PowerMac is dead. Apple presents the ...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
MacsRGood4U wrote in a previous thread:
Quote:

Public perception is that the PowerMac line is fataly underpowered. Apple therefore would certainly not use that name for the new line of 970 computers. ...

I thought this was a good point. What *is* Apple going to call this next line of computers? I do think PowerMac has worn its name out, as well as the Gx name. I think they're going to change it (and they should), especially to reflect the 64-bit aspect of this chip. As much as the consumer might not know the difference between 32 and 64-bit architectures, Apple will try and make this difference apparent. As someone mentioned earlier, think 4-cylinder engine vs. 8-cylinder engine.

Apple presents the Sexquadron line of computers featuring the IBM Sharkbyte

Ya' see, you need to work "sex" in there somewhere. I know, not that good, but let's see what *you're* marketing department comes up with.

Props to MacsRGood4U for giving me the idea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    PowerMac X1
  • Reply 2 of 122
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    PowermacXtreme!

All the way baby!
  • Reply 3 of 122
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Power Rip Off
  • Reply 4 of 122
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    X1 sounds good...I do hate the whole extereme thing, though...
  • Reply 5 of 122
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I was thinking of the old test planes...I figure with ibm making 3? diffrent powerpc 970 types in the next 2 years they could go on to X2, X3 etc.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    "Introducing the Apple Granny Smith 970"
  • Reply 7 of 122
    Maybe something simple as the XMac. But that is going along the lines of the Xserve.

My choice would be more like PowerX970 although that sounds a little generic.

Beats me!!!
  • Reply 8 of 122
    The PowerX

(Power-ten or power-ecks, whichever you prefer)
  • Reply 9 of 122
    They probly won't change nuthin'
  • Reply 10 of 122
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    My vote is for "PowerMac 970", but I don't think Apple will use it.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    xStation for the prosumer line (replacing Powermac). xServe stays as is. God only knows about the Powerbook line when it gets a .90um 970-variant.
  • Reply 12 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

My vote is for "PowerMac 970", but I don't think Apple will use it.

Me too. It'll get to weird to look at "Powermac 970 2x2.3 Ghz"!
  • Reply 13 of 122
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    With Apple's continuing use of more and more difficult to pronounce words for their products, Apple has now released the Mac^X (I'd put Mac with a little x sign up above and to the right, but I can't do that here). No one knows whether to pronounce it Mac Ten, Mac Eks, Mac To The Power Of Ten, Mac To The Power Of Eks, or "Mak-in-tyne" as Jobs calls it. But not one other person will call it Mak-In-Tyne because they know Jobs doesn't even know how to pronounce his company's operating system.

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe...

Apple has decided to ditch their simplistic product names (iMac, iBook, PowerMac G4) for an older system reminicient of the Spindler years. As many recall, "Spindler's List" consisted of the 5xxx series, the 6xxx series, the 7xxx series, the 8xxx series, and the 9xxx series. However, Apple will put a twist on it - they will add unnecessary words to the beginnings and ends of the model number. And they will add a fifth digit to distinguish between the pre-G3 PowerMacs (using a four-digit number) and the new models. For example, the first lineup Apple will release will get rid of the eMac and iMac in favor or the Mac Super51000/700 or 800 Pro and the Mac Super61000/800 or 1000 Pro. The PowerMacs will be replaced with the Ultra71000/1000 Pro Extreme, the Ultra81000/2500 Pro Extreme, and the Ultra81000/2840 Pro Extreme. PowerBooks and iBooks are now all known as PowerBooks - but I won't get into those!

As you can see, this naming system is incredibly efficient. Every machine is now a "Pro" machine, and real professional machines are now "Pro Extreme". Also, consumer machines are "Super" while pro machines are "Ultra." Finally, notice that the 5xxxx series uses a CRT screen, the 6xxxx series uses an LCD screen, the 7xxxx series use a single processor in a tower, and the 8xxxx series uses dual processors in a tower. My suspicion is that Apple's saving the 9xxxx series for an upcoming quad-processor machine. When they hit octets... I suppose they'll just have to add yet another word or symbol onto their model numbers.
  • Reply 14 of 122
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_killmore

Apple presents the Sexquadron line of computers featuring the IBM Sharkbyte

Ya' see, you need to work "sex" in there somewhere. I know, not that good, but let's see what *you're* marketing department comes up with.

Props to MacsRGood4U for giving me the idea.

PowerMac SE/30.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    If they're going to change the naming for the PowerMac, I hope they choose something that's new and differ completely from the previous naming schemes we have seen from Apple - or any other company for that sake.

A name like .... like .... like .... God

Apple God(tm): supernatural power - at your fingertips
  • Reply 16 of 122
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    I bet they'll go for something dumb like:

Mac X

expecting people to call it

Mac 10
  • Reply 17 of 122
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    From a consumer's point of view PPC970 is just another generation of PowerPC, so I don't see anything wrong about calling it G5 (as in G4+1).
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

PowerMac SE/30.

8) Someone's been reading their Mac Bible...
  • Reply 19 of 122
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Power Mac 64..."
  • Reply 20 of 122
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Power Mac 64..."

And where would Apple go next time?

Power Mac 65

Wouldn't it also look almost the same as the G4?

PowerMac G4

PowerMac 64