OWC announces Envoy Pro SX Thunderbolt portable SSD

Posted:
in General Discussion
OWC's new Envoy Pro SX external Thunderbolt 3 SSD combines speed and durability, making it a versatile drive that can handle whatever you throw at it.

The Envoy Pro SX is compact, and smaller than most smartphones. In addition, it only weighs half a pound, so it won't weigh you down while you're on the go.

Not only is it portable, it's also durable. The OWC Envoy Pro SX is dustproof, drop-proof up to four feet, and waterproof, capable of surviving a dunk into three feet of water for up to 30 minutes. An aluminum housing helps keep it cool and prevents damage when tossed in your tech bag.

Utilizing OWC's Aura Pro SSD storage technology with TRIM support, Envoy Pro SX connects through Thunderbolt 3 to deliver reliable performance at top speeds.

OWC says that it boasts a sequential read and write speed of up to 2487 megabytes per second, making it perfect for creatives working with production-level audio, design, and photography.

The OWC Envoy Pro SX is compatible with Thunderbolt and USB4 Macs and PCs. It is available in 240GB, 480GB, 1TB, and 2TB storage capacities, starting at $199 and running up to $529, available exclusively on MacSales.com

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Still waiting to see M1 Mac speed tests and when Apple will fix the write issues on all M1 Macs. 
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MikeJBMikeJB Posts: 9member
    rob53 said:
    Still waiting to see M1 Mac speed tests and when Apple will fix the read issues on all M1 Macs. 
    I’m pretty sure that this issue was just a reporting bug rather than an actual SSD wear concern.  As Apple insider reported back in June, “At the time, an AppleInsider source within Apple, not authorized to speak on behalf the company, told us that it was a data reporting error within the tools used to report SSD wear. According to that source, it was not believed to be an actual hardware issue with the SSD, nor were the SSDs aging notably faster than prior because of RAM swap or other reasons.”
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    MikeJB said:
    rob53 said:
    Still waiting to see M1 Mac speed tests and when Apple will fix the read issues on all M1 Macs. 
    I’m pretty sure that this issue was just a reporting bug rather than an actual SSD wear concern.  As Apple insider reported back in June, “At the time, an AppleInsider source within Apple, not authorized to speak on behalf the company, told us that it was a data reporting error within the tools used to report SSD wear. According to that source, it was not believed to be an actual hardware issue with the SSD, nor were the SSDs aging notably faster than prior because of RAM swap or other reasons.”
    I didn't say anything about SSD wear, everything I said was about the lack of write speed to a variety of external TB3 drives using fast NVMe blades. Read speed is >2000MB/s while write speed works hard to get to 1000MB/s. It isn't just me, it's also OWC/MacSales getting the same results. You can say the speed reporting of the applications might be a bug but it doesn't make sense when my internal speed is in the 2300MB/s range on both R&W. I've used a variety of speedtest apps and they all demonstrate this issue. Using the same external drive, I can actually get faster write speeds using my TB2 2015 iMac going through the Apple TB2 to TB3 adaptor. Read speeds are slower, which is understandable. These tests were done on almost brand new M1 Macs, not just mine.

If AI wants to talk to OWC and Apple about this, that's fine with me.