Apple releases watchOS 7.6.1 update with bug fixes, security updates

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2021
Apple has released watchOS 7.6.1, a minor update to the Apple Watch operating system that likely only contains bug fixes and security updates.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The watchOS 7.6.1 update, released on Wednesday, comes a couple of days after Apple released iOS 14.7.1 and iPadOS 14.7.1. Those point releases included fixes related to an Apple Watch bug that prevented it being unlocked when connected to Touch ID devices.

Additionally, the software updates also patched a security vulnerability that may have allowed arbitrary code execution. Apple said it is aware of reports that the issue has been exploited in the wild, which likely warranted the minor point release.

As of writing, Apple has yet to update its security updates page with information related to watchOS 7.6.1. However, given that macOS Big Sur 11.5.1 also contained a fix for the issue, it's likely that the watchOS update does, too.

Apple's new watchOS 7.6.1 update should now be available to users as an over-the-air update. Users can also install the update manually in the Watch app on an iPhone, given that the Apple Watch is at least 50% charged and placed on a charger.

Apple on Tuesday also released new public beta builds of its milestone iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15, and watchOS 8 updates.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    alexclstalexclst Posts: 15member
    This update isn't available yet for my Series 3 (regardless if it could actually install it without an unpair/repair or not).
    edited July 2021 buttesilver
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    alexclst said:
    This update isn't available yet for my Series 3 (regardless if it could actually install it without an unpair/repair or not).
    I saw a post a while back that Apple had fixed it so you could update the GPS series 3 without wiping/unpairing it. Does anyone know which watchOS version that was?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    MplsP said:
    alexclst said:
    I saw a post a while back that Apple had fixed it so you could update the GPS series 3 without wiping/unpairing it. Does anyone know which watchOS version that was?
    That is coming with watchOS 8, as far as I know. In the past, though, the 7.x.x updates installed without issue on my Watch. Regardless, the update is still not even offered to me. Is anyone else seeing it? Maybe it just doesn't apply to Series 3 anyway?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Actually, this update isn't even listed by Apple on their page of watchOS 7 updates. Are we actually sure they released this update?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    alexclst said:
    Not showing here (LA, CA) on Watch 6 either...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    It’s not visible for me either (series 5, watchOS 7.6 is shown as “up to date”). 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 156member
    Nope. Not available. “watchOS 7.6: Your Apple Watch is up to date…”
  • Reply 8 of 16
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 809member
    peterhart said:
    Not available on Series 6 in New York as of 3:45 PM.
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    3:45 PM in Arkansas, 93 degrees. Series 5 Watch running 7.6. I am up to date with no update available.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Apple Watch 6- Running 7.6-still no update beyond that.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Apple reportedly quickly pulled it for unknown reasons.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    peterhart said:
    Same here for my Series 4.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    nope ... nada ... nothing ... no show ... crickets chirping

The good news is that if Apple yanked it at the last moment, it probably had sort of heinous brick-worthy issue.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    tom1381tom1381 Posts: 1member
    Same here for Series 5, no update. A bad update would make many folks unhappy.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Just showed up on my series 6 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Just updated my S6 to 7.6.1.