HDMI 2.1 question. Apple TV 4K or PS5?

Posted:
in Genius Bar
I recently purchased a new Apple TV 4K (2021) and was wondering if there were any advantages to connecting it to the HDMI 2.1 port on my LG BX TV (instead of the HDMI 2.0 port)

I currently have a Sonos Arc connected the the TV’s eARC port and a PlayStation 5 connected to the only other HDMI 2.1 port.

Should I swap the Apple TV with the PS5? Which device would benefit the most from the HDMI 2.1 port?

Appreciate your help with this one! :)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Krissau said:
    I recently purchased a new Apple TV 4K (2021) and was wondering if there were any advantages to connecting it to the HDMI 2.1 port on my LG BX TV (instead of the HDMI 2.0 port)

I currently have a Sonos Arc connected the the TV’s eARC port and a PlayStation 5 connected to the only other HDMI 2.1 port.

Should I swap the Apple TV with the PS5? Which device would benefit the most from the HDMI 2.1 port?

Appreciate your help with this one! :)

HDMI 2.0 has a max bandwidth of 18 gigabits per second. This is fine for 4K60. HDMI 2.1 is 48 gigabits per second, can do 4K120, and supports dynamic HDR.

Assuming both ports are equal for ARC and whatnot, I'd go PS5 on the 2.1, and Apple TV on a 2.0.
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 2 of 2
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member
    The only current use of the HDMI 2.1 port on the AppleTV is to enable the TV, and devices connected to the TV, to send audio to the AppleTV. The AppleTV then plays the audio through HomePods paired with it. 

If you want use your sound bar to pkay all audio, follow Mike’s advice and save the ARC port on your TV for the sound bar. 

Unless you have, or are planning to buy, a pair of HomePods, the eARC feature on the new AppleTV is not of much use at this time. You should just return your new AppleTV and get the outgoing 4K model at a great discount! 
    edited August 2021