New energy regulations prompt Dell to stop sales of high-performance PCs in six states

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    Because Dell is a privately owned company Michael Dell can do whatever he wants, ....
    Do you maybe want to rethink that? 

From the times of the cavemen huddled around campfires roasting their saber tooth tiger kills, society has imposed rules on its members for the good of and for the future of that society and its members.

edited July 2021 killroy
  • Reply 22 of 30
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    rob53 said:
    Interesting. My woodworking equipment draws a lot more than gaming PCs. I wonder when they’ll go after these plus welders, CNC machines (plasma and laser cutters) and other high current tools. 
    That will happen when the electricity goes off. 
  • Reply 23 of 30
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    This is just the start. Dell will be out of business in the coming years. Intel to follow. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    So much drama in some of these posts. These are nothing more than steps to help influence power efficiency of off the shelf computers. It feels no different to me then setting vehicle efficiency requirements. No one is stopping you from customizing or building exactly what you want. But Clearly CA and these other states want to start putting more pressure on manufactures to be more mindful of performance per watt. 

I'm beyond exhausted of folks throwing their hands up in outrage over next to nothing. Take a deep breath, stop reading inflammatory articles on the internet that are intended to make you angry and go for a freaking walk.

And yeah, also as a proud resident of California I can also say SWEET!

melgrossGeorgeBMacjony0roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    chadbag said:
    Another reason you couldn't pay me to live in California.   Those other states dont have much draw either.  
    Eventually, every place will be like that. You can’t hide forever.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    lkrupp said:
    Because Dell is a privately owned company Michael Dell can do whatever he wants, so he pulled high-end products from those states. i wonder how the big-time gamers in California will react to this. 

If Dell were still a publicly owned corporation there would have been a crap-storm of major proportions and Dell stock would plummet. I sometimes wish that Apple could go private so it could give the finger to stupidity. Buy me out, Apple! I’m ready.
    I guess you don’t know this, but Dell hasn’t been a private company for years. Its stock is up today to $96.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamgatorguyjony0crowleykillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    david808david808 Posts: 22member
    Time for my new business: Ship it to me in Missouri, and I'll ship it to you in California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington for $200 per order. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,165member
    tedz98 said:
    Are these regulations just looking at power consumption? Or are they looking at efficiency? You can have lots of very inefficient computers that use lower levels of power. Yet there are many more of these computers than high end gaming machines. Overall it’s a stupid concept. Especially if you can bypass the regulations by purchasing a custom configured system. And what of the academics who use high end computers, even off the shelf systems, for research? Do I not have the freedom to choose PC gaming as a leisure activity? Somehow that’s being viewed as evil. Next thing you know Governor Newsom will be at my door demanding I get vaccinated and taking away my “inefficient” gaming computer. Freedoms lost. Tyranny is next.

Your point on consumption vs efficiency is a good one.
    The rest of the post is just Modern Libertarian dogma.  
    No, you live in society and you don't get to do anything you want, anytime you want and anyway you want.

You aren't squawking about a specific policy you believe is improper but the ability of authority to exert authority.  That's what spoiled children do.
    I don’t read libertarian dogma in the post. They were pointing out the rapid proliferation in badly designed regulation as the legislators in that state try to micromanage the myriad choices it citizens make.  
    All this legislation really means is that problems are caused for companies that sell high end computers. 
     It does nothing for those consumers that build their own gaming, research, database or industrial computers. Or Bitcoin miners. Which is what they will do.
    It also means that if a company was thinking of building computers in the US, it won’t be in California.  
    It also means that if you wanted to build a factory making anything that required decent computing power, it won’t be in California.
    it means if you were thinking of building a research laboratory, it won’t be California.
    Making things , be it industrial, high tech, or high end research, it won’t be California.
    on the bright side, it will encourage growth in drop shipping businesses.

a superior regulatory approach would be to provide incentives for computers that deliver more processing per watt, rather than a badly designed stick.
    a superior regulatory approach would be to provide incentives and remove impediments for low emission, reliable, high power production, rather than just saying no. 

• Reply 29 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    entropys said:
    tedz98 said:
    Are these regulations just looking at power consumption? Or are they looking at efficiency? You can have lots of very inefficient computers that use lower levels of power. Yet there are many more of these computers than high end gaming machines. Overall it’s a stupid concept. Especially if you can bypass the regulations by purchasing a custom configured system. And what of the academics who use high end computers, even off the shelf systems, for research? Do I not have the freedom to choose PC gaming as a leisure activity? Somehow that’s being viewed as evil. Next thing you know Governor Newsom will be at my door demanding I get vaccinated and taking away my “inefficient” gaming computer. Freedoms lost. Tyranny is next.

No, you live in society and you don't get to do anything you want, anytime you want and anyway you want.

You aren't squawking about a specific policy you believe is improper but the ability of authority to exert authority.  That's what spoiled children do.
    I don’t read libertarian dogma in the post. They were pointing out the rapid proliferation in badly designed regulation as the legislators in that state try to micromanage the myriad choices it citizens make.  
    All this legislation really means is that problems are caused for companies that sell high end computers. 
     It does nothing for those consumers that build their own gaming, research, database or industrial computers. Or Bitcoin miners. Which is what they will do.
    It also means that if a company was thinking of building computers in the US, it won’t be in California.  
    It also means that if you wanted to build a factory making anything that required decent computing power, it won’t be in California.
    it means if you were thinking of building a research laboratory, it won’t be California.
    Making things , be it industrial, high tech, or high end research, it won’t be California.

a superior regulatory approach would be to provide incentives for computers that deliver more processing per watt, rather than a badly designed stick.
    a superior regulatory approach would be to provide incentives and remove impediments for low emission, reliable, high power production, rather than just saying no. 

entropys said:
    tedz98 said:

Yeh, good points.
    But, when the guy I was replying to says
    "Do I not have the freedom to choose PC gaming as a leisure activity? Somehow that’s being viewed as evil. Next thing you know Governor Newsom will be at my door demanding I get vaccinated and taking away my “inefficient” gaming computer. Freedoms lost. Tyranny is next."

That hyperbole sounds more like modern day Libertarian dogma to me than it does logic.

p-dogkillroy
  • Reply 30 of 30
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    Oh and another thought, what about Hollywood and render farms for CGI.
    watto_cobra