European consumer groups demand Apple explain iOS 14 battery drain

Posted:
in General Discussion
Members of the Euroconsumers Group have sent a letter to Apple asking it to address allegations of excessive iPhone battery drain in iOS 14.5 and later software updates.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

On July 9, the Spanish Organization of Consumers and Users, along with groups like Altroconsumo and Deco Proteste, penned a letter to the Cupertino tech giant over alleged "planned obsolescence" affecting recent iPhone models like the iPhone 12 and iPhone 11.

The consumer groups cite reports of battery drain and degraded performance reported by some users after downloading certain versions of iOS 14. Specifically, it names iOS 14.5, iOS 14.5.1, and iOS 14.6.

Back in June, a lawsuit levied at Apple attempted to connect reports of battery drain and performance bugs with allegations of planned obsolescence. Consumer reports, however, only indicate issues with battery life draining faster than expected, rather than performance hits.

The Euroconsumer member organizations, however, draw a connection between the battery drain reports and Apple's past performance management systems. Lawsuits against Apple have been filed in a number of European countries alleging that the company intentionally slowed down iPhones.

Back in 2017, Apple quietly introduced a battery management feature that could stave off random shutdowns and other issues on devices with chemically degraded batteries. The feature, which slowed performance on devices with aged batteries during times of peak power draw, caused controversy, despite proving a device that functioned, instead of one that would crash seemingly at random, and be completely unavailable to the consumer while in the crashed state.

According to the OCU, the purpose of the letter is to "create a dialogue with Apple to establish the best way to compensate consumers." The OCU did threaten to take the matter to court if Apple doesn't provide "an adequate response."

It isn't clear what an "adequate response" entails in this case. There is no clear indication of a universal faster battery drain induced by the operating system updates cited by the organization. For any claim of "planned obsolescence" to stick or be legally relevant, it would have to span a large array of consumers -- and it doesn't appear to be doing so, at this time.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bshankbshank Posts: 256member
    MYbe they should take a basic technology for dummies class to learn about how software works, bugs, apps running in background… or consumers can just go to the Genius Bar at an Apple store and get a decent explanation. But unfortunately people would rather not do the work to learn technology but rather believe Apple is just ripping them off. So dumb!
    MplsPkillroymike1swat671red oakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    I haven’t seen any significant change in battery life with my Xs and certainly haven’t seen a lot of reports or complaints of such so I’m not sure where this is coming from 
    killroythtred oakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,318member
    I used to think everyone was of the same intelligence level, but the past year and a half has reminded me that there are varying degrees of intelligence and widely-varying perspectives.

Yes, I, too, noticed battery drain after iOS 14, mostly with watchOS updates, but they were short-lived, returning to normal again after the system optimized itself. But hey! Let's all play victim and blame Apple for coordinating planned obscelence!

This past weekend, I was in the mountains camping at a facility with no cell towers and really poor wi-fi, and battery life was much shorter! That's because the devices were "struggling" to hold onto a connection. The brilliance of today's technology is that it's so invisible, so it's easy to blame the tech companies when things don't work perfectly acccording to our past experiences and standards.
    swat671FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    killroykillroy Posts: 281member
    Just how many apps are running at the same time? Some apps can just bugger a battery fast.
    jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Dear Euroconsumers Group,

Settings> Battery
    1. Check battery health
    2. Check what apps are consuming battery by percent and time over 24 hour and 10 day periods.

Note - Activity bars can be selected showing what app usage was by hour or day.

Kind regards,
    Consumer that understands how to use the tools Apple provided to monitor battery consumption

auxiobaconstangstompykillroyFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    on the other hand my wife's iPhone 8 got much better battery life after update to iPhone 14.6.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,953member
    Oh just F-off.
    My 11 hasn’t changed at all with 14, not has my SO’s, not any one of the several other people with iPhones that I know. This is just another group taking shots at Apple because it’s the thing to do this year. 
    PetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    The Podcasts app has been sucking the life out of my iPhone since 14.6 came out. The phone gets noticeably hot in my pocket while playing. That’s the only thing I’ve noticed, but it’s very much real. Same thing on the Mac too, so they really fucked something up in the new app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I’ve changed a battery for my secondary (work) iPhone 6s around 18 months ago and battery is around 80% … for me there is some software issue …
  • Reply 10 of 14
    swat671swat671 Posts: 154member
    Actually, after reading this, I have realized my battery SEEMS to be draining faster on me. I have an 8+, and it used to last a lot longe before I updated to 14.5. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 568member
    Just wait till Appke has to add on device antivirus, etc to allow other app stores. Apple will still get the blame. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Two things 

1.  People who don't understand technology shouldn't be talking about technology as if they were experts. 

2.  Occam's razor

killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    It's cute that so many think this is about the intelligence of the government officials asking these questions.

It's not.

It's simply a pretext to exercise government power to make Apple "do something", such as pay a multi-billion dollar fine.
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    It's cute that so many think this is about the intelligence of the government officials asking these questions.

It's not.

It's simply a pretext to exercise government power to make Apple "do something", such as pay a multi-billion dollar fine.
    Damned if you do damned if you don’t. If Apple had worked to maintain battery life instead of performance by managing performance more aggressively they wound be complaining. 
    watto_cobra