Apple releases MagSafe Battery Pack for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Appleish said:
    Oh, yeah. I'm going to buy an Apple iPhone accessory this close to a new iPhone release. 

That's like buying their flagship AirPods Max, then less than six months later, them releasing their flagship lossless audio that doesn't work with them.
    I’d wager that mag safe will be in the iPhone product line for the foreseeable future and that this will likely work with several generations of iPhones. But totally guessing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 55
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    As inelegant as this is, it's still far nicer than the previous generation so-called "smart battery case (SBC)." If you need the extra battery capacity, you can slap on one of these magnahumpergizers and go to town. If you don't need the extra capacity and don't want to have to cinch up your belt up a couple of notches to keep the combined weight from auto-dropping your trousers on you, just leave the thing at home. You don't have to swap out the entire case like the SBC.

If you've ever owned a SBC for a jumbo phone and if you keep your phone in your pants pocket, you will most definitely be adding Jony to your Christmas card list for keeping the base configuration iPhones as light and slim as possible. Adding a big hunkwad of additional heft and girth to your iPhone by slapping on a SBC or a magnahumpergizer is a nice choice that people who really need that kind of added runtime should be happily making on their own. If Apple built all of that heft & girth into the base phone, at least with current battery technology, the appeal of jumbo phones would take a big hit. Hopefully the battery technology will evolve to keep Apple from inflicting that kind of suffering on the masses.

This thing is so much better than the SBC.

Speaking of the SBC ... I have one for my Xs Max, but for some reason, mine ain't so smart. In fact, it is rather stupid. Big and stupid. This model got recalled and replaced but the replacement was no smarter than the recalled one. It would not infrequently try to discharge my phone, especially when recharging wirelessly. My understanding was that the SBC would discharge its own battery to keep the phone's battery charged. If I put the SBC and phone on a wireless charger with the SBC at 50% and the phone at 100% I'd expect to come back later and see both batteries at 100%. This was not always the case. Often I'd come back, hours later and the case would be at 60% and the phone would be at 30%. Not sure why. I thought the recall would fix it but it did not. What dealt the SBC its golden ticket to the junk drawer was when I discovered the SBC was interfering with the magnetometer and keeping the compass from working. If I really need a massive amount of run time, I can always strap the SBC back on and charge it up.

Hopefully, Apple learned from the SBC mistakes and the new magnetic humpy energizer thing will be a pure delight.
    edited July 2021 StrangeDaysfastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 55
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dewme said:
    As inelegant as this is, it's still far nicer than the previous generation so-called "smart battery case (SBC)." If you need the extra battery capacity, you can slap on one of these magnahumpergizers and go to town. If you don't need the extra capacity and don't want to have to cinch up your belt up a couple of notches to keep the combined weight from auto-dropping your trousers on you, just leave the thing at home. You don't have to swap out the entire case like the SBC.

If you've ever owned a SBC for a jumbo phone and if you keep your phone in your pants pocket, you will most definitely be adding Jony to your Christmas card list for keeping the base configuration iPhones as light and slim as possible. Adding a big hunkwad of additional heft and girth to your iPhone by slapping on a SBC or a magnahumpergizer is a nice choice that people who really need that kind of added runtime should be happily making on their own. If Apple built all of that heft & girth into the base phone, at least with current battery technology, the appeal of jumbo phones would take a big hit. Hopefully the battery technology will evolve to keep Apple from inflicting that kind of suffering on the masses.

Speaking of the SBC ... I have one for my Xs Max, but for some reason, mine ain't so smart. In fact, it is rather stupid. Big and stupid. This model got recalled and replaced but the replacement was no smarter than the recalled one. It would not infrequently try to discharge my phone, especially when recharging wirelessly. My understanding was that the SBC would discharge its own battery to keep the phone's battery charged. If I put the SBC and phone on a wireless charger with the SBC at 50% and the phone at 100% I'd expect to come back later and see both batteries at 100%. This was not always the case. Often I'd come back, hours later and the case would be at 60% and the phone would be at 30%. Not sure why. I thought the recall would fix it but it did not. What dealt the SBC its golden ticket to the junk drawer was when I discovered the SBC was interfering with the magnetometer and keeping the compass from working. If I really need a massive amount of run time, I can always strap the SBC back on and charge it up.

Hopefully, Apple learned from the SBC mistakes and the new magnetic humpy energizer thing will be a pure delight.
    The SBC does have twice the capacity of this MagSafe battery though.  And doesn't lose as much charge in the transmission.  And there's no chance of it falling off.
    dewmeelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 55
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Question:
     Why do they specifically mention that it will not interfere with key fobs and credit cards? Is that for when it’s in your pocket, next to them? Because I seriously doubt Apple would release a product that would, so why call attention to that feature? Is it possible that we will be able to attach a MagSafe wallet to the back of it? That would be cool, though definitely thick to hold. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 55
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Wow is that thing...  ugly.  As much as I hate to say it, bring back Jony!  ugh - I regret saying it already.
    What would he do?  Make it a hemisphere instead of a rectangular cube?  Make the Apple logo a different color?
    fahlmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 55
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Japhey said:
    Question:
     Why do they specifically mention that it will not interfere with key fobs and credit cards? Is that for when it’s in your pocket, next to them? Because I seriously doubt Apple would release a product that would, so why call attention to that feature? Is it possible that we will be able to attach a MagSafe wallet to the back of it? That would be cool, though definitely thick to hold. 
    It charges by induction. Ie, it generates a magnetic field across copper coils to induce a transfer of electricity. This magnetic field if strong enough can cause problems for cards that have magnetic strips or perhaps interfere with key fobs that transmit a signal to determine if you are close to your car.

It's probably playing on the common problem of smartphones wiping hotel key cards. That's just normal stuff in phones. This is a 5W induction charger in your pocket or purse, so, there is more stuff it could affect, and therefore they are telling buyers this won't be a problem.
    StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    crowley said:
    Just make the phone thicker for heavens sake. No bump, bigger battery, happy me.
    Nah. I like my phones thin. I get all day battery and rarely need more…on the rare events when I do, I can attach an external battery. 
    williamlondonpatchythepiratemike1pscooter63Rayz2016kurai_kagewatto_cobramacguiDetnator
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Wow is that thing...  ugly.  As much as I hate to say it, bring back Jony!  ugh - I regret saying it already.
    Capacity seems like a disappointment. As does the fact it seems like it needs to be hardwired to charge at 15W. Unless they release a faster charging one with greater capacity Ill probably settle on Anker or Belkin options 
    John Gruber reports Anker’s only charges at 5W too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 55
    crowley said:
    dewme said:

The SBC does have twice the capacity of this MagSafe battery though.  And doesn't lose as much charge in the transmission.  And there's no chance of it falling off.
    Do you have a MagSafe iphone? I do, and I never worry about my wallet “falling off”. I mean, it’s not dangling off a backpack or something…it’s in my pocket. If this battery disconnects, you’ll know it.

The SBC was impractical unless you met the narrow use case (need moar battery, don’t have a preferred case, don’t care how it looks at all times). This MagSafe battery is more flexible for more use cases. 
    edited July 2021 williamlondonfastasleepmike1pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 55
    crowley said:
    dewme said:

The Smart Battery Case for the iPhone 11 has a 10.9 WH battery, and it costs $130. The SBC for the iPhone X series, I would have to go back and look, but it will be similar.

The MagSafe Battery for the iPhone 12 series has a 11.1 WH battery, and it costs $100. Since it uses induction, it does lose some energy to transmission inefficiency. I would like to see the loss quantified one of these days.

So, the MagSafe battery has about the same capacity as the SBC. Whether people will like the quick attach, detach features of MagSafe versus an always on case is up to them. Pluses and minuses per the usual.
    williamlondonjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 55
    flydog said:
    What would he do?  Make it a hemisphere instead of a rectangular cube?  Make the Apple logo a different color?
    If I had to guess...  make it look far better, but function far worse.  Imagine it being color matching and more consistent with the dimensions of the phone...  but tended to overheat and blocked any/all wireless communication from working.

Something like that.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 55
    tht said:
    crowley said:
    dewme said:

The Smart Battery Case for the iPhone 11 has a 10.9 WH battery, and it costs $130. The SBC for the iPhone X series, I would have to go back and look, but it will be similar.

The MagSafe Battery for the iPhone 12 series has a 11.1 WH battery, and it costs $100. Since it uses induction, it does lose some energy to transmission inefficiency. I would like to see the loss quantified one of these days.

So, the MagSafe battery has about the same capacity as the SBC. Whether people will like the quick attach, detach features of MagSafe versus an always on case is up to them. Pluses and minuses per the usual.
    Hmm, I did look it up before posting, and the MagSafe appears to have a 1460 mAH battery while the iPhone 11 SBC had 2 * 1430mAh cells.  I wasn't totally making it up, but I didn't notice the wattage.  I guess the MagSafe is putting out a higher voltage? 

I confess my electrical knowledge is fairly limited.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Does it work if your iPhone has a case?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 55
    crowley said:
    dewme said:

Do you have a MagSafe iphone? I do, and I never worry about my wallet “falling off”. I mean, it’s not dangling off a backpack or something…it’s in my pocket. If this battery disconnects, you’ll know it.

The SBC was impractical unless you met the narrow use case (need moar battery, don’t have a preferred case, don’t care how it looks at all times). This MagSafe battery is more flexible for more use cases. 
    I disagree that the SBC was impractical.  It wasn't the jazziest aesthetic, but it was comfortable to hold, amplified the speaker really well, and gave a nice battery boost.  I haven't used one since the iPhone 7, but assume the more recent ones are similar.  And it definitely wouldn't fall off (yeah I'm just being a bit salty, not a major complaint with the MagSafe).

I don't really need either, but if I had to choose I'd definitely go for the SBC.  Wireless power can jog on.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    crowley said:
    tht said:
    crowley said:
    dewme said:

Hmm, I did look it up before posting, and the MagSafe appears to have a 1460 mAH battery while the iPhone 11 SBC had 2 * 1430mAh cells.  I wasn't totally making it up, but I didn't notice the wattage.  I guess the MagSafe is putting out a higher voltage? 

I confess my electrical knowledge is fairly limited.
    The Smart Battery Case and the MagSafe battery are quite similar in terms of toplevel battery design: 2 batteries connected in series. Obviously a lot different in other aspects. When connected in series, the voltage increases by the sum of the output voltages of the batteries while the amps stay the same. The labeling shows the mAH as 1460 and the voltage as 7.6 V. Li-ion battery chemistry outputs about 3.8 V give or take. 7.6 just happens to be 3.8 x 2, therefore, two Li-ion batteries in series, with 1460 mAH at 7.6 V.

The Watt-Hours (WH) is the amount of energy in the whole power circuit and is the most reliable number. It is just amps x voltage x runtime. So 1460 mAH x 7.6 V = 11.1 WH. People should only be talking about battery capacity in terms of WH. The mAH is some weird nerd, gadget journalist term of art that needs to die.
    fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamcrowleyjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 55
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    tht said:
    Japhey said:
    Question:
    It charges by induction. Ie, it generates a magnetic field across copper coils to induce a transfer of electricity. This magnetic field if strong enough can cause problems for cards that have magnetic strips or perhaps interfere with key fobs that transmit a signal to determine if you are close to your car.

It's probably playing on the common problem of smartphones wiping hotel key cards. That's just normal stuff in phones. This is a 5W induction charger in your pocket or purse, so, there is more stuff it could affect, and therefore they are telling buyers this won't be a problem.
    Thanks for explaining. I usually get more information from the forum than through the article itself. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 55
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Frankly, I am all for going back to swappable battery packs.  My old Sanyo SCP-6000 had a standard battery for people who wanted a svelte look and an extended battery for people who wanted endurance.
    LOL this is a "svelte look" to you? You realize this battery has 1/7th the capacity of the one in your 12 Pro Max? Phone power requirements are a little different nowadays. Maybe you should go get a dumbphone.

pscooter63fahlmankurai_kagewatto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 38 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    shamino said:
    How much thicker does that make the phone?

And wouldn't it look a lot better if Apple would just make the whole phone a bit thicker and fill the extra space with a bigger battery?  And as a happy side-effect, get rid of the camera bump as well.
    Sure. Burden everyone with a bigger, heavier phone to satisfy the few outliers who can’t get a day out of the battery. That makes sense. 
    fastasleeppscooter63fahlmanRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 55
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I do have to say that the poofy bright white aesthetic on these is a bit jarring on the different colored iPhones.

How do I say it nicely… for some strange reason it reminds me of a monkey wearing a diaper. 

I think it’s because you don’t expect to see a monkey wearing a bright white diaper. It looks so out of place. 

I can’t unsee that image now.
    OctoMonkeypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 55
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 108member
    flydog said:
    Well, this one is a cheaper alternative with a great deal more battery power (5000mAh).
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001891108429.html?srcSns=sns_Copy&spreadType=socialShare&bizType=ProductDetail&social_params=20013155220&tt=MG&aff_platform=default&sk=_mMW8QYv&aff_trace_key=097fedc9a2fb48b2bdf52e78164486e2-1608779584824-03261-_mMW8QYv&shareId=20013155220&businessType=ProductDetail&platform=AE&terminal_id=1a4921a94f1a458a80462e7818ba6388