Outage of iCloud Mail stops some users from getting their messages

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2021
A number of users are experiencing issues when using iCloud Mail, with some customers unable to log in to their mail account via the Mail app or third-party apps.

Starting from 9:09AM eastern time on Monday, Apple's System Status page advises of an "issue" with iCloud Mail. According to the notification, the issue is ongoing and "some users are unaffected."

The nature of the problem isn't disclosed, other than "Users may be unable to access iCloud mail." It also appears to be a problem limited just to iCloud Mail, with other iCloud online services appearing to be working with no reported faults.

My iCloud mail access is down across all my devices. However I could log onto iCloud and use Apple Mail.

-- jromer (@jromer)

Posts on Twitter show a number of users are complaining about a lack of access to iCloud Mail. While there are some reports of users not being able to access their entire iCloud account, it seems to be a comparatively small number comparatively to the main reported issue.

Outages of online services are common, and have happened before for Apple's iCloud products. For mail-related outages specifically, a similar outage to the current issue took place in April, as well as sporadic global issues in May.

AppleInsider will update this story when the outage is resolved or updates are provided by Apple.

Update 2:25 p.m. Eastern Time: Apple has resolved the iCloud outage, according to its system status page.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    *raises hand*

Affected.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Dead_PoolDead_Pool Posts: 122member
    Tim tripped over the Performa power cord again. It will be back online as soon as it reboots.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    Dead_Pool said:
    Tim tripped over the Performa power cord again. It will be back online as soon as it reboots.
    Eh, they may need to boot into Conflict Catcher first, find out which extension caused the crash. So give it an extra half hour.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    neoncat said:
    Dead_Pool said:
    Eh, they may need to boot into Conflict Catcher first, find out which extension caused the crash. So give it an extra half hour.
    Oh the good old days of OS 9 when a third party ‘extension’ could brick your entire system. Then you had figure out which one it was, then experiment with its load order to see if things started working again. The kids using macOS these days have no idea.
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 5 of 5
    My wife can’t send email using her .Mac address but she’s receiving it.
    lkrupp said:
    neoncat said:
    Dead_Pool said:
    Oh the good old days of OS 9 when a third party ‘extension’ could brick your entire system. Then you had figure out which one it was, then experiment with its load order to see if things started working again. The kids using macOS these days have no idea.
    Man, I used to really like watching all the extension icons appear during start up. I remember friends of mine having “contests” to see who had more extension icons, ha ha!

Edit: speaking of old Mac OSes…I was cleaning out my garage a few weeks ago and found this…

edited July 2021