoughts on the matter in response to a request on Cameo, an app that lets users buy personalized videos from celebrities. The question was posed by right to repair advocate Louis Rossman, who runs the non-profit Repair Preservation Group Action Fund.

In a nearly 10-minute video subsequently posted to YouTube, Wozniak said he reads reports on the issue, but until now has been too busy to get involved.

"I'm always totally supportive and I totally think the people behind it are doing the right thing," he said of the movement. "We wouldn't have had an Apple had I not grown up in a very open technology world -- an open electronics world."

He goes on to list his bonafides as a seasoned electrical engineer and begins to ramble about the frontier days of consumer electronics. There is a notable aside on vacuum tubes, which could be popped out of a radio or television and taken to local supermarket for testing and replacement. That process is a far cry from today's repair procedures.

One might argue that modern electronics are too advanced, the architecture too sophisticated -- and if you ask companies like Apple, dangerous -- for consumers to fix. Wozniak suggests that might not be the case in some circumstances.

"If you know what you're doing, and you're doing certain steps that others have solved and found worked pretty well, you could repair a lot of things at low cost," he says. "So why stop them? Why stop the right to repair people?"

Wozniak goes so far as to loosely compare the issue with Ma Bell (Bell Telephone Company) and the monopoly it imposed on the telecommunications industry.

The Apple co-founder notes the Apple II, the computer that sustained Apple for roughly a decade, shipped with full schematics, designs, software, and code listings. It was to some extent an open source platform that propelled Apple to greatness, though Wozniak is seemingly conflating right to repair with the ability to conduct aftermarket modifications on owned equipment.

The discussion slowly meandered back to repair rights, with Wozniak saying in no uncertain terms that he believes "that companies inhibit it because it gives the companies power, control over everything."

"And I guess in a lot of people's minds, power over others equates to money and profits," he said. "Hey, is it your computer or is it some company's computer? Think about that. It's time to start doing the right things."

Apple, for its part, has vigorously fought right to repair initiatives in the U.S. and abroad, lobbying against bills that would expand consumer repair options beyond first-party services and company-authorized facilities. The tech giant argues that in-house repairs ensure a consistent user experience and protect consumers from potential harm.

Save for New York, the company has been largely successful in squashing states' right to repair laws, but that could change in the near future. It was reported this week that President Joe Biden is expected to ask the Federal Trade Commission to draft new rules that give consumers more leeway to repair products at independent shops or on their own.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Because of “freedom” we will have:
    - Smartphone without basic apps, and we will forced to download third party apps

- Devs desperate for all pirated and modded softwares thanks to sideloading.. for freeeeedom, Android style!

- terrible repairs with third party low quality parts, more bulky phone since manufacture will need to make things to replace easier without paying a certified shop. Sure user will blame Apple for iPhone without water resistance after a repair, for audio working badly, ghost touch on tablets and go on.. but we will really free and we would saved 10 dollars on repair!

genovelleWgkruegerGeorgeBMacBeatskurai_kagebaconstangjony0
  • Reply 2 of 56
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    He just pops up once or twice a year now so that everybody remembers he’s still alive. See you around the holidays, Woz. 
    Beatsmwhitedoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 3 of 56
    pwrmacpwrmac Posts: 56member
    There he is again... Just popping up so now an then to give his opinion.. Just to remember people he also worked at the foundation of Apple. Electronics equipment in the seventies not really comparable with 21 century ones. But right to repair yes. But who will be blamed or get bad reputation if not done properly by a repair shop in some garage Woz.... Yes Apple!
    ikirmwhitejony0
  • Reply 4 of 56
    mariowincomariowinco Posts: 112member
    Cannot understand why some consumers are against repair/upgradability. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1byronl
  • Reply 5 of 56
    They are not consumers first, they are shareholders FIRST. The fact that they use Apple's products is secondary to them. Their main concern is - Apple's profits and brand image which drive the value of Apple's shares (which is very dear to them), with customer's interests being the last priority (if at all it is a priority). You will NEVER see a nuanced debate on this topic - trying to obtain a balance which serves the interests of the customers as well as Apple in this forum.
    edited July 2021 doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 56
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    In principle, I am for the right to repair.  I do my own repairs, when feasible, and don't like the "disposable junk" nature of a lot of goods sold today.

However, as a practical matter, I understand the difference between repairing my car, an appliance, or simpler electronics, versus my iPhone or iPad.

I can understand Apple's position in discouraging non-qualified personnel, or tinkerers from messing around with their products, because it can result in poor results, and ultimately reflect badly on the company.  OTOH, Apple's tight control of parts and service information may be too restrictive, so something to expand the pool of AASPs can be a good thing.

Ultimately, I'm afraid that a lot of the nuance will be lost by the regulators who have been directed to draft new the new rules, and the cacophony generated by a minority of dogmatic repair advocates might ultimately result only in little, if any benefit to users, as well as failing to placate the advocates, and nothing will really change.

The independent shops might be able to get access to Apple's service tools and parts, but they, as well as their customers, should be prepared for the costs, as Apple won't be obligated to make them available as a cost that provides any advantage over just going directly to Apple.

Sounds great, but the devil will be in the details.

As for Woz, his place in Apple history is assured, but cobbling together parts to build an Apple ][ in the 70s is quite different than building an iPhone today, in many, many respects.  Nobody is going to simply replace a tube in their iPad to get it working again.  It has a small logic board with tiny, surface mounted (custom) integrated circuits and other components that Apple doesn't even bother to perform board-level repairs on itself.

He may be the lovable co-founder/crazy old uncle who can tell you amusing stories from his heydays, but can he speak with authority about today's technology, or business, especially given his noted lack of acumen in regard to the latter?  One great hit in his repertoire, but just one hit nonetheless.
    ikirWgkruegermike1kurai_kagestompydoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 7 of 56
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member
    They are not consumers first, they are shareholders FIRST. The fact that they use Apple's products is secondary to them. Their main concern is - Apple's profits and brand image which drive the value of Apple's shares (which is very dear to them), with customer's interests being the last priority (if at all it is a priority). You will NEVER see a nuanced debate on this topic - trying to obtain a balance which serves the interests of the customers as well as Apple in this forum.
    I do not own any Apple shares but I’m with not forcing Apple to have to make their devices repairable because it will reduce their quality, reliability, etc.

If you can’t see the improvements brought by soldered parts instead of socketed then you don’t know a damn thing about engineering. 

Buy AppleCare FFS and make repairing anything that goes wrong with it Apple’s problem. AppleCare is  now indefinite not just restricted to three years. 

The company that makes the products should be the ones who decide the repair (and Store and whatever else) rules. If you don’t like the rules buy another product instead. Don’t force me to lose my choice to have more robust products that can’t be pulled apart by end users. Let the market decide. Not bloody litigation. 

PS. I really like Woz and have a lot of respect for him, but obviously I disagree with him on this topic. 
    edited July 2021 Japheyikirkurai_kagebaconstangmwhitedoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 8 of 56
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Detnator said:
    I do not own any Apple shares but I’m with not forcing Apple to have to make their devices repairable because it will reduce their quality, reliability, etc.

If you can’t see the improvements brought by soldered parts instead of socketed then you don’t know a damn thing about engineering. 

Buy AppleCare FFS and make repairing anything that goes wrong with it Apple’s problem. AppleCare is  now indefinite not just restricted to three years. 

The company that makes the products should be the ones who decide the repair (and Store and whatever else) rules. If you don’t like the rules buy another product instead. Don’t force me to lose my choice to have more robust products that can’t be pulled apart by end users. Let the market decide. Not bloody litigation. 

PS. I really like Woz and have a lot of respect for him, but obviously I disagree with him on this topic. 
    If you don’t like the rules buy another product instead.

Sorry, it just needed to be repeated. 
    KTRdoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 9 of 56
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Detnator said:

There is also a risk and liability insurance that goes with handling batteries etc. Have a toddler’s IPad explode on them after a shoddy repair and who will be sued?
    KTRikirkurai_kagedoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 10 of 56
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    It’s only right that Apple can terminate your warranty if you tinker with your electronic device. My old ass Commodore-64 had a little sticker on top of an access screw that read Warranty Void If Broken. 
    There are proprietary equipment that Apple has and the “Right to repair“ wants Apple to sell those equipment so they can repair and not void the warranty, which is a tall order since Apple has to provide warranty to those products as well. 
    mike1kurai_kagebaconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 56
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    Too many stupid people out there 
    ikirbaconstangmwhitedoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 12 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    It's all down to making sure anyone that is permitted to repair an Apple product that is under warranty is qualified and authorized by Apple.  Surely that is in everyone's best interests?
    baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 56
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    Wow!  That was a great video.  Kudos, Woz!
  • Reply 14 of 56
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    As he should!
  • Reply 15 of 56
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    tedz98 said:
    Amazing all the Woz bashing by the fan boys. “Crazy old uncle” and “one hit in his repertoire” and questioning his technical acumen used to describe him. These fan boys never questioned a single statement by Steve Jobs. Such idiotic and uninformed comments by people who don’t possess a fraction of Woz’ knowledge. But such is the world today. People with strong yet uninformed opinions about everything. Apple and John Deere and others should make available spare parts and repair documentation. Consumers can decide if they want to risk repairs by non-factory trained resources. If I owned a $500,000 John Deere combine I might choose the safety of using the dealer for repair, but I should have the choice. A bad repair at harvest time could be devastating. A bad repair of an iPhone would be less impactful, but potentially substantial to an individual, but a risk people should be allowed to take. Over time with advances in SOC architecture there might be just a handful of parts that could be replaced (screen, battery, SOC, case, camera). So repair might be a more feasible option by others. If Apple controls the parts supply then the consumer will just have the risk of the quality of the repair labor.
    People with strong yet uninformed opinions” seems to cover your comment as well by creating an us vs them with your use of “fan boys”. You mention components that you consider as part of the repairable nature of the device but you’re not taking into consideration the consequences of the creation of the rules for repair that are being made by non-technical rule makers. 

Also, Woz is a hippie.
    stompy
  • Reply 16 of 56
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    ikir said:
    Because of “freedom” we will have:
    - Smartphone without basic apps, and we will forced to download third party apps

- Devs desperate for all pirated and modded softwares thanks to sideloading.. for freeeeedom, Android style!

- terrible repairs with third party low quality parts, more bulky phone since manufacture will need to make things to replace easier without paying a certified shop. Sure user will blame Apple for iPhone without water resistance after a repair, for audio working badly, ghost touch on tablets and go on.. but we will really free and we would saved 10 dollars on repair!

Nobody forces you to use worse repair shop. Can you use brain? The only thing that this may trigger is better competition. Stop propagating idea of monopoly. It is as bad as it gets and it proves you cannot think on your own.
    muthuk_vanalingamyuck9
  • Reply 17 of 56
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    It’s only right that Apple can terminate your warranty if you tinker with your electronic device. My old ass Commodore-64 had a little sticker on top of an access screw that read Warranty Void If Broken. 
    There are proprietary equipment that Apple has and the “Right to repair“ wants Apple to sell those equipment so they can repair and not void the warranty, which is a tall order since Apple has to provide warranty to those products as well. 

Nobody cares about Apple warranty. I used it once maybe, but it was 15 years ago when support was far better than these days. I fixed all my Apple devices including batteries and upgrades on my own. I would think that this service could be provided by 3rd party professionals as well. What Apple is trying to do however is create hardware subscription business model that you permanently linked to their hardware including no ability to upgrade or repair. Yes it is hardware company and has always been one, but this concepts a bit too far. It is not about ecosystem anymore. I felt this way when calling support some years ago when they were shocked that I cannot use what Apple calls 2 Factor Authentication (wrongly twisting it instead of using mainstream standards like RSA code generators) and I do not have iPhone, but only Android so it will not work as they prescribe with some applications of their own. That was indicator to leave Apple altogether. In fact, I am typing this form something called MintBook Air - former MacBook Air converted to Linux Mint. Works perfectly fine... and I prefer to use Google authenticator or other RSA code generator with Amazon Web Services and other services than their locked app to their iOS hardware.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

What Woz said was perfectly correct and true.   But it wasn't ALL of the truth.
    For instance, the part Woz left out about AT&T was that their network at that time was completely open and unauthorized equipment could take the whole network down.   Conversely, when I went to work for an IT outsourcer, our president said he wanted our computers to have the same reliability as AT&T (the gold standard in reliability).   As he expressed it:  "When you pick up the phone you expect to hear a dial tone -- always, without fail.  I want the same reliability when the user presses the 'enter' key."

Also, back in the period Woz is speaking of, products were not only more basic, but they broke and failed far more often:  the vacuum tubes he spoke of failed like light bulbs and had to be replaced.

Today, products like the iPhone designed for high portability use integrated systems that are typically not repairable.   Plus, when you let random people inside, like the AT&T network, you open the door for bad things to happen -- and that can damage Apple's reputation for quality, reliability, privacy and security.

In short, there are two sides to that story.   We need to look at BOTH sides.
    baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 56
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Does "right to repair" imply that the software can be modified in any way? I.e., is this just a back door attempt to install third party software stores?

• Reply 20 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Does "right to repair" imply that the software can be modified in any way? I.e., is this just a back door attempt to install third party software stores?

No
    MplsP