NSO Group CEO says law-abiding citizens have 'nothing to be afraid of'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    DAalseth said:
    Everyone here is opposing the company. That's an easy position to argue. I'm going to take up the challenge and try to defend the company. And so, I have two questions:

1. Does their software violate any US law?
    I can point to a lot of things that don’t violate US law that are just wrong.
    I love imposing my morality on other people, and I'm glad you feel the same way.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    DAalseth said:
    Everyone here is opposing the company. That's an easy position to argue. I'm going to take up the challenge and try to defend the company. And so, I have two questions:

I love imposing my morality on other people, and I'm glad you feel the same way.

I am a “law abiding citizen!”  Of course I have nothing to hide since nothing can remain hidden!  The Thought Police protect me from all you scum that think it’s okay to have privacy!!

I do have a question, though.  What does it mean to be a “law abiding citizen” in North Korea where the law is based on the daily whims of a dictator?
    baconstangdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    nadrielnadriel Posts: 92member
    Hulio likened NSO Group to an automaker. If a drunk driver hits someone, it's their fault and not the car manufacturer's.”

Except in this case they wouldn’t be the car manufacturer, but a company that makes tracking chips for cars or a company that hacks car GPS and sells software that gives access to it. Sure it wouldn’t be their if a drunk driver hits someone, but it’d be a different question if they sold this system to some stalker (as is the case here).
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    It should go without saying that "but you're not the target of our spying so why worry" does not actually protect your privacy.
    Privacy is the least of your worries when they are openly attacking the foundation of what little democracy we have left. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 35
    wg45678wg45678 Posts: 47member
    "…people who aren't criminals shouldn't be afraid of being surveilled."

Let's shorten that to "…
    …people who aren't criminals shouldn't be afraid of <insert noun or passive verb here>." 

That's a form of what everyone says just before somebody infringes your civil rights. Every freaking time. I'm 65 and I've heard all my life with regard to the police, interrogations, bugging, etc. 
    How can this total idiot not know that? 
    baconstangdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    NSO Group is based in Israel. What I'm about to say has nothing to do with Jews so my statement is not anti-semitic. The Department of Energy (DOE) keeps a list of sensitive countries. I'm sure this list is used by all US government agencies. Guess which country is on that list? 

Check out: https://www.gao.gov/assets/rced-00-140.pdf Israel is on the list of sensitive countries. It's been on this list for decades. This means any contact with these countries must be documented and the applicable security offices informed. Why is Israel on this list? Because of companies and activities like NSO Group. They're not the only ones, there are plenty of them. 
    gatorguybaconstangdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Sure, they are 100% correct.
    The question is, whose laws?
    In Nazi Germany law abiding citizens had nothing to fear, either; it was just that the laws were written in a way that was atrocious,
    In pre-abolishionist US, law abiding citizens had nothing to fear, either; except runaway slaves weren’t “law abiding”.

So, frankly, who gives a flying fuck about the law? It’s ethics that counts, not some bendable laws.
    baconstangmattinozdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Anyone in authority who says to you "you have nothing to fear if you are law abiding" is someone you better be very Leary of. History is littered with people put in prison because they thought wrong. This is a multi thousand year old truth. There's thousands upon thousands of laws on the books. You have broken a law (often unknowingly) it is a mathematical certainty. The book (and the gray areas in the book) can and may be used against you. That's a fact. 

If someone in authority asks you a question, never! ever! believe "I have nothing to concern myself with, I haven't done anything". Great reading at the institute for Justice that can arise you of that reality. 

dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    DAalseth said:

The sanctity of other people’s morality can get fucked when it involves spying on me.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Is this guy really as much of a moron as his statement indicates?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member

2. Does their software violate the Apple App Store development agreement? https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/ ;

You are going to take up the challenge to defend NSO? Is that the challenge to who can makes the most ridiculous statement in this thread? Are you serious or suffering from some disability that drives you to do this?

1. It violates quite a few laws in the USA and most of the western world.
    2. Your second question is absurd and indicates you have not actually read the article. 

Stop embarrassing yourself.
    williamlondondysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 35
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

2. Does their software violate the Apple App Store development agreement? https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/ ;

Huh. Doing something only because it’s hard doesn’t make it the correct thing to do.

You can bet that if an end user or independent developer created and distributed spy products that violated software security, they’d fall afoul of things like the DMCA and The Patriot Act. While both of those are questionable laws, they’re also aimed at civilians, for the benefit of corporations, and aren’t actually made to stop corporations from taking the same otherwise criminal actions. The likely loophole here is “for sale to law enforcement agencies only”.

Just in case you weren’t sure: ethics matter. Yes, even in business.
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 33 of 35
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    tommikele said:
    Is this guy really as much of a moron as his statement indicates?
    He’s a laissez-faire capitalist who financially benefits from sociopathic, even fascistic, customers. He believes whatever is in his financial interests to believe. Intelligence isn’t relevant to the equation.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 35
    wg45678 said:
    "…people who aren't criminals shouldn't be afraid of being surveilled."

Let's shorten that to "……people who aren't criminals shouldn't be afraid of <insert noun or passive verb here>." 

That's a form of what everyone says just before somebody infringes your civil rights. Every freaking time. I'm 65 and I've heard all my life with regard to the police, interrogations, bugging, etc. How can this total idiot not know that? 
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on him not understanding it."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 35
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    Time and time again, Israelis seem to have forgotten that WW2 happened.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra